-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Install a NightForce 2.5x10x32 on it - you can then beat the living schit out of it & not worry!!

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Will he also be beating hell out of his eye brow or the bridge of his nose?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
Will he also be beating hell out of his eye brow or the bridge of his nose?

Neither!!

NightForce 2.5-10x32 specs:

3.7" eye relief

12" in length

Swarovski AV 3-10x42 specs:

3.5" eye relief

12.44" in length

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
now post the weight difference

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NightForce = 19 oz

Swarovski AV = 12.7 oz

6.3 oz difference = take 2 less candy bars & you're even !!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 04/18/12.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sako--what reticle did you buy?

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tomk
When the AVs were introduced there were relatively a lot of issues with the reliability particularly the 3-9 version. That is where the bad press came from and it was justified. We were Swaro dealers at that time.

Complicating the reliability issue was the sales structure. Swaro was dealer direct and would take on small dealers for something like a 20 scope order, say. They had a minimum markup that you could not sell under--10%. Those two factors meant a lot of scopes sat on the dealer shelf for a long time. To move against everyone else selling at the same 10%, they went across the counter at less than 10%, but we did not advertise it.

A significant number of 3-9s went back for a fix after puking in the field...and they puked pretty quickly. The 3-10s were better but...

That changed, of course, as they improved the scope but the problem kept popping up from old stock gathering dust sold as "new" from the dealer network. They all looked the same...except for the serial number.

So I'd check the manufacture date of the older unused or lightly used models with the serial number(call to CS) prior to going to Alaska...Swaros CS was great to us, BTW.

The recent Swaros are probably just as reliable as Swaro wants to make them.

This.

I can believe they had a problem early on. I cannot believe that Swarovski, of all people, would just continue to sell an essentially defective product.

As I've said before, I'm not married to the damn thing and will report any issues I have. It's just that it's been so mechanically reliable, on a pretty hard kicking "platform" no less, that I can't help but defend it when it's called mechanically UNreliable.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

It's just that it's been so mechanically reliable, on a pretty hard kicking "platform" no less, that I can't help but defend it when it's called mechanically UNreliable.

From reading your posts the last few years you seem to suffer from either "I saw it once so it has to be true/false" or "I read it once so it has to be true/false" syndrome. You have this tendency to ignore what people with real experience/knowledge say, yet latch on to some really hokey ideas from people without real experience/knowledge.

It's called a sample of one. If yours works, great. But to ignore that there are/were a lot of problems with the AV's when someone asks is setting them up for failure.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Formid, I think you nailed it with JeffO. As for me, I'm one of the "unlucky" SwaroA owners (3-10x42) who had one go south, on a hunt for big mulies. I shot the poor thing to pieces 4 times from 140 yards with a dead rest. Bad erector. Swaro fixed it, I sold it.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/18/12.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now discontinued, but the old 4x32 Swaro might be a great combo on a rifle like that, for it's purpose.

Never any issues w/the fixed Swaro I ran, it's plex was bolder than the variables I have peered thru fwiw.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"I cannot believe that Swarovski, of all people, would just continue to sell an essentially defective product. "

Well Jeff, I can't believe they didn't issue a recall or something similar...not exactly above board was it?

Admitting an issue and fixing it would have been the way to treat your dealer network and the guys putting their hunts on the line.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be damned, guess you learn something new everyday.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TomK, that is good information and makes a lot of sense as to the poor reputation.
I'd tend to the 3-9x36 all things being equal. HOWEVER, I'd lean to the longest eye relief first. It will be an issue on that 6lb rifle.
I like 4" of eye relief, but I am a chicken at heart when it comes to getting hammered in the face.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

It's just that it's been so mechanically reliable, on a pretty hard kicking "platform" no less, that I can't help but defend it when it's called mechanically UNreliable.

From reading your posts the last few years you seem to suffer from either "I saw it once so it has to be true/false" or "I read it once so it has to be true/false" syndrome. You have this tendency to ignore what people with real experience/knowledge say, yet latch on to some really hokey ideas from people without real experience/knowledge.

It's called a sample of one. If yours works, great. But to ignore that there are/were a lot of problems with the AV's when someone asks is setting them up for failure.

The almost eye-watering irony being, of course, that most of the problems reported are a sample of one as well. Like JG. Bought it, had a problem, sold it, now every time there's a thread, there's he and a couple other guys bashing them. Based on a sample of one. And this is why I made this very point earlier in the thread. It doesn't take much to make an "everybody knows..." or "everybody says..." scenario.... Those are just as bad as the "I saw it once" scenario as you describe.

Like I SAID, I'm not married to the phookin' thing. And I'm not claiming expertitude with them. But guys act like they fly to flinders on a rifle that kicks. That may be their experience, but it's not mine, nor that of MANY other people who use them. Yet we are guilty of "sample of one"? Not seeing that. Rather, on the AV threads I see a vast <g> majority of folks report no problems, and the same few detractors.

Shall we talk about the SEVERAL Leup's I've had problems with? There's busted Leup threads all over the place. Guess they are garbage? whistle

Edit: hey, this reads as testy, and I don't mean it that way. No offense intended to anyone; I'm not belittling anybody's experience. I'd be pissed too if my fancypants Swaro scope crapped out on me.

Man, I am JINXING my AV with all this talk! grin

Always a pleasure gentlemen.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/18/12.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the input guys. I think that I'll roll the dice and throw on the AV since it is bought and paid for. I don't mind taking a few risks as I have bought quite a few Kimbers. If it goes belly up, I will go shopping for a fixed power Schmidt&Bender.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I put an AV3-9 with 4A reticule on my 8lb 338WM close on 3 years ago; fired well over 200 full power rounds.
No complaints, nice scope

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My sample of 4 swaros, ( 1 AV and 3 Z 3's) has been problem free. I've a couple respected friends who've had issues with theirs, but for me and many others they've been a great scope.
My 7 3/4 lbs. 300 H&H has got some snap to it, but with 500+ rounds behind it the swaro has been fine; although I'll admit once I've got my load developed I'm not playing with the adjustments like other folks, I pretty much just practice then go huntin'

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For your bear hunt I would look at a 3-9 Trijicon Accupoint crosshair with a green dot. Just a suggestion

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No. Not a sample of one.

[
Shall we talk about the SEVERAL Leup's I've had problems with? There's busted Leup threads all over the place. Guess they are garbage? whistle

Yes. I am disappointed with most scopes made.

The difference between them is that there are not wide problems with Leupold's being destroyed from just shooting on average BG rifles. The AV's break from just shooting.

If my count is right there are 6 posters on this thread that have or have had Swarovski AV scopes. 3 have had problems. All three have of those have seen multiple AV's have issues. 3 out of 6 isn't a sample of one, it's a clue. What makes it worse is that we are not talking about Swarovski's as a whole like everyone does with Leupold, but one specific product line.

As a curiosity I just did a google search for "problems with___" Leupold, Swarovski AV, Nightforce, and SWFA SS. Note that I only searched for one specific model of Swaro but the entire line of the others. There were 12 links to hunters having actual broken AV's on the first three pages. Each one of those had multiple posters with problems. There were 9 links with actual mechanical problems with every Leupold model ever made on the first three pages. All but one were with tracking issues. hmmm.... how many Leupold scopes do you think are sold for every AV? There was one (1) Nightforce scope in ten (10) pages with a problem. There were zero (0) mechanical problems with SWFA's SS on the first three pages.

So.....

Sworovski AV- 12 links in the first 3 pages.
Leupold- 9 links in the first 3 pages.
Nightforce- 1 scope in TEN pages.
SWFA SS- 0 scopes in the first 3 pages.

We see quite a few Leupold's have issues with tracking in our classes. Probably 20 or 30% of them in a two day hunting class. Always with incorrect or inconsistent tracking. Never with failure to hold zero once set. Every single Swaro AV we have had come through has had problems. Inconsistent and incorrect tracking, failure to hold zero, turrets completely locking up, erector springs breaking, etc.

To be fair, and I have said this before, very few scope brands/models don't have issues when really shot and turrets spun.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,993
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.