Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 163bc
Va. produces some incredible bucks. I've been to the state show a few times and the deer are quite impressive. The Eastern region is held in Franklin, Va. a 4 hour drive from Northern Va. I've had several deer I didn't enter cause it was so far away and it takes an entire weekend. Wish they would at least move it around the state from time to time. 163bc

I agree it should be moved around or they should add more show sites. However, if I killed a buck that was going to rank in the top 10 all time for the state, I'd find a way to be there.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Va. produces some incredible bucks. I've been to the state show a few times and the deer are quite impressive. The Eastern region is held in Franklin, Va. a 4 hour drive from Northern Va. I've had several deer I didn't enter cause it was so far away and it takes an entire weekend. Wish they would at least move it around the state from time to time. 163bc

I agree it should be moved around or they should add more show sites. However, if I killed a buck that was going to rank in the top 10 all time for the state, I'd find a way to be there.

Agreed & BTW I have taken bucks that score in the top ten and I managed to get them there. I've had others including deer my son & daughter took that would have qualified for state recognition if we could have gotten them there. With the kids in college at the time it just was not doable. I'm in northern Va., Franklin is 4 + hours away and Harrisonburg is 2 hours away. I can't enter in Western show in Harriosnburg because I have to go to the Eastern Region in Franklin 1st. Takes 2 full weekends if the state finals are in Harrisonburg. Some folks myself included just don't have that kind of time. Plus many from the region that does not hold the finals that year don't go to the finals and as a result many fine deer are not oficially entered in the state finals. Don't get me wrong. I love the VPSA and am grateful that they do what they do. I just wish it was closer or they moved it around from year to year.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by VAhuntr

Agreed & BTW I have taken bucks that score in the top ten and I managed to get them there. I've had others including deer my son & daughter took that would have qualified for state recognition if we could have gotten them there. With the kids in college at the time it just was not doable. I'm in northern Va., Franklin is 4 + hours away and Harrisonburg is 2 hours away. I can't enter in Western show in Harriosnburg because I have to go to the Eastern Region in Franklin 1st. Takes 2 full weekends if the state finals are in Harrisonburg. Some folks myself included just don't have that kind of time. Plus many from the region that does not hold the finals that year don't go to the finals and as a result many fine deer are not oficially entered in the state finals. Don't get me wrong. I love the VPSA and am grateful that they do what they do. I just wish it was closer or they moved it around from year to year.

What I meant was, if I killed a buck that qualified for an all time state record, then I'd make plans to be there. The previous poster made it sound like there are "lots" of deer taken better than the new, #2 all time buck from Surry County. I just don't buy that.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10/01/12.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
harrisonburg was the state show this year,not just the western half. it was 2 hours from nova

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i scored 3 from last season that were close to making the top 5. one woulda finished 3rd. there are lots of hunters that don't care about getting those blue ribbons in a show. they also are paying for leases and don't really want other hunt clubs tryin to buy the leases out from under them . deer hunters are very jealous people and will pay big money to hunt where big deer are being killed.

i have a good friend that owns 300acres that he leases to 2 guys to bow hunt only. they will never tell the land owner what they kill on his land in fear of someone offering him more money for the lease. i have lost 2pcs of property that i hunted for 10 years due to guys offering big bucks to lease the land. they saw to many buck pics hanging at the checking station that i killed on that land.

Last edited by srwshooter; 10/05/12.
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i scored 3 from last season that were close to making the top 5. one woulda finished 3rd. there are lots of hunters that don't care about getting those blue ribbons in a show. they also are paying for leases and don't really want other hunt clubs tryin to buy the leases out from under them . deer hunters are very jealous people and will pay big money to hunt where big deer are being killed.

i have a good friend that owns 300acres that he leases to 2 guys to bow hunt only. they will never tell the land owner what they kill on his land in fear of someone offering him more money for the lease. i have lost 2pcs of property that i hunted for 10 years due to guys offering big bucks to lease the land. they saw to many buck pics hanging at the checking station that i killed on that land.

I understand what you are saying and we have the same problem in the southern part of the state. Lot's of big money from North Carolina trying to lease land out from under people.

There still are not a lot of bucks killed every year that meet or exceed this year's best, that eventually wound up being the #2 all time state buck.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 10/05/12.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The VPSA rules state you cannot enter the state contest unless you have entered your regional contest. When the finals are in Harrisonburg you have to go to Franklin for a weekend then Harrisonburg for another weekend. You have to do the reverse when the finals are in Franklin and a deer is from the western part of the state. That is why lots of super nice deer don't make it to the finals.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The VPSA rules state you cannot enter the state contest unless you have entered your regional contest. When the finals are in Harrisonburg you have to go to Franklin for a weekend then Harrisonburg for another weekend. You have to do the reverse when the finals are in Franklin and a deer is from the western part of the state. That is why lots of super nice deer don't make it to the finals.

I think you should define what you mean by "lots" of deer. I'm sure there are awesome bucks killed every year that would warrant state recognition but don't go to the state finals, for whatever reason. But, I don't buy it that there are "lots" of all time state record bucks killed each year that are not entered.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,690
Posts18,475,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.