Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by SU35

And Doc, with all due respect and I really do have respect for you. I don't need your endorsement to do what I know is best for me. smile

I hope I made it clear I respect your decision, too, and envy you the youth and health to pursue what sounds like great hunting opportunities.

Nope, you sure don't need my endorsement nor did I mean to imply that you did. Carry on, friend,

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Must be different habitat where you are, wounded bears are usually in the thickest tangle of brush they can find, arrows don't shoot through anything and you would not even be able to draw a bow in nearly any situation I know of, further more you cannot see sights, or peep in darkness......... right? How does one make a finishing shot in the dark with a bow, in thick brushy habitat?

I'm not intending to be condescending here, however it seems like there are a whole lot of people that provide commentary on this topic with very few that have the real world experience to provide help. Basing your opinions on what you have done once or twice, or what Uncle frank told you, or your sister's boyfriends dads work buddy is not the kind of information that has any value to the topic. Lets get real on this stuff.

If it's all in fun, many people straight up say " well I've never done this but here is what I think" However there are a whole lot of folks that seem to think since they have shot newsprint, and deer, or a few pigs or even an elk or six. This somehow makes them qualified to comment on what it's like to shoot a bear at close range in the dark on a follow up. Or in close range self defense.

This thread would have a much better level of education and credibility if it were limited to those who have killed 25-50 or even 100 bears with a handgun. Those guys have been there, done it and get the big picture of the situation.

It's just getting silly to actually read (some) of these posts now. Everyone is an expert, but what is the background that justifies the the claims of factual opinion? Carry on folks it's become a cartoon now not an educational thread with knowledge, experience, and facts

You are in a unique position regarding this subject.
You take money as income from hunters who are probably average shooters regardless of their chosen weapon. So, I can not fault you one bit for being as well prepared, as well armed and as well practiced with your arms for cleaning up other's messes. YOU PLACE YOURSELF IN DANGER INTENTIONALLY. That brings about a whole different set of needs and requirements.
I clearly understand your opinion, and can appreciate your comments.

THE OP is discussing BLACK BEARS in WA NOT GRIZZ IN THE ALASKA BUSH.

But, for the average to above average hunter, whatever THEY feel is an accurate weapon FOR THEM will suffice in a pinch. I see no need for a super-duper-nitro loaded specialty heavy magnum for an emergency backup or security situation in this case. I'm not endorsing a .40S&W for a primary by far. If one finds themselves following up an injured animal, then long arms should be the choice of the moment based on terrain and lighting.

I did not introduce archery to the conversation. Seems it always comes up in reference to follow up shots and wounded animals, and the fact that bowhunters are not carrying longarms. I know that well placed shot mantra applies to archery too, just like it does to rifles and any other primary. I follow it, practice it, and have not had a problem putting things on the ground without a firearm follow-up. I do not expect one should rely on their bow in the middle of the night from their tent either. As heavy and as fast as you can load for is my recommendation for your defensive .40S&W.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You have some good info in here several places.I am not a fan of the 40 and think it is on the light side,but I understand you have it,are comfortable with it and the shot will be measured in feet.Any gun if a bear comes in your tent to chew on you will be better than nothing.

Having sifted through the thread here are some things that stand out,
"Don't go with light bullets on a bear, they are more compact than an equal size deer & you will need penetration to make them stop wiggling"
"If you shoot a bear with any load from the .40, and it's not a CNS hit. You will see it run of a very long way."
"Choose the tool that stacks the deck in your favor. Once you pull the trigger the reality of what you just did will smack you in the face "
"The man is familar with the handgun that he has, no need to change."
"How long to expire is dependent on bullet placement that is a constant no matter the weapon rifle or handgun"
"With that caliber, he would be MUCH better off with a big, wide, heavy Cast Bullet at around 1000fps."
"Shot placement is critical regardless of the number of legs or the stamp on the side of the slide/barrel. Good hits are the biggest deciding factor."

I have a good bit of experience with black bears,maybe not the level of some others but I get your concern.Chances are in your tent you will have been grabbed or bitten before you know it and I am pretty sure it will be point blank shooting.The biggest factor will be your reaction to the events.If you can keep it together to put a few in his/her noggin you may be hurt but the threat will be over.Good luck and may this post just be a what if scenario.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To the OP-

One thing you may want to consider is picking up a glock 29. It's what I use as my backcountry gun and I love it. Here's the kicker. If you can only afford one gun, sell the 23, get the 29. You can then shoot .40 or 357 sig out of it with just a barrel swap. Lone wolf has replacement barrels for around $100. It's a great all around option. It is bigger than the 23 by a bit, but not enough to make it too big.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

729 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,523 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,736
Posts18,475,959
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.