-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm helping a young lady get started with deer hunting. Does anyone have a link showing the kill zone at various angles and where she should aim? We've discussed it, but sometimes a visual aid is worth a thousand words.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks - that should do it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a hair high for my personal tastes.. try to teach the kids bottom 1/3, because over 2/3 up is spine and then no mans land. Just my take on it. Angle wise it pretty much covers it.

Wished the vitals formed a round target like that in real life rather than the oblong one they do.

Good luck and thanks for teaching the kids!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have always taught my youngsters to shhot for the opposite shoulder, except for a few hard angle or straight on shots. Has worked so far

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wow thanks for that! I too am helping a youngster begin hunting this year. He's a neighbor kid who has Cystic Fibrosis. I'm doing all I can to make his hunting the best it can be!
We were out breaking in his new rifle and began conversations about shot placement an this will help a bunch!

Thanks!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I'm helping a young lady get started with deer hunting. Does anyone have a link showing the kill zone at various angles and where she should aim? We've discussed it, but sometimes a visual aid is worth a thousand words.

I always teach in hunter safety class to aim for the exit. You will always hit vitals this way.

Good luck to you and the young lady.

JD338

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of diagrams and targets available showing a better vitals area on a broadside shot than that above. Simple google or trip to your favorite gun store to pick up targets.

Here's one you can order from Amazon, made by Hoppes.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-Critter-Paper-Targets-28X28-Inch/dp/B000H6R082/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_y

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IBEP had some 3 d small deer out, complete with vitals built in, and deer one side, vitals the other... with a long pin that you could slip in at whatever angle etc... from teh deer side, adn then turn around and see exactly what you hit from the flip side.

By FAR one of the best ever teaching tools I've ever seen in my years. I was about to buy a set, before I quit teaching... still wished I had the deer just to show some idiots a thing or two at times...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I grew up around hunting big game with basic archery tackle. I was taught a few different techniques during my youth, but the one that I feel helped me the most was shooting for the exit. I found that shooting for the exit better helped me to visualize the center of the vitals within the game animal, and it gave me less room for error than shooting for the entrance. Later on in my life when I taught my children, I used this same technique which works equally well with a centerfire rifle, and in fact becomes much easier being there are fewer limitations with shot presentations. Exposure to real game animals and realistic 3-D targets are better teaching aids than 2-D pictures to help kids visualize the path through the vitals and out the exit. In the end, if you think about it, you are actually aiming at the same unseen spot withing the deer no matter which shot presentation you intend to take.

Good Luck smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Looks good to me. I teach hunters safety here in Michigan, and they have a lesion on the computer, that will show you where to hit a variety of animals. You then press the mouse, it will then show you what you hit.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,240
Posts18,504,551
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.