Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Yeah, I know a guy that has pseudo-gout and it sucks cause the normal remedies for gout do not work. Has he switched to distilled water only for drinking?

i forget what med he is on but it works, staying hydrated keeps the attacks to few and far between....think he has one or two a year.....there are meds that work, just not the same ones for gout which should be no surprise since the crystals are chemically very different...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by atvalaska
rich mans sickness!....back to back prime rib....shrimp....coeflower..... = gout

Thanks ATV. wink

gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I take 400 mg. of allopurinol daily, and haven't had an episode in 5-6 years now. I'm grateful for that, like you wouldn't believe. I've had it in the toe, knee, elbow and wrist, it's not for sissies.................

Avoid seafood, especially shellfish, cut back on the red meat, too, and mushrooms can trigger gout, also. Google up "gout" and there will be several things that can help, mostly avoidance of certain foods that we all love............

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rah-Jah Ratsmacker Thanks Bro, I rarely eat anything from the oceans or gulf, dont fork with shrooms either, do have a nice steak bout 6/8 times a year, mostly live on deer, freshwater fish, chicken and such.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah it's painful!!!! I told the doc either fix it or amputate, I didn't care which and I wasn't kidding!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
man the "last" attack i got ...even a sheet pulled over it at nite in bed...had me cry ing! ...... better to remover "said toe" with a dull fire ax!!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My hand doc also told me that the arthritis in my knuckles is also inflamed by/related to the gout issues. Wanted to replace 2 knuckles, where index & middle fingers meet the hand - said 30 years of twisting screwdrivers and wirenuts, and 50+ of squeezing pliers, and swinging hammers pretty well did them in! He also recommended staying well hydrated, and easing off the beef & beer. Since I raise beef, and love beer, I just try to stay hydrated.

PS Gout seems to be somewhat genetic, also - according to the MD's.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Rah-Jah Ratsmacker Thanks Bro, I rarely eat anything from the oceans or gulf, dont fork with shrooms either, do have a nice steak bout 6/8 times a year, mostly live on deer, freshwater fish, chicken and such.

Gunner

Where do you buy your deer and fish? smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get an attack about once in five years. It is the most pain I have ever been in. I'm supposed to take allipurinol but I save it for the attacks.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by shreck
I get an attack about once in five years. It is the most pain I have ever been in. I'm supposed to take allipurinol but I save it for the attacks.

Allopurinol does nothing for an actual gout attack, except prolong it. Allopurinol is a preventative that rids your body of uric acid if taken on a daily basis. If you start taking it during a gout attack then it'll leech the uric acid out of your muscles and into your bloodstream, where it quickly goes to the affected joint and makes the attack worse. It's kind of like putting out a fire with gasoline.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I'll not take it if I get another one. They last about two days. Thanx.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 1096here
Several years ago I decided to eat a can of sardines. Hadn't had them for a long time. Developed a case of gout and went to the doc who prescribed a med. He also gave me a list of foods to avoid. Top of the list? Sardines.
The gout came back a while later and I saw a PA at the clinic. He prescribed Naproxen and it worked. He told me that naproxen is available over the counter in lower doses and if it flared up again just to take the dose he prescribed. Works great. Takes about three days to clear up.
As an aside I dropped a railroad tie on my right big toe and crushed it (quite literally). I would rather undergo that pain again than suffer from the gout.

Interesting. I eat a half can of sardines every morning. Apparently I need to stop that right away.

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like sardines with mayo and bread or saltines but not for breakfast, hell no!

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly, drop excess weight slowly - crash diets or super low carb diets will exacerbate the situation! Limit the alcohol.

Allopurinol as Rx med can prevent attacks. Gout sux!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Hate to be the continual dummy in the room but, what causes gout? Looking like something I want to try and avoid as I git older.

Gunner

Gout is malfunction in the metabolism of the amino acid purine which leads to the deposition of uric acid crystals in varies joints. The big toe is the classic site. Uric acid crystals, when viewed under a microscope look like long glass needles, and inflame the surrounding tissue badly.

Gout can be crippling. When someone said they swore they could feel sunshine on their gouty toe, that is not a big stretch of the truth. It is a MF'er to be sure.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dark cherry juice is the bomb for an attack. Clears it up in less than 24 hours for me. The moment you start to feel pain, drink about a half bottle and finish the rest up over the next day or two. JMHO YMMV TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (22kHornet, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 1badf350, 21, 33 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.