Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
After getting the Impala we headed back to camp for brunch and a little rest. Debbie,Jacques, Jannie and myself headed back out in the cruiser for the afternoon still having zebra on our minds. We were heading to the far back of the concession to search but along the way we spotted a group of kudu on a
kopje so we started a stalk up the far side to get a closer look. This day was quite hot 94 degrees and it was very windy and gusting over 30 mph.
The higher up the kopje we got the windier it got. we crawled towards the top of the rise and we were right on top of the Kudu,actually too close,we were pinned down. Jacques said he thought there was a good one so we waited to make a move. A young bull got curious and came with in 30 yd's and started barking at us but never really made us out and finally he and the others moved back up the kopje and started away from us. We then headed down and around the steep face to put a flanker move on them. Debbie and Jannie stayed back and Jacques and I went alone along the rock faced kopje.
After about 15 minutes the sticks quickly went up and Jacques said that's a good one take him. I hurried to the sticks and took aim up hill at 269 yd's I held forward for the wind and squeezed the trigger.The kudu reared up on its hind legs and ran a few steps and started to stumble and then went down for the count, shot thru the heart.We waited a few minutes for Debbie and Jannie to arrive and climbed the face of the kopje.It was so steep we really had a difficult time not having the kudu and ourselves roll off while taking photo's.
The kudu was nice but only measured 44 1/2" Jacques felt bad and was apologizing as he knew I was looking for 48" or better.The kudu here in the northern cape just don't get as large as in Limpopo province. I told him to stop apologizing as it was still a great animal and I was happy with him as well as the stalk and shot. I'd rather have a good hard and challenging hunt than take a 60" from the cruiser standing by the road.
After the photo's the recovery team came to the far base of the kopje and we headed back down the other side to get to the cruiser. Debbie almost blew off that kopje it was so windy, she also felt the wrath of the black thorn bush .The recovery team had to cut the kudu in half to get it off the side off the mountain(that's what I'd call it rather than a "hill") without damaging the cape.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Of course I see this guy on the 2nd to last day thought about 2 kudu but restrained myself
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"very windy and gusting over 30 mph."

Dan that is a gentle breeze grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I've hunted kudu a fair amount and have killed three. Honestly, they are soooo like hunting big ol' Rocky Mountain bull elk ... plus, they can seemingly disappear like a magician's eye-candy model.

Asked, "Steve, given one critter to hunt for the rest of your life, which would it be?" In America, I really love pronghorn antelope ... but given Africa, it would be a tossup between greater kudu and bushbuck.

My friend, your greater kudu may not have the measuring tape glamour, BUT it is a GORGEOUS, mature, big ol' greater kudu. George, your kudu is just plain beautiful and you should be very, very happy with him.

And look at the country and the hunt. WOW. The entire picture is fantastic.

Best of luck during the rest of your hunt, my friend.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What Steve said!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Amen and Amen, been to Africa once. Got my kudu right at dark on the last day, fascinating critters, Congrats on a beautiful animal and a great experience

It’s all about Leadership.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This thread is making me dream of Africa!!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats on beautiful trophies and memories BTW.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff, thx for sharing!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great stuff Dan.
Nice shooting too.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Brings back fond memories. Good on you,Dan!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Freakin awesome. A dream of mine for sure. Thanks so much for sharing!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very nicely done!! I missed my kudu on the last morning. Had an 8" window to shoot through and I whiffed. I'm going back for revenge in July 2013.

That 2nd pic is great The terrain over there reminds me a lot of central New Mexico also.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations on a fine hunt, sir!

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm liking the reports. Congrats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,498,013
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.