Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Guys PLEASE use a safety harness or vest EVERYTIME you leave the ground! I don't like climbers and mainlly use ladder sticks and Millenium hang on stands (best stand I've ever been in bar none!) and I also use a lifline so I'm hooked up from the second my feet leave the ground til they are back on ground. It's cheap insurance.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Millenium hang ons are not just bullet proof, but difficult to stay awake in. The seat is perfect, and the integrity of the hang on system is flawless.

I have a bunch for my hunters, everyone wants the millennium to sit in over all the others. They all also want the Hunter Safety systems vests, not the clumsy straps and other designs we have used over the years. I have now switched everything to millennium and Hunter safety.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is too bad however that is only one side to the story. I have been hunting out of climbers for years. I inspect and replace parts that need to be. I find it very hard to believe that two parts broke on his stand two years in a row from normal use. I am a summit guy but Lone Wolfs are great stands. They don't just break. Another thing everyone that uses a climber should always do is tie the top and bottom off to each other.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Millenium hang ons are not just bullet proof, but difficult to stay awake in. The seat is perfect, and the integrity of the hang on system is flawless.

I have a bunch for my hunters, everyone wants the millennium to sit in over all the others. They all also want the Hunter Safety systems vests, not the clumsy straps and other designs we have used over the years. I have now switched everything to millennium and Hunter safety.

Yes the seat is perfect, it's the only stand that I would not have a problem sitting in allday long. THey are comfortable and secure enough that you can sleep in them - I've done it more than once!

Take a look at lifelines, they are a rope with a Prusic knot that you stay connected to the whole way up and down the ladder. THey are about $30 each to buy or about $20 to make yourself.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Prusic suck change it out with either a VT (Valdetoin) or Distal. Thank me later.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been pushing my luck the last couple of years, common sense knew better. I think I'll get a proper harness and start using it.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Prusic suck change it out with either a VT (Valdetoin) or Distal. Thank me later.

What are these that you are talking about? I Googled them and it didn't show anything that looks like would be useful for what we are talking about. If they are better than a Prusic I'm interested in learning about them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is just me. I'd never say anyone else should do what I do (disclaimer), but I use climbing ropes with a prussic knot all the time. I'm 275 pounds and use 3 loops. It holds for me and I can straighten it and slide down fine. I use professional climbing ropes though. I buy static rope and the special rope for the prussic knots by the foot from EMS. I think the sliding rope is treated to take more heat for sliding. I tie a loop with a fishermen's knot. I lash the ends to the lines, and give 3 loops around the main line. I'll play with a distal knot tomorrow though.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I practice before season every year hanging and getting back to stand or tree steps. Set my stand about 5 feet from ground step off stand and hang from harness. Gives you practice if you ever fall.

Read stories guys die every year because they cannot get out of harness or circulation cut off.

Always carry a knife too where you can access it easily

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If all you want to do is go down a Prusic is ok.

A VT or Distal is a much easier knot to tend both up and down.

I live on a rope in big trees daily. I like the VT but would not hesitate to use a Distal. Prusic forget it they are not worth the time.

I am pretty sure all my ropes (tree and rock climbing) are professional. For both safety and rigging!

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll play with those two knots and see if I like them better than the Prusic knot but I don't have any problem going up as long as I have the rope tied to the bottom of the ladder.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is because you have not put a load on it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here is a link to a video of the VT knot.

VT

they spell it valdotain

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Work with a general surgeon who did his residency in Minneapolis. I guess I don't have to tell you what they are referring to when they say, another "deer diver" just came into the ER.

I used to hunt quite passionately from tree stands and have certainly had "my moments". My Double Bull ground blind looks better every year.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That is a good video of it Bob. The Distal is just as good too, but I perfer the VT.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Reelman, Try hip thrusting or foot locking with a Prusic and let me know how well that works out for you!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Reelman, Try hip thrusting or foot locking with a Prusic and let me know how well that works out for you!

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I know I've puller on the knot as hard as I could and jerked it as hard as I could and it didn't slip.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Right it isn't going to slip. Now after the load has been applied to the knot, remove load bearing and try moving the knot up the rope. It isn't easy. Like I said if you only want to desend it is an ok knot. If you want to be able to assend and desend it isn't a great knot.

If I were to fall out of my climber, I don't have to decend I can climb right back up to my stand either foot locking or hip thrusting. If I am climbing my climbing sticks and fall, I don't have to break the knot to assend the rope again. Very simple and easy to manage knot.

A
A
I am a nurse in N.E. Michigan and can tell you some great tales of woe. I do not leave the ground without a harness (not one from the 80s, GET THE NEW ONES the old ones will kill you also ........ slowly) since I started hanging stands in the 70s.

Knew this guy in Kansas that used to use those flimsy rubber coated screw in deals from Wally World to go up about 6 meters to his hanger without a harness. He also carried his arrows up the tree with broad heads. The rest of always expected to find him at the bottom of the tree with an arrow stuck through some needy part of his body.
My dad always said it's not he fall that kills you it is the sudden stop at the end.
Smart guy he was.

Deer diver! Eyes are watering. Mind if I use?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.