Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
For a number of years I owned P3AT and PF9 semiautos from Kel-Tec. I shot several hundred rounds through each (probably 1000 throught P3AT and 600-700 through the PF9.)

Earlier this year I noticed some wear in the P3AT at the point the recoil spring assembly contacts the frame. So I decided to make a change.

I ended up with Rugers (LCP and LC9). Both function as reliably as the Kel-Tecs do with all types of ammo. The big shooting difference is the ergonomics of the Rugers are a bit better than the Kel-Tecs in my opinion. The feel a lot better in my hand than the KT's. I also like the slide lock back feature on the LCP.

I would not pass the Kel-Tecs by if they felt good to me, but I do recommend holding both the Rugers and KT's and examining the difference in features.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two (FOUR?) peas in a pod to my thinking. Actually, a lot of the aftermarket parts for the LCP will fit and work in a P3AT. They are THAT similar. Main difference that I can see is the internal extractor and slide hold back feature on the Rugers compared to external extractor and no slide hold back after the magazine is emptied for the two Kel Tecs. Kel Tecs are a little less expensive to buy, possibly because they do not have to pay a licinsing/copyright/patent fee to anyone else when they build one like I am pretty sure Ruger has to pay to Kel Tec.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
personally I think those rugers and keltecs are all junk guns, take one and shake it, on my LCP the slide moves. none of them give the feeling of a quaility piece. thats why the LCP is gathering dust and why I man'ed up and and carry a glock 26

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My LCP works fine is reasonably accurate

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
personally I think those rugers and keltecs are all junk guns, take one and shake it, on my LCP the slide moves. none of them give the feeling of a quaility piece.

Not picking a fight here, but isn't the actual function the real test? Glocks "feel" like crap to me, but there is no arguing their reliability.

How does your LCP feed/function?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
personally I think those rugers and keltecs are all junk guns, take one and shake it, on my LCP the slide moves. none of them give the feeling of a quaility piece.

Not picking a fight here, but isn't the actual function the real test? Glocks "feel" like crap to me, but there is no arguing their reliability.

How does your LCP feed/function?

Exactly. Milspec 1911's shake and rattle all over the place, but they run and run and run and...

I have some fine pieces of wood and steel including an early pre War hand Ejector Smith & Wesson and a colt Delta Elite that has had lots of tuning and aftermarket parts fitted to it including a new Storm Lake Barrel. Several nice Walnut and Steel rifles as well. These do not mean my Kel Tec's are junk or bad guns. Quite the oppposite as they too are trusted friends and oft carried pieces as well. Depends on where and when I am carrying and what the weather and appropriate clothing are on a given day or moment.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
cummins -

Both my LCP and LC9 shoot all the time and pretty well where I aim them. I like smaller guns. I sold my G26 a number of years back because it is too bulky for my style of carry (pocket holster.)

However no one can argue with the reliability of the M26 or other Glocks.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not saying nor did I say the lcp or lc9 are unreliable, although my LCP has been back to ruger. it is the most reliable of the 3 different brand 380's I have owned. they just don't feel like a quility piece in the hand. a quality piece in the hand for a small gun, sig p238 is a contrast

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Cummins -

I waited for Ruger to sort out their LCP before I took the plunge.

The Sig caught my interest but as a pocket holster carrier, I wasn't ready for a "Locked and Loaded" semiauto in my pocket.

Thanks for the post.

Norm

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found the Sig just a bit too heavy for pocket duty and if I was gonna carry a belt gun might as well be a big one, went to a Glock 19. Did the Glock simply because I was tired of cleaning rust off the Commander at the end of the day.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not saying nor did I say the lcp or lc9 are unreliable, although my LCP has been back to ruger. it is the most reliable of the 3 different brand 380's I have owned. they just don't feel like a quility piece in the hand. a quality piece in the hand for a small gun, sig p238 is a contrast

The Sig is a quality feeling little piece, but an external safety is a really bad idea on a pocket/belly gun. Especially if it is going to be carried by a highly UNTRAINED shooter like my wife. She goes to the range with me and can load, unload various handguns well and is a decent marksman at various targets with her handguns but if an intruder or rapist wannabe is close by I do not want her - OR ME for that matter - to have to think about or try to manipulate a safety while under that kind of duress. Point and shoot, fast, needing to be the order of the day.

For these applications the Kel Tecs and Ruger plastic pistols are about ideal. I have other guns for when I want to play with and admire a 'quality' or nicely machined piece. Crisis intervention is not bullseye shooting or show and tell time. It is about makeing lots of holes quickly and reliably - period.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the LCP and the LC9.......Both are quality built guns, accurate enough, and shoot anything and everything I feed them.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have shot my LCP a lot, no malfunctions.

You 380 dudes need to lay your hands on some Buffalo Bore 90g HP at 1175 fps out of the LCP...they will make a believer out of you!

Thanks safariman for turning me on to these bullets: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=129

Last edited by keith; 09/21/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are welcome, but check out the performance of the Buff Bore 100gr FNHC loads as well. In both RJM's tests and the NRA's recent tests they blew through EVERYTHING put in front of them, including TWENTY FOUR inches of ballistic Gelatin. I load four of those and three of the Buff Bore HP's in the P3AT.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Took my LC9 out for the first time last weekend. Put just under 200rds through it with no issues. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. The length of the trigger pull takes some getting used to I will say. But, with decent follow-through it put them where you're aiming. I added a Hogue grip and it fits like a glove now. I also removed the bluing and polished the barrel somewhat and coated it with Dyna Coat. Looks good too!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,970
Posts18,499,310
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.