Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We've driven through Shiprock, NM a few times. It's on the Navajo Rez. Along the highway you'll find dozens of Indians with pickups selling coal by the gunny sack, hay by the bale, etc.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We've driven through Shiprock, NM a few times. It's on the Navajo Rez. Along the highway you'll find dozens of Indians with pickups selling coal by the gunny sack, hay by the bale, etc.

There’s two abandoned coal mines by Kayenta. The Navajo dug coal out of the ground before Peabody got there. I imagine they still do. The coal mine fed a power plant and the EPA said shut it down.

In my opinion Peabody screwed up the land by using so much water that they lowered the water table and now the natives are screwed.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Miguel - did you find coal locally? I’d be curious about where it can be found. I know we don’t live too far apart.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never used coal but am following this thread

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have never burned any coal as an adult, but i sure shoveled my share as a kid. it was all we used. the whole house would take on a sort of dark shade inside from the coal dust and smoke.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Where can you buy coal?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of coal mines had coal for sale pretty cheap. When I was a kid almost all campuses had coal fired boiler in the center of the campus, including schools and hospitals, even downtown businesses. You could buy coal at lumber yards, many houses had coal fired furnaces including ours.

I’m mostly familiar with mines in the west but there were many coal mines in the east. Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota and Montana have or had coal mines.

I guess in these days, I’d google “coal for sale” or ask at local lumber yards.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
'Bless my soul," it's green mark coal'. I scooped some of that in the old stocker hopper,

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tractor Supply - Anthracite & Rice Coal. Never knew!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger
A lot of coal mines had coal for sale pretty cheap. When I was a kid almost all campuses had coal fired boiler in the center of the campus, including schools and hospitals, even downtown businesses. You could buy coal at lumber yards, many houses had coal fired furnaces including ours.

I’m mostly familiar with mines in the west but there were many coal mines in the east. Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota and Montana have or had coal mines.

I guess in these days, I’d google “coal for sale” or ask at local lumber yards.

When I was attending the Univ of Idaho back in the '60's, there were steam tunnels connecting all the older buildings. They were off limits but many students would go down there and run around through them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about the charcoal idea mentioned earlier? Anyone done that?

I was thinking we would burn wood during waking hours and throw in some charcoal before going to sleep to extend the length of the last burn. Does that make sense?

This is my setup:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've burned a lot of charcoal in a cylinder stove. Just make sure ya use a grate. Or the fire might be laying under the stove in the morning.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Miguel - did you find coal locally? I’d be curious about where it can be found. I know we don’t live too far apart.

McCabes supply in Watertown had a good supply of all types. I got anthracite stove coal, golf ball to baseball size. $6 per 40 pound bag. I’m going to give it a go again today. I think the trick is to get a good bed of hardwood coals before adding the coal. I’ll update with what I find.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
No luck getting the coal to burn. I burned a hot fire of well seasoned hard maple for 2 hours. I put about two big coffee cans of coal into the bed of hardwood coals. Then I put 4 or 5 pieces of maple on top. I left it like this at noon. I got home at 5 to find the wood had burned to ash and the coal was discolored but not burning.
I think I’m trying charcoal next. I also think I’ll be making an extra trip into the camp site with a load of seasoned maple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by miguel
No luck getting the coal to burn. I burned a hot fire of well seasoned hard maple for 2 hours. I put about two big coffee cans of coal into the bed of hardwood coals. Then I put 4 or 5 pieces of maple on top. I left it like this at noon. I got home at 5 to find the wood had burned to ash and the coal was discolored but not burning.
I think I’m trying charcoal next. I also think I’ll be making an extra trip into the camp site with a load of seasoned maple.

I see you did not take my advice for a better outcome. Can lead a horse to water, but.......

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I started out with 4 large pieces laying side by side touching on the base of the stove. I built a fire with split dry cedar kindling. With the kindling burning hot I put split dry hard maple on top, appx. 2”x2” pieces. With the maple burning hot, I put about a coffee can of coal on top of that. About 30 minutes later I put in larger pieces, about 4”x4” and another can of coal. This is how I left it. 5 hours later, wood ash and cold discolored coal. I don’t see how I deviated much from your suggestions.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm betting your using anthracite coal. Bituminous burns much easier. I start a fire with regular wood. Prior to bed time I throw several football size lumps in and set the damper at 50%. Coal needs air to burn

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Charcoal puts out a lot of CO. Make sure you know what you are doing using it in a tent.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BWalker
I'm betting your using anthracite coal. Bituminous burns much easier. I start a fire with regular wood. Prior to bed time I throw several football size lumps in and set the damper at 50%. Coal needs air to burn

Yes, I’m using anthracite.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by miguel
Originally Posted by BWalker

Yes, I’m using anthracite.

That's your problem unless you burn the stove wide open you won't get it to light.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 48 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,058
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.