Campfire Tracker
K
they eat watermelons and strawberries also

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had an experience similar to yours about 15 years ago. Extremely dry year and the pears were only golf ball to baseball size.

I gathered up two five gallon buckets of them and took them to the deer lease and dumped them out. Couple of weeks later took another five gallon bucket of them to the same spot. Nearly all the previous dump was gone. Ground was hard so there were no tracks. Dumped the buckets full and as I drove away looked in the rearview mirror to see eight yots eating those pears.

I thought since all the creeks were dry they were eating them for the moisture.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Omnivores.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Put a 50gr V-Max through one last year in the pumpkin field out back. Saw him eating on something & fully expected to find a half eaten bunny when I walked up but nothing there but punkins. Made me wonder if that's what he was eating. Now I'm even more curious... neat piece of info here.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They love persimmons once they are ripe and fall.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mike7mm08: Along these same lines I have personally observed (in my own yard here in SW Montana) Foxes eating Crabapples both on the ground (fallen) and in the lower branches of my old tree!
Also this, I have underground lawn watering and in summers run the heads twice per day (once in the morning and once at sunset) then the Fox will come to the yard (usually just at and after dark) and they will quietly stalk nightcrawler sized worms in the wet grass!
When a creature is hungry I guess they will eat what has calories in it?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mike, why don't just stay in the stand a couple evenings and shoot a couple coyotes...??? To me that would be good for everyone, but maybe the coyotes..

Molon Labe
N
N
Originally Posted by Bassturd
No coyotes have eaten my wife's cooking! That would take them down where they stand.

B

And I thought my wife's cookin was ....not so good.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
So will deer eat melons ?

Long live the NRA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
dh1.......yes, sir....they do.

I'm sure that down around Carlsbad you have those desert gourd patches. I popped a little female standing among the vines chomping away.

Grasshoppers too.

Years ago i sat and glassed for an hour or so four coyotes eating something on the ground with cattle all around watching the coyotes. Finally the coyotes padded off and i walked down the draw to find out what the heck the story was.

The coyotes were eating fresh cow pies! There were several newborn calves in the herd and mama's milk was present in the cow pies.
Now i didn't figure that out......an old greyhound breeder told me.

This thread.....2,450 hits!.....with only 28 replies.
Indicates lots of interest in coyote behavior.

Last edited by chapped_lips; 11/18/12.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They even eat each other.
Every coyote I shoot & leave on a ranchers dead cow pile is eaten by other coyotes.
The dead pile is a great place to shoot em over also.
Ive taken 5 off the pile so far this month having a feast.
I had 6 at it this morning, but only got one as they all hit splitsville.
The neighboring rancher said they eat all his apples that drop/ or hang low on his trees and Im to shot them also when I get there.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They eat lead to but it usually kills them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just this morning as I was driving in to work several yotes were in fields down the road that just had chicken litter spread on it. Don't know if it's chicken feed, chicken parts, or just the crap, but they chow down on something that's in the spread litter.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Mike, why don't just stay in the stand a couple evenings and shoot a couple coyotes...??? To me that would be good for everyone, but maybe the coyotes..

Been busy and have not gotten back to this thread

We have some real goofy laws in Wisconsin as far as night hunting goes. I cannot use a light to see if the coyotes are there. But once they are there I can turn the light on to shoot them. So other than a bright full moon I have no chance of seeing them before I light them up to shoot them. All the full moons of late have been cloudy. Also baiting coyotes is illegal.

I can legally hunt over a gut pile. But during the gun deer season I am hunting in a shotgun zone. So for those nine days I cannot hunt with a rifle even though it is legal the rest of the year. And I cannot hunt with or even possess shot shells loaded with shot larger than BB or any size buckshot until after December 9th. So unless I shoot an archery deer during late season no gutpile and legal bait.

We also have a Barney Fife of a warden roaming the neighborhood on a regular basis. He claims he has gotten a lot of reports of shining deer and night shooting. So me sitting with a spotlight and a 22-250 over a illegal bait pile is just asking for a whole bunch of hassle and tickets. Neighbors really really don't like me so I am sure they got the warden on speed dial just waiting to call on me.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't miss the days of night hunting yotes in Wi. I much prefer hunting them in daylight here in Neb. Much easier to spot in the more open terrain too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,959 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,832
Posts18,517,042
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.