Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4_S_ter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just got this rifle from my uncle who's getting up in years. He's a pretty active shooter/collector so I suspect this might be a pretty good shooter too. The barrel is labeled Apex Imperial and .22-250. It has a 12x Redfield scope. Very nice wood. It's not a safe queen - has some signs of use but is in very good condition.

Here's a pic:

[Linked Image]

Anybody know anything about something like this?

Wood is Good.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Look at it an said from 50-60s Coustom gun an barrel maker exelent guns made mostly on Mauser actions

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NICE looking rifle, much congratulations from here. I have a real soft spot for custom rifles and especially the benchrest and varmint rifles of this era. My own bench gun is a 60's era Sako with a similarly shaped stock from the days when even benchrest guns wore nice wood.

Based upon the era of the gun, there is some chance that the chamber is not SSAMI spec and standard. The 22-250 was a wildcat round until Remington adopted it about 40 or so years ago. I would carefully watch the brass if any factory ammo is fired in it for excessive stretching in the web area and be aware that the neck could be quite loose or tight if done prior to SAMMI standardization also. I close freind of mine inherited an older 22-250 in much the same way and the ammo he got with the rifle was all made from old 30/06 cases that were cut down and re sized in various steps. So long as you are a farily experienced handloader and know how to neck size only all of the brass after the first firing you will have no troubles but I would take that precaution with it. Another great idea would be to make a cast of the chamber with Cerrosafe. then, you would know what chamber dimensions you ere working with and even if the chamber IS SAMMI spec you would know how best to size any brass and how deep to load your bullets for the best accuracy going forward. Knowledge is power AND safety and accuracy.

Again, many congratulations on this one, I like it a LOT!

MARK

PS if the throat is shot out of it, a set back and re chamber to 220 Cheetah or 22/6mm (plain vanilla OR AI versions) would solve that and get you the accurcay back AND some sa-mokin velocity numbers smile Good luck going forward.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Is that a Sako action?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Is that a Sako action?

DF

It DOES kinda look like an L series Sako from this photo, doesn't it?

Yeah, I am curious of that as well.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

4_S_ter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Glad I asked! I would just have bought some factory ammo and thunked them out there. It's a Sako L579 action serial number 8XXXX. Very heavy. I've never shot anything like it, so now knowing it could be a little touchy, I'll do some more homework.

Wood is Good.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Factory ammo might be just fine in it. Take along some calipers, and measure the case head expansion and OAL of the case after you fire the ammo use a sharp hooked instrament like the dentist uses to probe your teeth to feel inside the case for a starting insipient separation near the case head or web where it narrows or thins down into the case body. The chamber and rifle are PROBABLY fine, I just wanted to give you some safety tips to be more sure than sorry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, as with ANY new rifle and especially an older one, wear good shooting glasses when firing this new to you piece.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pretty rifle....that's a really open grip, almost a POW....unusual for a varmint rifle.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
pretty rifle....that's a really open grip, almost a POW....unusual for a varmint rifle.

I noticed that, too. The LOP seems pretty long, but that may be deceiving. Very nice wood.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by crosshair; 09/18/12.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not take it to a gunsmith and have them check your chamber?

[Linked Image from ]
4_S_ter Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm getting excited to shoot it! I think I'll ask my uncle what's the last thing he shot out of it and start from there. It'll be a communication through another uncle - long story - but that seems like the place to start.

I also received the double barrel Stevens .410 I grew up with trying to sting pheasants. Having fun with that one in the grouse woods right now. And two .22 revolvers for my son to dispatch beavers that don't go down the wire. He's pretty excited about those. Earlier he gave me a P-14 .45 auto. Lots of fun from my uncle. Much appreciated.

Wood is Good.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you had a fired case from your uncle, that would help. You could measure that case against SAAMI specs for the .22-250.

Or just load one that wasn't too hot, shoot (with precautions mentioned earlier) and measure it.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (204guy, 264mag, 257heaven, 2five7, 117LBS, 2ndwind, 46 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,435
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.