Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
I just had my all time worst yanked-from-a-deep-sleep experience possible (to date). This was worse that getting cold water dumped on me, kicked out of bed, falling out of bed, yelled at, annoying smoke alarm battery low, etc....

Since the weather has been very mild in North Texas, I have been sleeping with a window open by my bed. This was the second night of pure bliss.

That was until a skunk decided to spray something that startled it right outside of my window. I almost aspirated. sick

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad to hear that's all it was.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hearing the sirens and "INCOMING" right before the mortars and rockets start landing inside the wire!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Downright pungent, aint they? laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
General Quarters being called in the middle of the night sucks

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I can think of many, but I'll always remember the one that made me the most angry.

I was in a tent, out cold from a long day of deer hunting. In the middle of the night, a wiseazz coyote trotted up to the tent, about one foot from my head, and sounded off at full throttle, causing me to eject from my sleeping bag somewhat like a Trident missile ejecting from a submarine. I wanted to kill that coyote bad... but, of course, he was long gone by the time I went looking for him. I've had a thing for coyotes ever since...

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
General Quarters being called in the middle of the night sucks

That, too.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not from a deep sleep, but becoming cold sober in a hurry kind of thing I offer this.
One night back in my wild and crazy days, I went out drinking with a young lady who usually ended up spending the night at my place.
The morning after I became sorta simi aware of where I was and that it was going to be a bad hangover day. I could feel somebody in bed with me, and with some reluctance I opened one eye to face the day.
What I saw instantly made forget the hangover, it looked like the back of some guys head, and the entire head was covered with about a half inch of hair.
I swear, I knew I had never been that drunk!!!

Turns out the young lady had done something to her hair that damaged it, she had to cut it short and had been wearing a wig which had come off during the night.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How do dogs know to land precisely on your balls when they jump in bed to wake you up?

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Instinct, cats have it too..

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by sandcritter
How do dogs know to land precisely on your balls when they jump in bed to wake you up?

I've got a dachshund that has absolutely mastered that.

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
You guys have me rolling!

L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hearing the words "I think my water broke" when you've just worked 21 days straight on the flight line.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When we were teenagers, and wouldn't get up when mom called she would use a spray bottle with ice water to blast us in the face while sleeping. Damn, that used to piss me off.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Old bud and i were bow hunting Colorado one year for elk and mule deer, helluva squall blew through around 3 a.m., a very large Aspen tree came crashing down on our tent, landed perfectly between both of us sleeping bastids, it ripped the tarp cover and tent and was laying there next to me.

When my eyes cleared enough to see some I thought a damn wet white polar bear had crashed through the tent with us. shocked grin

Needless to say, that was a very bad way to be woke up. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Longbob;
Thanks for the thought provoking and side splitting reading that your thread has provided thus far and no doubt will continue to do.

My own tale took place on a mountain where I was camped out on the eve of the mule deer opener. Instead of pitching a tent, I simply threw a foam pad and goose down bag onto the plywood box liner of my Toyota pickup - which was equipped with a fiberglass canopy so I'd be dry if not warm.

I'd parked the pickup in a deserted little hollow which I thought would keep me out of the wind should it come up in the night.

On my left side was my trusty 3 cell Maglite and on my right my even trustier BBR '06. With those tools in place I drifted off to a peaceful sleep with visions of 4 points dancing in my head.....

I was awakened when the Maglite bounced off my skull - which had rolled that way as the truck was being rocked violently back and forth.

Since the Maglite was on the move it took me a couple seconds to find it in the back of the pickup with my left hand - my right already had a firm grip on the '06.

Upon finding the light I shone it outside to see a range cow leisurely using my front winch mount/bush guard as a deluxe scratching post. I pounded on the canopy window and gently informed her how much I appreciated what she was doing.

She didn't really want to quit and surely wasn't ready to leave. As I panned the light about, I saw that a small herd had in fact joined me in the hollow - no doubt having sensed the oncoming snow storm that hit us all an hour or two later.

Oh, by the way, no I'd not brought clothes for that bit of weather change and had to nicely drive lower below the snow a bit to hunt. blush

Now if you asked me what almost was the worst way to be awakened, I'd share this story with you.

Many years ago, over 25 I guess it has to be, a friend and I were out on a hunting trip where we spent a night or three on the mountain. I must add before going further that this was and still is occasionally grizzly country and definitely has always held surplus numbers of black bears.

We'd rolled into an old cut block late, set up the tent with the pickup lights and cooked supper on the tailgate. As we were dead tired from a day in the steep places, we didn't clean up the cans that contained supper as well as we should have.

Sometime in the night, I was awakened by the sound of something sniffing just outside the canvas by my left ear. With ever so much stealth, my right hand grasped the tent gun and my left my good old 3 cell Maglite.

The animal moved counter clockwise slowly sniffing the tent as it went and in the darkness I followed the sound with the still off flashlight and the very much ready to use firearm.......

Then two thoughts struck me - simultaneously really.

The first was that for the life of me I couldn't remember just where the pick up was parked in relation to our tent. As I didn't want to send a round into my trusty Toyota, it became a matter of much concern with me!

Then too, I imagined the long term damage to my buddy, who was blissfully snoring in his sleeping bag to my right. He was my crew boss at work at the time as well to compound matters and I really couldn't envision him taking the whole "waking up because of a discharge of my firearm in the tent" very well at all. laugh

It took awhile for whatever it was to finally leave the area and even longer for me to get back to an somewhat fitful sleep.

Those are my stories anyway Longbob, I hope you or someone out there got a bit of a laugh on me from them.

Thanks again for the thread and all the best to you this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/03/12. Reason: better word

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, incoming rockets (I alway voluntered for night duty) and the phone.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/02/12.

1Minute
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dwayne,

Those was a very well written and funny. I didn't realize when I posted this that I would laugh so hard at others misfortunes, but damn they are funny.

Best to you,

Kyle

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This is the best thread I've read in a while.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (257 roberts, 1234, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,575
Posts18,532,049
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.