-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He could've gotten a check for a few thousand if he settled out of court, but wouldn't have gotten anything in court.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Help me understand something.......If the guy carrying the gun wasn't doing ANYTHING illegal (the cops admitted that), why are many of you saying he was wrong??

Yes, I understand he was carrying the gun as an "activist", but that is also NOT illegal......according to the LAW, he has the RIGHT to openly carry his firearm......and that RIGHT is NOT dependent on the approval of law enforcement officers that don't like it or citizens that have an irrational fear of firearms.

In this instance, the cops should have driven by to make sure he was carrying in accordance with the law and LEFT HIM ALONE!! They had NO probable cause to stop and detain him and, if the cops had followed the law, none of this would have happened!!

It was very obvious from the video that a couple of the cops were just making things up as they went........they were not happy because he wasn't willing to just lay down and do as he was told......even though the cops had NO authority to issue such orders........

I hope he sued the city, state and the individual officers and won big!!

i'd have to agree with that.

=========================================================
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Each side had valid arguments. Obvioulsy the police were baited, and that's not a respectful thing to do. If they were called by a concerned citizen, they should investigate. If someone was armed and pacing back and forth in front of my home, I just might call the police, and I would expect them to respond. Both packer and enforcement, however, could have been a bit more polite with their questions and responses. Enforcement was simply not used to and likely not schooled on how to handle such situations. Still, the police showed a fair amount of restraint given the poor cooperation.

If one keeps up that practice, he may find himself cuffed and face down quite often. He might not want to stroll around any Denver theaters in the near future. It's sad that our country has come to this, but guns instill fear in a large proportion of our population. There are rights, and then there is common sense.

Around here, it used to be quite common to see sidearms in the local grocery store. Not so much anymore. There are plenty of long guns in racks and propped up on the seats out in the lot though, and those rarely draw a look.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/06/12.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
He could've gotten a check for a few thousand if he settled out of court, but wouldn't have gotten anything in court.

Not sure a jury would agree with you..........

Cancer Sucks
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 1minute
Each side had valid arguments. Obvioulsy the police were baited, and that's not a respectful thing to do. The packer and enforcement, however, could have been a bit more polite with their responses and questions. Enforcement was simply not used to and likely not schooled on how to handle such situations. Still, the police showed a fair amount of restraint given the poor cooperation.

If one keeps up that practice, he may find himself cuffed and face down quite freqently. It's sad that our country has come to this, but guns instill fear in a large proportion of our population.

Around here, it used to be quite common to see sidearms in the local grocery store. Not so much anymore. There are plenty of long guns in racks and propped up on the seats out in the lot though, and those rarely draw a look.

I disagree. The guy was walking down the street with a gun. Perfectly legal!! That's Not baiting. The cops didn't know how to do their job and F'd up the whole thing from the start. All a cop had to do was approach him and say something like "Hi how ya doing buddy." "Having a good day today? Mind if I ask ya one quick question? Your gun legal?" A good cop can tell by body language alone what he's got. The guy is straight up legal just because some liberal puke stain gets their panties in a bunch they shouldn't violate his 2nd ammendment rights.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
Each side had valid arguments. Obvioulsy the police were baited, and that's not a respectful thing to do. If they were called by a concerned citizen, they should investigate. If someone was armed and pacing back and forth in front of my home, I just might call the police, and I would expect them to respond. Both packer and enforcement, however, could have been a bit more polite with their questions and responses. Enforcement was simply not used to and likely not schooled on how to handle such situations. Still, the police showed a fair amount of restraint given the poor cooperation.

If one keeps up that practice, he may find himself cuffed and face down quite often. He might not want to stroll around any Denver theaters in the near future. It's sad that our country has come to this, but guns instill fear in a large proportion of our population. There are rights, and then there is common sense.

OK, what were the cop's "valid arguments"?? They all admitted that the guy did NOTHING illegal......his only "crime" was not giving the cops their "DUE" respect!!

Sure, they have to investigate the call, but they DID NOT have probable cause to stop and detain the guy......once they violated the law by stopping and detaining the guy without probable cause, they were in the wrong and everything they did after that just made things worse.

A citizen has no obligation to tell a cop where he has been, where he is going or what he is doing, when a cop asks you those questions, he is on a fishing expedition.

If you have never seen this video, you should watch it and you will certainly understand why talking to cops is generally not in your best interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A civil rights violation suit in federal court has to establish that the plaintiff received some sort of damage. Being detained for 13 minutes wouldn't result in any serious payment for damages.

How much do you think he should get paid?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This guy is an idiot. Lucky he didn't get shot. He does have to identify himself and give his age as part of their investigation.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
This guy is an idiot. Lucky he didn't get shot. He does have to identify himself and give his age as part of their investigation.
Only if they can articulate reasonable suspicion of his involvement in a crime, and even that's a gigantic, court fabricated, compromise of the Fourth Amendment requirement of probable cause. The principle enshrined in our constitution is that a person has a general right to be left alone by authorities absent probable cause, and has no obligation to cooperate with any harassment by government agents short of a showing of same, normally in the form of a court issued warrant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a clear case of inadequate training on the part of the police officers involved. They are mentally challenged without their tele-prompter. Empty chair cops. Nothing new here . . . move along!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Only if they're investigating an actual crime, which they weren't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The jerk was sure enough wanting to stir up some cop trouble and the sad thing is that he succeeded. The squeaky voiced cop should have let someone else do the talking and the rest of them go on about doing what cops do.

Jerks such as this guy do this kind of stuff just because they can. Maybe someday this guy will test the wrong cop and get a good butt whupping or get to "ride the taser."

TRH, you should try this stunt.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A civil rights violation suit in federal court has to establish that the plaintiff received some sort of damage. Being detained for 13 minutes wouldn't result in any serious payment for damages.

How much do you think he should get paid?

Maybe 10K per cop paid by each of them out of their own personal funds.......and then either fire the cops or demote them to meter reader.

Personally, I think the guy quit too soon........he should have refused to leave the scene with his father and forced the officers to either arrest him or allow him to proceed on foot as was his legal right.

When that fat doughnut eater with the big mouth threw him to the ground and cuffed him, then he would have recoverable damages.......

I believe there would be a lot less stupidity from law enforcement if each individual officer was held PERSONALLY liable, criminally and financially, when they screw up.

Please understand, my late father was in law enforcement and I have several cousins and a sister in law that either are or were cops, so don't just write me off as a "cop basher"........I am just tired of cops that ignore the law, make their own rules and rarely answer for it.

Cancer Sucks
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
First, most police officers deal from a "us vs them" position, and all civilians are considered a possible threat. Second, most cops and a high percentage of civilians consider an armed citizen a direct "threat" no mater what he is doing. I'm happy to live in Arizona. The other day, there was a guy with a gun on his hip in the local Walmart pushing his cart down the isle, and no one was the least bit concerned.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Only if they can articulate reasonable suspicion of his involvement in a crime, and even that's a gigantic, court fabricated, compromise of the Fourth Amendment requirement of probable cause.

Agreed, but we dont know what others saw which prompted the call to police. Between the first frames of the video until the police showed up, he could have crossed the street 20 times, walking in circles, ect...if any of of those callers used the words lunatic or mental, anything to indicate erratic behavior, they had the right to investigate, even if just for the fellows own safety.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
The jerk was sure enough wanting to stir up some cop trouble and the sad thing is that he succeeded. The squeaky voiced cop should have let someone else do the talking and the rest of them go on about doing what cops do.

Jerks such as this guy do this kind of stuff just because they can. Maybe someday this guy will test the wrong cop and get a good butt whupping or get to "ride the taser."

TRH, you should try this stunt.

Man, you need to READ what you just posted and ask yourself if you REALLY mean what you wrote??

Remember, the guy did NOTHING illegal.....he violated NO laws.......leave the gun out of it and put yourself in his place.......do you REALLY want cops to "give you a good butt whipping" just because you are doing something that they don't like?? Maybe you would roll over and be happy to comply with anything they tell you......most sheep would......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pahick

Agreed, but we dont know what others saw which prompted the call to police. Between the first frames of the video until the police showed up, he could have crossed the street 20 times, walking in circles, ect...if any of of those callers used the words lunatic or mental, anything to indicate erratic behavior, they had the right to investigate, even if just for the fellows own safety.

If that was the case, you can bet the big mouth doughnut eater would have said so in the video...........he didn't.......case closed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guy answered way, way too many questions.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope you don't take this as an affront, but I'm pretty proud that we have a Campfire cop willing to make that kind of a statement. If you actually do get fired because you won't seize a firearm, let me know: I may be able to be of some service.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If that was the case, you can bet the big mouth doughnut eater would have said so in the video......

Maybe so, I wont bank on it tho.

Originally Posted by Barak
Guy answered way, way too many questions.

Definitely. As far as he pushed it im surprised he went with his dad. I figured hes this far into it, why not ask what they would do if he disobeyed their order not to continue on foot? If they arrested him...$$$$

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 45 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,002
Posts18,520,503
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.