Print Thread
Hop To
R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am looking to buy a stainless model 70 in 300 win or 300 wsm as my do it all rifle. I like the EW stock, but hate a fluted barrel. Does anyone know how the barrel contours compare between the EW and the ultimate shadow? I like a little heft to a barrel.
Thanks

HR IC

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I called FN/Win about two weeks ago and asked this exact question to one of their techs. He stated other than the stock and flutes, the stainless US and the EW are identical and the stocks will interchange perfectly.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rusty75
I am looking to buy a stainless model 70 in 300 win or 300 wsm as my do it all rifle. I like the EW stock, but hate a fluted barrel. Does anyone know how the barrel contours compare between the EW and the ultimate shadow? I like a little heft to a barrel.
Thanks

Holy chit, what does it matter if the EW shoots lights out. So it doesn't have the "heft" what are you really out?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What does it matter if he chooses to buy one without the flutes?

R
rusty75 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am rough with a rifle as I walk up to 10 miles Ina day of hunting. I also take it in an Argo where it can be banged around. I just don't like sharp edges on metal. I am hoping profile is same as I could slap an ultimate shadow in an EW stock and have what I am looking for ( I think).

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a New Haven stainless Ultimate Shadow (24" barrel) in a Bell & Carson Ultralight stock which is the same as the EW stock.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Like I said above, according to Winchester you can. I would call them Monday and ask them yourself just to make you more comfortable about it.

I don't care for the looks of the fluted barrel either, and you can have it without flutes for the same price by buying the Ultimate Shadow and the EW stock seperately from Stocky's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's all personal preference. Some guys don't like the flutes and some do. This is what winchester says regarding their fluted barrels, "The fluted barrel allows us to give you a stiffer barrel profile that does not carry excessive weight. So the Extreme Weather SS feels very light but offers accuracy of a heavier rifle." . Both are great rifles in my opinion and offer excellent accuracy. If the OP can swing the extra dough for a mcmillan compact edge he'd also shave extra weight for those long days out on the hunt.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the EW's fluted barrel. But if I were planning on replacing the stock anyway would seriously consider going with the Ultimate Shadow if it would save me money. But the Edge I put on my EW is almost 1/2 lb lighter and not that expensive after selling the take off EW stock. I don't know if a used Ultimate Shadow stock would sell for enough to matter.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The going rate (ebay or classifieds) in re-sale for the duratouch (ultimate shadow) stock is right around $50.00 if that tells you anything.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I like the fluted barrel on the EW but abhor the chunky thick non-checkered slick azzed B&C stock, I would prefer the Ultimate shadow stock by far over the EW stock. I would love to have an EW action in a McEdge stock, now that would be the chit...In .300 WSM of course.....How much would I have in a rig like this?............Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I like the fluted barrel on the EW but abhor the chunky thick non-checkered slick azzed B&C stock, I would prefer the Ultimate shadow stock by far over the EW stock. I would love to have an EW action in a McEdge stock, now that would be the chit...In .300 WSM of course.....How much would I have in a rig like this?............Hb

If you sold the B&C to someone and could find a used mc edge stock like I did for $425.00 you'd be in the shizzle for sure....I like the combo, here's a pic of the EW in a compact edge:

[Linked Image]

One hell of a good rifle made even better. Like one poster said, sell the EW takeoff and be into the edge for even less. Just a thought...

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Damn I'm jealous! I don't think that rifle is a .300 WSM it looks like a long action but an excellent rig for sure...................Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn I'm jealous! I don't think that rifle is a .300 WSM it looks like a long action but an excellent rig for sure...................Hb
. You are absolutely correct. It is a 30-06. You've got a good eye grin.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If you sold the B&C to someone and could find a used mc edge stock like I did for $425.00 you'd be in the shizzle for sure....I like the combo, here's a pic of the EW in a compact edge:

[Linked Image]

One hell of a good rifle made even better. Like one poster said, sell the EW takeoff and be into the edge for even less. Just a thought...

Beautiful!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just sold my US stock on eBay. It went for $20.00 and it wasn't worth that IMO. I'd have rather have had the 22" fluted barrel in .308 but my gun was cobbled together from a pawn shop rifle to keep the cost down.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (257 mag, 37L1, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.