Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Diamond Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hello, I have attached a link to a Savage 1899 for sale. Not sure I am interested in buying it, but would like to learn something from some of you experts. Could you look at this gun and tell me if you see anything that doesn't match here. It was suggested to me that the barrel stampings do not match the serial #/year made, and that the barrel is a much later (newer) barrel. What say you folks?? Thanks for the learning lesson.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=305481415

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might take a beating around here for posting a live auction. Personally, I don't care, but others here take some offense to it. Cause ya know, if its on gunbroker, its a secret. That would be me teaching you a lesson ;-)

Nice wood on it.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm not much for internet appraisals but if you buy that, please contact me about a bridge I have for sale down in San Diego...

Take care y'all!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Goodness...I haven't been around here long but even I know what to look for. Someone else will have to weigh in on the value.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, one thing to realize is that if you were really interested in that auction, posting it here just brought it to the attention of 100 different collectors. Many would already have seen it, others probably wouldn't or might have overlooked something that somebody here would point out as very desirable. You can always PM somebody here to ask their opinion, and hopefully they won't snipe it from under you.

Now having said that.. that one's already been through the auction site at least once so it's fair game to talk about. Nobody bought it the first time it was up.

Reblue, much later barrel, later buttplate. The wood and buttplate might be a factory replacement, but considering the reblue I wouldn't bet on it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Lots of lurkers hang around here too so it might be more than 100 became aware of this rifle as a result of the posting. Also there may have been some that had already seen this rifle and groaned when they saw it posted. However, those same people(who planned to bid) are now delighted to find out they have been saved from making a serious mistake smile

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not a collector gun, but would likely make a very pretty hunter/shooter. I considered buying it to deer hunt with. I'd be a bit more interested were it 30-30, because I already have the necessary reloading gear.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
lets have a tally count. who are here has not already seen this? ITS AN AUCTION, the highest bidder wins.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
texken, what does a tally count mean? Do you have a count of how many members watch this forum, much less how many guests that have never joined watch it?

So 30 members admit they saw it. There's usually 40 people viewing the forum at any time all day long. That's what.. 300 people that view the forum? 400? 1000? No way of knowing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess you answered the ?, however, guest can watch but cannot post or go to links posted? my .02, I could care less if someone posts an auction, I will when I see something that might be interesting to ALL THE PEOPLE THAT DON'T KNOW ABOUT GUNBROKER

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guests can definitely follow posted links.

They can even follow posted links to auctions that have have expired.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
This is an age old pissing match here amongst the Savages....I have violated the unwritten but generally won't again as the beeeaaatching isn't worth my time.

This is a non-starter really. Some do....some don't....some like....some won't....let's agree to disagree and not get all [bleep] over this....I am here to repair old chapped arses....I carry a 55 gal. Drum of bag balm just for that reason!

Let me know if I can help...until then....GFY! (might be my new fave moniker!!!!)....cafepress.com even makes stickers!

Last edited by fatjack34; 09/11/12.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by texken
lets have a tally count. who are here has not already seen this? ITS AN AUCTION, the highest bidder wins.

I've seen it run for the past 3-4 listings
Not a Bad rifle at all. But may not command the dollar asking in today's economy or may even go higher now.
Who knows?
Frankly, if some one wanted it it would of been gone, toes get stomped on by posting live auctions, then again some times not, can be good for the seller or bad, same goes for a buyer.

Here's a Better Link and all can be look at. grin
http://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Action-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=savage

As all said with valid points.

Last edited by 1899sav; 09/11/12.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I'm not much for internet appraisals but if you buy that, please contact me about a bridge I have for sale down in San Diego...

Take care y'all!

Mike
I think a crossed that bridge a few tomes your way. grin
I even got charged a toll! grin
That's A Good One.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yup, a good education ain't cheap wink

D
Diamond Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I guess I need to clarify something and then maybe understand better what this forum is all about. I initially posted the auction on this forum because I am new to collecting Savages, and wanted to learn something about Savages from some Savage experts BEFORE I go and buy something that is not as described and be sorry for it later. I don't know how well off you folks are, but I can not afford to do that. I am fully aware that by posting the auction, you all, and who knows how many other people are now aware of it and might buy it. I could care less. As far as not posting live auctions for the purpose of learning something, help me out with, why not?? I don't get that at all. I have been a Winchester collector for some time and belong to Winchester Arms Collectors Association and take part in their forums all the time. Auctions get posted all the time by members trying to learn something and by other members who see something for sale that is really misrepresented and want to make members aware of the item so someone doesn't get stuck/scammed. All of this has been a huge help to me and countless other collectors. The sellers that put this stuff up for sale are certainly not above having their items looked at and discussed for authenticity and learning purposes. I would think you experts would want to educate collectors, both the brand new ones and some of the older ones who just are not aware of some things with your Savages. I would like to use this forum to learn about Savages. I would think that you Savage collectors would want to promote collecting Savages (the gun), and try to educate us dummies so we can become knowledgeable, viable Savage collectors. If this forum is not for that purpose, please let me know. I have appreciated the honest, knowledgeable answers to my initial post concerning the originality and authenticity of this rifle. I sure learned something, and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one. I am looking for a nice example of an original 1899 and don't want one that is not in original condition. Thanks, Diamond

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Diamond....I hear ya! I agree as well! Some here do not agree and as such can get a nasty case of sandvage on the Savage thread....but they are ALL mostly good and decent folk who are without equal the MOST knowledgeable bunch of Savage men the world over...and albeit some occasionally suffer bloating, water retention and feminine odor regarding live auctions, I really don't think they stay pissy for long. It is a mindset more than anything....some like the pass of info. Whilst others feel they have found the auction and nobody else with even half a clue is onto their secret gem. Not likely! But to each his own. Hang around awhile and enjoy the madness!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Diamond
I guess I need to clarify something and then maybe understand better what this forum is all about. I initially posted the auction on this forum because I am new to collecting Savages, and wanted to learn something about Savages from some Savage experts BEFORE I go and buy something that is not as described and be sorry for it later. I don't know how well off you folks are, but I can not afford to do that. I am fully aware that by posting the auction, you all, and who knows how many other people are now aware of it and might buy it. I could care less. As far as not posting live auctions for the purpose of learning something, help me out with, why not?? I don't get that at all. I have been a Winchester collector for some time and belong to Winchester Arms Collectors Association and take part in their forums all the time. Auctions get posted all the time by members trying to learn something and by other members who see something for sale that is really misrepresented and want to make members aware of the item so someone doesn't get stuck/scammed. All of this has been a huge help to me and countless other collectors. The sellers that put this stuff up for sale are certainly not above having their items looked at and discussed for authenticity and learning purposes. I would think you experts would want to educate collectors, both the brand new ones and some of the older ones who just are not aware of some things with your Savages. I would like to use this forum to learn about Savages. I would think that you Savage collectors would want to promote collecting Savages (the gun), and try to educate us dummies so we can become knowledgeable, viable Savage collectors. If this forum is not for that purpose, please let me know. I have appreciated the honest, knowledgeable answers to my initial post concerning the originality and authenticity of this rifle. I sure learned something, and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one. I am looking for a nice example of an original 1899 and don't want one that is not in original condition. Thanks, Diamond

Sounds like you're just looking for free advice before buying Savages rather than learning about them.

Learning takes time, quite a bit of time in relation to Savages because there's a LOT of information that's not printed or available from anyplace except here, unless you can find a long time collector to help you out.

Also, learning about Savages can be done as easily on closed auctions as live auctions. In fact probably better on closed auctions because people who were interested in bidding on it will speak up honestly rather than stay quiet or badmouth it trying to keep competitive bidding down.

In addition we have hundreds, probably thousands of pictures posted from several Savage Fests and on savagela.org that are available to all for viewing, for questions and answers, and for learning.

But in the end, there's no strict rules here. If you want to post live auctions, then post live auctions. It's not like a lot of the long time collectors aren't tired of the crap posted here and don't hang around anyway. Losing more of them is all that can happen.

PS: yeah, I know I'm one of them that posts crap here occasionally.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would not buy this time of year unless you find one that has provenance you can trust. The sh.., peddlers are out in force for pre hunting season to get rid of shi. what won't move in their shops.

I'm a waca member to lm # 43. Watch them damn auctions for a year or so...and that is still the worst place to buy..imo

D
Diamond Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey Calhoun, I can tell that your very knowledgeable and a little bit of a smart guy...that's good! Yes, I am looking for free advice and knowledge...that's learning in my book. What...you want me to pay you for your knowledge? You should be O so proud to mentor to a new guy. What's the matter with you anyway?? Diamond

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,190
Posts18,523,946
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.