P
.22 in the ear.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by poboy
.22 in the ear.

Yep, quick, easy and humane.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do you use a pistol?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And results in blood all over the hide. Tap and stomp is FAR more humane than the death that the animal would suffer "naturally". Doesn't work very well on non-canines, but for fox and coyote you won't find better way of blood free dispatch.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 22WRF
Do you use a pistol?

I use a 22 revolver with either a cb cap or short hollowpoint somewhere in the top of the head with the bullet path down into the neck so no chance of an exit. Pistols are illegal in Pa for killing game. Some guys use a 22 behind the shoulder for a blood free kill, maybe even pushing a cotton plug into the hole/holes so not even a drop comes out.

Stand up and be counted, join a shooting sports organization
22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I find this topic to be facinating, and also find it somewhat strange that so many trappers are so fearful to talk about it.

I was a member of the Trapperman board and tried to talk about it there and was banned.

Then I became a member of Trapboard and tried to talk about it there. Some guy who goes by the name of grumpy or dumpy or fruitcake banned me there.

And I wasn't even talking about dispatch. What I was talking about was the issue of talking about dispatch and how cowardly I thought it was that those sites let there content be, in essence, dictated by anti trappers. It seemed to me that these guys wanted to control the thought of their members by keeping any controversial issues off the board. I am so thankful that we have a basic free speech right in this country so that the government cannot do the same thing that some of these fruitcakes do, which is to stifle the free exchange of ideas for their own purposes.

Guys that run these boards seem to think that if they don't talk about these issues they don't exist, which is about as stupid a thing as I have ever heard.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, you are right about Trapperman. The site is constantly monitored by the anti-trappers and the site owner runs the place like he wants. The antis don't need any more fodder to use against us. So, let"s talk about it here, this forum doesn't get much traffic but a lot of guys check it out. I'm only good for a couple of cats and a few grey fox per season. Of course you get your possums and coons too. I put the pill in their ear and I almost always find the slug somewhere just inside the skin further down. Problem is sometimes you fracture the skull. I keep the cat skulls also. What do you set for?

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I disagree with the theory that antis dont need any more fodder to use against trappers. I think trappers ought to be open about what they do and how they do it rather than trying to hide it hoping it might go away. trapping is trapping and dispatch is part of it. How cruel is it for thousands and thousands and thousands of animals that get hit on the highway and then if they are still alive run off in the bush to die a slow painful death. You don't see antis attempting to ban driving and cars. things are what they are.
somebody is always going to ask about dispatch and I think its just best to put it out there head on rather than trying to insinuate it doesn't exist.

What do you set for?

fox, mink, otter, fisher. Mink and otter I of course try to drown or use conibears. Have also caught fisher in conibears but also in dirt sets. they are nasty. Fox not so bad. Badgers are not happy campers either if you can find them in their hole that they dug after they got caught.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree with you. "The Boss" over there runs his site his way. Those guys handle the topic by PMs. Antis don't try to ban cars because they like ridin' in Limos and havin' conferences at the finest hotels. The kids and naive think they spend the donations on the animals. Like I said, we can all talk over here. This forum could needs to be used more than it does. Ever use a catch pole? I haven't but I thought about it.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have not used a catch pole, but I have seen them used quite a bit in videos. Might be time to try one, although I am also contemplating buying a 22 pistol as well!!!

"The Boss", Paul Dobbins is a guy who is trying to make a living off of his father's reputation as a trapper. He doesn't want to make any waives because it cuts into his income. He won't even allow people to sell used DVD's on the site. He claims its to protect People from copying DVDs. Since when is that his job. What it really is designed to do is to get people to buy the DVDs hes selling on his website. For that very reason I wouldn't buy one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clubbing was my choice back in my younger days, tried stomping with zero success on coon and possums. Along came a .22 when I was old enough and never looked back.

As for antis and other less extreme people that may cringe at the idea of clubbing a critter........ Some folk seem to think a bloodless death is more humane than a bloody one. They wouldn't think twice about using drugs to put down a critter but a baseball bat? Hell no they cry. In reality a good whack on the noggin or a bullet in the brain as humane as any drug they currently use. Blood does not = suffering.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I find this topic to be facinating, and also find it somewhat strange that so many trappers are so fearful to talk about it.

I was a member of the Trapperman board and tried to talk about it there and was banned.

Then I became a member of Trapboard and tried to talk about it there. Some guy who goes by the name of grumpy or dumpy or fruitcake banned me there.

And I wasn't even talking about dispatch. What I was talking about was the issue of talking about dispatch and how cowardly I thought it was that those sites let there content be, in essence, dictated by anti trappers. It seemed to me that these guys wanted to control the thought of their members by keeping any controversial issues off the board. I am so thankful that we have a basic free speech right in this country so that the government cannot do the same thing that some of these fruitcakes do, which is to stifle the free exchange of ideas for their own purposes.

Guys that run these boards seem to think that if they don't talk about these issues they don't exist, which is about as stupid a thing as I have ever heard.

You sound like an idiot. You know better than all the actual trappers who have seen what the anti-trapping mentality has accomplished in MA, RI, NJ, WA, CA, CO, among others. In the last year alone, there have been media uproars over photos/videos plucked from trapperman and posted on youtube, etc, and making their way into national headlines. If you think it's great to cause controversy and stir up shat, than you are either an anti trapper, or just a complete moron. Either way, we don't need you.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I have been setting out traps since 1968 so I guess I am not anti trapping

What happened in all of those states happened because trappers there didn't have the balls to stand up for theirselves, not because of how they dispatched an animal. The battle against anti trapping will never be won on the defensive. It will only be won on the offensive. It will be won like every other political battle is won. By electing people who are pro trapping to the various legislatures. Not by sitting on hands and crying to each other to be careful not to talk about how to dispatch an animal.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you've been trapping for over forty years why do you need to ask dispatch questions?

Why don't you ask the last head of the CA game commision how his out of state cougar hunt went last year?

Or that Idaho trapper who post the wolf pics in a bloody catch circle how he likes his new life in hiding?

Or that lawyer Tracy Truman from NV if his bobcat "educational" video was worth losing his job with the game commission over?

In your face trappers are fools that cause all of us to lose. Every time.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don't need to ask the question. As I said, I find it an interesting topic.

Issues in trapping will come and go. The main thing for trappers is to remain united, support the cause, and be offensive rather than apologetic.

Why don't we ask every trapper in the US if they know which candidate in their district supports trapping, hunting and fishing; and whether they have donated to that campaign.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I personally perform a flying souflex on the catch and then violently monkey stomp the insides out of them. I find that it is quick, humane and great for relieving stress. YMMV

-Piss into the wind.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I trap for the fur, shooting animals in the set leaves blood, which reduces my catch rate and makes a mess of the fur. I do shoot badgers, coons, and skunks, but if we're talking fox and coyote, the quickest, easiest way to dispatch is a tap on the bridge of the nose and a couple of stout stomps to the ribcage. At most 10-20 seconds, FAR more "humane" than the death the animal would have to look forward to had it not met me.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ranger1
I trap for the fur, shooting animals in the set leaves blood, which reduces my catch rate and makes a mess of the fur. I do shoot badgers, coons, and skunks, but if we're talking fox and coyote, the quickest, easiest way to dispatch is a tap on the bridge of the nose and a couple of stout stomps to the ribcage. At most 10-20 seconds, FAR more "humane" than the death the animal would have to look forward to had it not met me.

This is exactly the type of proactive language I am talking about. This man is proud to be a trapper, he is trapping for the right reasons, and he is concerned about the animals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 47 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,315
Posts18,526,361
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.