Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
podunk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
DELGUES thread got me thinking about them..... How do y'all like them?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I've got one in 270 and I am loving it so far. Its very light but carries some weight out front making it very shootable. I can't think of any negatives with the rifle so far.

Joel

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wood or synthetic stock?

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
It's the same stock that Melvin uses on the Nula rifles. Carbon fiber with Kevlar reinforcement and weighs between 16 & 20 oz. I like the McMillan hunters edge and the kimber 84 m stocks, but the tighter grip and cheek on the Nula stock fits me the best. I also believe its a bit stiffer along with being lighter. I don't think there is another prodution rifle out there right now that's a better package.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have one in .30-06 to test, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
How does it compare so far to your NULA 30/06?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Greenback has the one I had. I was really impressed! I'm looking forward to Mule Deer's opinions.

I can't wait for the 20B!!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Looks and feels just the same--except the paint on the Forbes rifle stock is probably tougher. Back when I got my NULA, 15 years ago, Melvin was still using a finish that chipped when whacked hard enough. More recent rifles (including the Forbes) have a more flexible, tougher finish.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
John,

if i recall from about 20 years back, the older finish was Dupont Imron paint...has Mel mentioned what the new paint is?

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I remember that your 06 had a bit heavier tube on it than the usual NULA, how does the Forbes rifle compare? I guess I'm asking what the muzzle diameter is.

And thank your wife again for me, I've compiled several of her cookbooks and enjoy them all, but especially the venison cookbook she released 3 years ago or so.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What is the barrel length?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Vel,

No, her hasn't mentioned the new paint, but the paint on the Forbes rifle appears to be very similar to the paint on the .257 Weatherby M28 I got about 5 years ago. It's grippier and much tougher than the old paint.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
David,

There really isn't any such thing as a "usual" NULA, since the barrel is whatever the customer wants. My .30-06 has a 24" #2 Douglas barrel, which is .600 at the muzzle. The Forbes rifle on hand has a 24" E.R. Shaw barrel that measures .614" at the muzzle.

E.R. Shaw re-tooled aboyt at decade ago, and since then their barrels have been comparable to Douglas's, both in my bore-scope and at the range. In other words, very good.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hi Vel,

No, her hasn't mentioned the new paint, but the paint on the Forbes rifle appears to be very similar to the paint on the .257 Weatherby M28 I got about 5 years ago. It's grippier and much tougher than the old paint.

thanks John,

that's good news!

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went to the biggest gun store in NH, and inquired about them. They had never heard of them , but said they would look into it and give me call. That was months ago and haven't heard a thing. Guess i'll have to use gun broker.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ER Shaw is just a couple minutes from my office and Forbes can not be an hour away down in Granville. I would like to get down there just to meet the guy, he seems like a pretty stand up fella from what write ups I have seen of him.

Mark

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked mine up yesterday. Scoped it is 6.5 pounds with a 24" barrel in 30/06. I'm glad the wait is over, now I just need to make it to the range.

TANSTAAFL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got the call a couple weeks ago that my Forbes rifle was in. I went to check it out and the pistol grip didn't fit my hand well and the "feel" wasn't great so I passed. I'm sure it would have shot well so I hated to not take it home but accuracy is only one part of the equation.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
I got the call a couple weeks ago that my Forbes rifle was in. I went to check it out and the pistol grip didn't fit my hand well and the "feel" wasn't great so I passed. I'm sure it would have shot well so I hated to not take it home but accuracy is only one part of the equation.

ddj

You are the first person I've seen mention this about the Forbes rifle or a NULA. I haven't handled a Forbes, but the NULA I shoot has a very closed grip....it's one thing I would change. I prefer a more open grip...that being said, I can still live with the more closed/vertical grip.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To each his own. I love the feel of my ULA and strongly prefer a more closed grip (Rem classic) over a more open grip (Sako classic).

RLTW
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, Barryt, 11 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,233
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.