Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
...but in my view there is nothing worse than getting a nice trophy and having it botched by poor taxidermy.

Just one thing worse...........

posting a pic of the banjo bear on the 24HCF!!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But, good point about knowing ahead of time what to expect from the taxi. Also, a lifesize bear will take a bit of room space as well. I vote rug!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
My wife will be happier with rug, though she'll only let me put it downstairs in the "man cave" lol ... A full mount would have to be a "surprise"...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great bear there, and I wish I had your problem. If one has a lodge like room and enough ceiling such that the bear fits in as opposed to dominating the space, then do a full body. I'd be more inclined though to do a rug. A wall displayed rug can complement a smaller room than a full body.

I have what I consider to be two huge living rooms, one with a 16 ft ceiling. A walking postion mount, shelved about 8 ft off the floor might work in the taller room. Anything else standing on the floor would be a bit much for either room.

I live in some pretty fair elk country, and one see numerous elk shoulder mounts around town. Most are handsomely displayed in garages. A face on 6 by elk mount under an 8 foot ceiling has the nose bumping most folks in the navel and projects out about 3 ft into the room. That leaves a lot of floor space that is unusable. Mounts simply look a bit more imposing to me if we look up at them.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/06/12.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The monster Kodiak bear from this spring is likely going to be a full body mount "climbing" around a door frame so the head is at least 10-12' off the floor and looking down with a "You owe me money" sort of look...

But it is going to require a remodel to get there...

Rugs take up too much space. I give away my brown bear hides because there simply is not enough room to display them in the average home. I have two places where a typical brown bear rug COULD go... Either would require moving a number of other critters around and that would not work.

Still waiting to see what a certain webmaster is going to do with one from some time back... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
how about a 3/4 mount?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
STILL LIFESIZE!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just spoke to Tom Hardesty, owner of Atcheson Taxidermy where my rug was being made. Good news on two fronts. My bear has not gone past the point of no return and my wife Ok'd a full mount! Tom will credit my payment for the rug towards the full mount, do any of you have any experience with Atcheson Taxidermy? Tom has been absolutely fabulous with me and as long as their work is comparable with Animal Artistry, Jonas Brothers, etc. I'd like to give him my business. If there's any doubt I'm going to go with Animal Artistry. Please PM me with your opinion?

Thanks!

Last edited by colorado; 10/08/12.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One peek at the website does not show work in the same league with Animal Artistry or other top taxidermists, IMO... But then their prices are quite a bit lower...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, Sitka, same input I'm getting from others. I'm going to call Animal Artistry tomorrow and have Tom send my bear to them ...

Thanks

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 10 footer is the focal point of my trophy room.
I had wanted a standing bear since I was a kid, they do take up less room, but I've seen some great looking bears on all fours too.

I wanted his arms down and his mouth agape as if testing the wind or checking something out off in the distance which is they stand in the first place...

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That is one awesome mount Salmonella!

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Beautiful! My bear is on his way to Animal Artistry. I like this bear (from a wildlife photo) but he needs to be a bit meaner looking otherwise I'll get a lot of grief.

[Linked Image]

So maybe the bear above with a look like this?

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Real, not meaner.

[Linked Image]

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
My 10 footer is the focal point of my trophy room.
I had wanted a standing bear since I was a kid, they do take up less room, but I've seen some great looking bears on all fours too.

I wanted his arms down and his mouth agape as if testing the wind or checking something out off in the distance which is they stand in the first place...

[Linked Image]

That's a great mount.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one a buddy of mine shot on Kodiak -- a good example of a mount on all fours. Beautiful bear -- big skull, thick fur, only a small rubbed patch on his rump.

[Linked Image]

It was a 10+ footer, and the skull is solid B&C. I wrote the story for Sports Afield magazine (March/April 2011). The title is "A Kodiak Promise." Way back when we were kids, Tom and I built a treehouse together and while wrangling scraps of lumber up into a big red oak we dreamed about hunting Alaska. Some 40 years later Tom made a 5-mile stalk right at the end of his hunt, and connected on a 315-yard shot for this bear.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Scalp and ears on the wall, teeth and claws on a necklace. You can make him any size you want! smile

A full mount brown bear is only "magnificent" justice that they deserve.

40 plus years up here and I have never killed one- nor desire to do so. Sure watched a bunch tho - even sampled the eating a couple times. Meat ain't that special that I'll kill one for eats, even secondarily.. and killing one for hide and hair only seems wasteful.

Personal preference - YMMV, and have at it. But that's a right fine bear!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks much las.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
salmonella that is a beautiful mount....very life-like.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Harry,

I thought long and hard about a standing mount for mine, after seeing your mount in pics some time ago.

Ended up deciding to go with him on all fours, partly because he has some thin belly hair, but mostly to keep him as natural as possible.

Should be done in next couple of weeks....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 56 invisible), 3,806 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,741
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.