-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
go retro...a 911 SC. It's not long before I get one myself.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At a car show a couple of years ago, I sat in a Mazda RX8 and was really impressed how the seat and controls felt. It might be a little cramped if you're a big man, but it fit me great.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
Anyone have first hand experience with the Porsche Cayman? Talked to a dealer this morning who had 2 in stock both in my price range. Know nothing about them.

Solid performance with Porsche savvy - one fine car with great possibilities. IMHO likely to be the next affordable racer for guys that like to race Porsches without spending too much for/on aging ones. Maybe already is - haven't been to Brainerd or Elkhart Lake for a Porsche race rally for quite a while.

Last edited by CCCC; 09/26/12.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lotsa people already race the Cayman and there is even a Cayman spec series. At least there was.
Saw a ton of them the last time I went to Elkhart Lake for the vintage races.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Porsche will be high maintenance.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here you go:
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/0908_2009_porsche_cayman_s/
Mainteneance on Porsches is an issue, though. For dead solid reliability, the 370Z is my pick. But I've been a Nissan slut since '97. grin

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/0812_2009_nissan_370z/

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal

I call BS on that.

The service charges are high but they are reliable, proven cars.

Sure, some things about German cars do require more attention. Like the requirement (suggestion actually and good practice IMO) to flush and fill the braking system every two years.

I've owned a lot of German cars and even have a 1966 Triumph TR4A IRS which still sports nearly all of her original Lucas electrical components.
Maybe I'm lucky!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by nsaqam

I've owned a lot of German cars and even have a 1966 Triumph TR4A IRS which still sports nearly all of her original Lucas electrical components.
Maybe I'm lucky!
Luck doesn't begin to describe it! laugh

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I meant the Lucas electrics. whistle

Robert E. Howard
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know you did but I was posting that Edmunds link before I read your post.

I have changed the points and condenser and of course both headlights and various other bulbs but by and large the Lucas stuff is still working nearly fifty years after they were made.

Shocking!

NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Reading those reviews of the Porsche Cayman has me concerned about the legroom. I already have issues with most cars as they are and have tried several of the Audi's and have never fit in one either. It seemed to be a recurring theme on the Cayman reviews.

Otto is my co-pilot.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A Porsche Boxter or Cayman depending upon your desire for a coupe or roadstar. My wife drives a Boxter and it is a kick-azz little car with room for groceries, light in weight, reliable eith 0-60 times of 5.5 sec's or less and top end nearing 170 mph. This is Porche's slowest car. Sticks like glue too and is very forgiving when one goes a bit too far. Her's has the optional 18" S model wheels and tires that just work. Go the car rags like Top Gear (even Consumer Reports) and see that it is always on top. A fine car IME. Last year we picked up a dealer used 2010 with some bells and whistles with 4k miles for $42k OTD. This coming with a 100k mile warranty as well. A bargain I thought.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Went the sports car route for several years with a twin turbo Toyota Supra. Extremely fast, handled like a dream, and extremely reliable. Also rare enough to turn heads. Comfortable for long trips was not it's strong suit. Traded with a friend for this

[Linked Image]
Mercedes SLK
Much more comfortable, still a head turner, although not nearly as fast. Guess I've outgrown my need for speed.

BTW, my hunting vehicle is a Lexus LX450 (Toyota Landcruiser clone). Guess I'm getting addicted to comfort as I get older!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have found that some exercise helps you to stay in shape, so I do pull-ups. I pull up in my nice red car wearing aviators, it still works for me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have a 2010 and had a 2006 Corvette. You should change your mind. I have driven them daily. Easy breezy lemon squeezy.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal

Not if you follow the specs and do the work yourself on a regular basis. They are well-engineered and built, and thus easy to maintain if you stay with the program. They are different, and some folks don't get the differences.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

I call BS on that.

You are confused about the difference between reliability and maintenance costs.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Went the sports car route for several years with a twin turbo Toyota Supra. Extremely fast, handled like a dream, and extremely reliable. Also rare enough to turn heads. Comfortable for long trips was not it's strong suit. Traded with a friend for this

[Linked Image]
Mercedes SLK
Much more comfortable, still a head turner, although not nearly as fast. Guess I've outgrown my need for speed.

BTW, my hunting vehicle is a Lexus LX450 (Toyota Landcruiser clone). Guess I'm getting addicted to comfort as I get older!

I really wish Toyota would bring the Supra back, especially the twin turbo.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

I call BS on that.

You are confused about the difference between reliability and maintenance costs.

as a former owner of 3 different German sports cars - I can tell you what the service manager of the Porsche dealership told me after I complained about bringing the car in multiple times

"If you wanted a Honda, you should have bought a Honda"

so I did

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,402
Posts18,527,940
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.