-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Ranchers are built for trail riding, the Foreman for utility work and hunting. My wifes 09 RancherAt could squeel the tires before I put a final drive gear reduction in it, now it's geared more like my Foreman. Her 04 Rancher was a fast little sob too but it rode like a tank and was bad for her back.

I have yet to find a quad that is lightweight and not a sport quad, they just don't exist.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

GB1

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slip_sinker

Originally Posted by tzone
but you're not going to throw them around either. They weigh 600#'s so it's now sport quad.

The difference b/t a Rancher 420 and a Foreman 500 is 55cc and I liked the features of the Foreman so I went with that.
Going from a Griz 450 to a 550 is a difference of 137cc...a considerable jump in size.
I'm not buying it for a sport quad, but I'd still like to break the back tires loose every now and then. I'm kinda worried the 450 will be a little weak. I still can't find one to ride.

It won't be weak in power when compared to the Honda. You should have no issue breaking the tires loose if you chose to do so, and I chose to do so. grin

I've been trying to ride a new one from the dealer and they sell em before they can get one out on the floor...that's sayin something.

In the mean time see if you can take a 550 for a ride. If I was going to get a 550 though, I might as well get the 700 since they're the same physcial size but cost is obviously more...

Camp is where you make it.
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
My 04 Foreman has carb heat for when it gets cold and i've never had a problem starting it in sub zero temps. With that said, i'd still go for an EFI powered machine and power steering is a must on my next quad.

I've never had an issue with the starting on the Honda Foreman's. With the heated carb and the primer on the carb that many don't know about, it fires up nicely in our weather.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tzone, I rode a 550 with the PWS before the wife went with the Honda, she almost bought one until we found out that Honda was adding IRS to their Ranchers and offering EPS. I liked the way it handled and it had a bunch of power, didn't see the need for the 700.

If Honda don't step it up my next purchase will probably be a 550 Grizz.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
akmtnhunter
- have you tried the '12 foreman? alot of people that have older foremans say hte new 12 foreman with EFI and liquid cooling has better throttle response and is a little peppier than the previous foremans. i do like the grizz 550 though its just here a foreman is so much cheaper than a the 550 grizz...like 2000$ cheaper

klik- awesome first hand info! thanks for the report

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not tried a new Foreman Sako75, only the newer EFI RancherAT. I can believe the EFI has better throttle response over a carbed atv. My wifes Rancher has much better throttle response than my Foreman but it 5 years newer than my Foreman.

EFI, PWS, and IRS are must haves for my next quad.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Going from a Griz 450 to a 550 is a difference of 137cc...a considerable jump in size.
I'm not buying it for a sport quad, but I'd still like to break the back tires loose every now and then. I'm kinda worried the 450 will be a little weak. I still can't find one to ride.

It almost sounds like the 550 might be your cup then. The 450 has all the power we need for hunting, wood hauling etc, but it isn't a machine that has too much power. I'm sure it would seem peppier if it had a direct drive transmission. The variable torque auto clutch system is very well designed both to prevent component wear, and to stay in an ideal torque range for the engine and load. Speedwise, the 376 CC Suzuki, geared Eiger has a better top end than does the 421 CC liquid-cooled Grizzly. Getting much more than 50 mph is work when it comes to the Grizz. The smaller Suzuki engine is slightly more than equal in that department. But I have never run out of pull (from the engine/clutch system) on the 450(421) on the steepest hills even with 400 pounds of riders on board.

In short, I would not choose the 450 Grizzly if I was wanting a sporty utility machine. In my mind and for our uses, however, it is a fine working machine.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 10/06/12. Reason: identity error

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well maybe I was misleading. I'm not looking for real a sporty utility machine, just don't want a dog.

But I have never run out of pull (from the engine/clutch system) on the 450(421) on the steepest hills even with 400 pounds of riders on board.

That's what I like to hear. I really think the 450 will be good for what I want. I just need to ride both before I make a decision. I'll be by another dealer early next week anyway...maybe he'll have one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I said, they'll do 50 without much problem (with some left), and I've pulled a 4000 lb-plus van without any trouble. (And I like the fact that you really can't over-rev the motor - which makes it pretty safe mechanically from kids or others who seem to break anything they touch.) The oil bath rear brakes are another nice feature as many ATVs end up with rear brake problems due to moisture infiltration.

But I agree you should try one. They definitely feel different than the Hondas and Suzukis we've previously run. And that takes some getting used to.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ground clearance is exactly the same at 10.8", suspension travel is better on the 550, wife and I are 5'7" so the 450 should be big enough. The 550/700s seem huge but I still haven't found a 450 to look at so I don't know.

No! regardless of what the brochure might say, ground clearance is quite a bit more on the 550-700 line of Yam bikes over the 450. One other reason would def go 550-700 is the 450s still use U-joints to drive the rear dif & not only are a real pain to keep greased but you know what happens quickly if you don't!

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you go to the specs page they are the same but on the chassis/suspension page it shows the 550 to have an inch more.
And that U joint spec is in there you just have to look for it. Thanks for pointing that out. It's one thing I never liked about the big bear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 450 grizzly has 10,000 miles and has been used both for recreation and on my farm. Its been brilliant in every way. I dragged a dead horse about 1200 lbs over a mile down a narrow trail up and over little hills and creeks. It was a mission I never thought possible. I needed diff lock about 10 times down the trail to regain traction and forward progress.

In High Range the horse would not budge, In low range I got it moving. Without low range and diff lock this wound have never moved an inch! In the past I have snapped the cast hitch piece three times on. It's a"fuse-able link" in the system to prevent breaking drive line and transmission parts that is also brilliant. 15 bucks for the break away hitch piece is a long shot cheaper then mechanical work especially in the field! You could not begin to imagine the hills it's climbed with two people and game and gear on the racks. Scary nearly flipping backward steep kinda hills!

I'm looking at a side by side now. Based on my experience with this Grizzly there is only one option, the Rhino 700. Same bullet proof transmission proven by the sale of millions of ATVs and the definite DIFF locking axle and low range that is needed.

I've always been a honda guy for this stuff, but over the years Yamaha has won me over for dependable performance. I bought this over the Honda in 2006 based on the diff lock feature. I have used that to get out of stuck, or up hills more times then I can count. Without real 100% manual locking diff, it's not gonna work as I need. No open or LS diff ATV would have moved that horse just for example.

I'm no expert on these matters, many folks here are way better able to express function and mechanics or internal performance features. I just know that low range, and diff lock are 100% mandatory in any ATV I would own.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JJHACK

In High Range the horse would not budge, In low range I got it moving. Without low range and diff lock this wound have never moved an inch!

JJ- curious what kind of tires you run? you say it wouldnt budge without diff-lock. were those stock tires? if not, what kind?
as you know tires make a huge difference. aftermarket tires in 2wd sometimes can outperform stock tires in 4wd

by the way, i agree that honda needs a diff locker if for nothing else than marketing

Last edited by SAKO75; 10/08/12.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm running the best tires made (IMO) bighorn radials.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i agree on the bighorns as an all around tire......what terrain were you in where you needed diff lock? bighorns as great as they are, are not anywhere near the greatest mud tire

my 2012 foreman with 26" horns
[Linked Image]

― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm no expert on these matters, many folks here are way better able to express function and mechanics or internal performance features. I just know that low range, and diff lock are 100% mandatory in any ATV I would own.

what you said is true for any serious atv.

I can't count the number of times I've inadvertently got stuck, locked the dif & slowly eased on the fuel & walked out. I also have a hill to climb when pulling a trailer load of apples to camp I simply cannot make with-out 1st locking her up!
Yes, I have good tires...Mud Lite XTRs in 27"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i agree on the bighorns as an all around tire......what terrain were you in where you needed diff lock? bighorns as great as they are, are not anywhere near the greatest mud tire

my 2012 foreman with 26" horns
[Linked Image]

Looks like good ground clearance, now try this on the rear smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm at 12 weeks now without rain. There is no mud, However the inclines on grass are as slippery as ice even to walk on. The ground is hard but uneven and with countless dips and rocks and awkward angles and hills.

Anyway, every one needs a certain function and covers different habitat. We usually default to our own needs and then expect everyone else to need the same. It's never the case.

However one thing I am sure we all agree on is trouble free dependability. We are rarely down the tar road from assistance. For me, just my opinion, honda and Yamaha are the only game in town in this regard. Yamaha is a touch ahead of Honda in offering some features, diff lock, Power steering, IFS, to name a few.

Anyway, this is a Can-Am thread. Thats a different situation then I have. I'm opinionated where the reliability is the highest priority, all the features in the world don't help when you're broken down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Senior, you should seriously consider getting some c/v boot gaurds for your quad. Oxlite makes some pretty niceones with good coverage.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Senior, you should seriously consider getting some c/v boot gaurds for your quad. Oxlite makes some pretty niceones with good coverage.

Ya I know frown
I've ripped 3 of the 4 original flimsy things.
But at the price of boot guards I can replace a lot of boots wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 2500HD, 50 invisible), 1,967 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,035
Posts18,520,955
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.