Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a 788 that used to be my dad's, he gave it to me when I first started hunting. When he gave it to me he cut the stock down to fit me better. Later we added a recoil pad to get some of the legnth back, well now about 15 years later it's too short again. I'm planning to replace the stock with a one from boyds, just haven't decided between the pepper laminate, the nutmeg laminate, or the walnut. I think I like the looks of the laminates better, just can't decide. Won't be doing anythng until after this season though.

I know that the best improvements I can make to the rifle are actually to me and the ammo. The former will require alot of practice, and the latter will probably take hand loading. That said while I'm working on it I want to set the rifle up so that I have alot of room to grow and improve. A better scope would probably help, but I have a lot of improving to do myself before I worry about that.

While I have it apart I plan to install a Timney trigger, and bed the action. My understanding is that those stocks are already set up for barrel free float, but if not I'll be doing that as well. I basically want to do everything that I can to accurize this rifle short of replacing the barrel (though that may happen eventually). Are there any other common upgrade parts available for this rifle that I should look into?

When I disassembled the rifle the other day to clean it I noticed that the end of the firing pin was slightly bent. I found a repalcement, but I've heard that there was a titanium firing pin available for this rifle. If I am going to replace it anyway I might as well go ahead with the titanium. I did some Google searching but couldn't find anything, everything that turns up is for the 700. Anybody know if they actually exist and where to find them? This rifle has the round firing pin, don't know if they are interchangable.

HR IC

J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm going to take no replies to mean that I am on the right track, and that the titanium firing pins probably aren't available. Really wish that titanium firing pin was available, I'd much rather buy one of those than worry about bending another steel pin. I've read about them being quicker due to the lighter weight, but I don't care about that I was just after the strength.

I ordered a spare magazine from Midway when getting some items for my AR. While I was looking at what they had available for the 788 I noticed a Wolff XP main spring, it was just 8 bucks so I went ahead and ordered it. I know it's a stronger spring to go on the firing pin, but I'm not really sure what it would accomplish or if I want to use it.

I'll be getting paid next Friday, so I think I'm going to place my order for the Timney trigger then. Might also go ahead and place the order for the stock if I can decide on which I want. I like the looks of both the brown and black laminates; as I understand it they are stronger and less affected by weather, but also a little heavier. I like the factory looks of their Walnut, and it looks a lot better than the hardwood stock that came on the rifle. Can't decide if I want the flashy rifle that says "hey everybody look at me", or the plain looking sleeper that says "nothing to see, just your ordinary hunting rifle". The former would be more likely to make me embarrassed about my capabilities at the range, while the latter might surprise people with those flashy rifles if I can do my part.

I'd search more and try to find these answers but having no luck with this forum's search function (that's a discussion for another time and place though). So if these questions seem stupid and basic, sorry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have a 788 in 243 that I have had for years. My dad gave it to me years ago to use for my first deer hunt and he said to just keep it and if he needed it he would know where to find it. The only thing I have done is re-finish the stock. I had no idea what I was doing when I did it, and it shows, but it serves me well. I haven't had any issues with the firing pin so I can't help you out there. Go with whichever stock you like the best. The laminate will be more stable with weather changes than the walnut but it will also weigh more. So I guess it's what you want and go with it. Either way it will be a fine rifle that should serve you well. I have used the Timney for the Rem 700 and the Ruger M77 but never the 788. I am sure it will be a huge upgrade from the factory trigger as all Timneys I have used have been great. Good luck putting the 788 back in service.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JoshT,

You are not getting much response because there isn't much of an aftermarket supply chain for the 788. I have one chambered in 30-30. I replaced the factory trigger with the Timney and it was not a drop-in fit. I did have to remove some wood around it to get it to fit. Pay attention when you move the safety on and off because you will see a small metal knob/pin coming out of the side of the trigger housing. Make sure you inlet a relief area for it in your stock if it is not already there. Good luck with your project.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My M788 in 243 has a $70 Ramline stock on it, because the previous owner apparently used a chainsaw to shorten the LOP on the orig. handle and someone had Ramlines on sale when I needed a new stock. Works fer me.

There's an outfit in PA that offers what are pretty much OEM replacement walnut stocks at a decent price. They may even have laminates in that configuration?

http://www.gunstockduplicating.com/

Otherwise it's as-issued, although both of my M788s in 22-250 have had the original trigger modified (diff. springs/adustable over travel, sear engagment, etc) and work fine.

Here is one source for aftermarket M788 parts, or was the last time I looked for some? I need to get some bolt stop pins someday, as I have one that's been broken for years. Installed one in a relative's M788 a few years ago.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/

As for replacement M788 magazines, the warehouse manager for Numerich/Gun Parts told me several years ago at a show, that ALL replacements are manufactured for them, but now available thru other outlets. They appear to be exact duplicates, from what I can see.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll begin by saying I have had 3-4 788s over the years I have found them to be accurate dependable rifles but I don't quite see them as head & shoulders better than most 700s , 110s ,mod"70s, etc. frankly if I was you I would take it easy on the changes ie $$ as you are likely to have a perfectly capable rifle. As is. Fix your firing pin and since you have the new trigger install that as well as pick the stock you like best Before you mess with the bedding new barrel etc etc put it together and I'll bet you it will shoot good w/o the add'l changes expense and trouble. Just do one thing at a time and don't fix what ain't broken. You didn't mention your scope but that will probably do more than a firing pin spring etc. just mho

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I remember when the 788 came out, and were often used as a "lost leader" by the larger retailers. It soon gained a reputation as the most accurate rifle for a hundred dollars or less. It had one of the fastest lock times and the thick walled tubular receiver was very stiff. I had several and new others that owned them. I remember mine in .223 set me back $160.00 complete with a Weaver 6X scope and mounts, and shot 3/4" groups with GI ammo. Most shot under an inch out of the box regardless of caliber. I new one guy who got one in .44 mag (closeout @ $59.95), and it would shoot 1" groups all day long with Remington factory JHP ammo. To say they were plain looking is an under statement, but they sure did shoot good.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey everybody thanks for the replies. Kinda figured nobody had anything to add, or this got lost on the second page as happens a lot on other forums I frequent. Either way I happened on one of your charity builds the other week when searching for something, so I knew if there was a gun forum I wanted to be a member of this was it. So when I had questions about this rifle this seemed like the logical place to turn.

Reno, I think you can understand my thoughts about this rifle and why I want to make it suit me better. As I think I mentioned above, what I'm after is a longer LOP that I can't achieve with the current stock. Any other advantages gained from a stock, be it walnut or laminate are secondary. Given that the stock I've decided on at this point (it could still change) is the same price for any of the three colors that it comes in, I'm going to pick the one I like best. I'm a big guy and I carry around stuff that weighs a lot more that this rifle on a daily basis, so I don't think that the extra couple ounces will bother me. At current I am leaning towards the nutmeg laminate for this rifle, but that may change as I was dead set on the pepper last week.

Barm, thanks for the info. I figured that the 788 wouldn't have too much more available aftermarket. I sure couldn't find anything, but when all else fails ask the experts right. I was planning to install the trigger when I replaced the stock, so some fitting was going to be required anyway. That said I wouldn't have known to watch for it if I put it in the current stock. We all know how hard it is to resist playing with a new toy (especially one that goes boom) so I probably wouldn't have been able to wait for the new stock.

DubePA, thanks for the links. That shop didn't come up in my search for stocks, but I will certainly give them a call and see what they have. I've seen the trigger modifications but would rather spend the money on a Timney than try to do them myself, I can afford it and have the money burning a hole in my pocket. I found Wisner's and the mention of the titanium version. Unfortunately it was after Wisner's closed Thursday night, and they won't be opened till Tuesday. Since I could find no more than a mention about a titanium firing pin I figured who better to ask than a bunch of gun nuts.

Bangeye, to be honest I am not nor am I interested in comparing this rifle to a 700, 110 (savage?) or a 70. This rifle is what I have and given it's background it is going no where. Making the rifle more capable is really secondary here, primary goal is to make it fit me better. To that end I am replacing the stock, and the trigger (which I haven't bought yet). As said a dozen times I'm getting the stock so the rifle will fit me better. Since I have got to do the final inletting and finish work on the stock I figured that would be the best time to do the bedding. Is bedding really that much more expensive or more work than the final inletting? As for the trigger I just plain don't like the feel of the factory trigger. It's too heavy and has too much creep for me. Guess I've been spoiled by the JARD in the AR-15. As for the scope it's got "8 point 3-9X40" printed on it, which from what I can tell, is a Simmons. It's the same one that on the rifle when dad gave it to me 12 years ago. I have a hard time believing it can match the rifle, but I figure it will work to get me started. The firing pin spring was simply bought because it was available. Knowing how the aftermarket is for these I figured it's better to buy it now, than wish that I had it in a few years and it not be available. I'm honestly not even sure what the benefits of it are or if I will want to use it, but it was less than 10 bucks extra added to the cart so I bought it.

Timbo762, you just did a great job of summing up everything I've read about this rifle. If the reviews said the opposite, then this thing would get put back in the cabinet and I'd go buy something else. Those great reviews are why I want to use it and make it my own. It's a perfectly capable rifle it just needs a good shooter behind it, which I want to become. Practice makes perfect and I have a lot of that ahead of me. In current condition it will shoot good enough with any ammo to make a deer dead at 100 yards, which is most of the places I have to hunt this year. I know that with practice and the right ammo it'll be better. I just picked up 3 boxes of Monarch at Academy the other day for the sole purpose of practice, and when those run out I'll go buy some more. I don't expect them to shoot the best but they will be fine for getting me back used to shooting it, and will make fine brass when I start reloading.

I meant to mention in my first post that I don't plan on making any of the changes (except swapping out the firing pin) until after the current season. At a hundred yards I can put all my shots in the black which is good enough to take any deer I'll see. If I practice my shooting, become steadier (which I think will happen with practice), and go get my prescription updated for my glasses I'll tighten up a lot without touching the rifle. I never shot much as a kid, family just didn't have time to go places to shoot. For the last 8 years most of my time had been dedicated to working full time and going to tech school part time. So I know the best improvement I can make is simply to send some lead down range.

Sorry for the long post. I'm a single guy living alone so all that talking I don't get to do tends to come out in forum posts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good for you, hope you can get all the parts to make it really fit you like you want, I have only played around a little with the 788s, but they have all be very accurate.
The great thing about this forum is that you can't talk to much about rifles as there is always someone interested in what you have. Have fun and keep plugging away until you are happy, that's all that matters anyway.

Last edited by Mod7Nut; 10/06/12.
J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Quick update. Got my spare magazine in today, and it was a piece of ****. Didn't fit right and wouldn't feed for nothing. I could apply pressure to the bottom of the magazine and it would feed right, but if I have to do all that to chamber a new round might as well be a single shot. I tried to tweak the magazine a little to make it fit tighter and it practically came apart in my hands. On the plus side the new spring did tighten up my old magazine a quite a bit. Reality is it's a hunting rifle, I don't need a second magazine. If I can't get a deer in three shots, I don't deserve it.

I called Wisner's today and got the firing pin on order. If anyone turns up needing one they make them in house so shouldn't be any issue getting them in the future. Pulled my bolt back apart today and it looks like I'm going to have to have a gun smith swap out the pins for me. I can handle most things, but this retainer pin doesn't look like its going to come out so easily. Rather have a gunsmith do it than risk breaking something myself and putting the rifle out of commission.

IC B3

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
See if your gunsmith can fine tune the trigger it might save you some money. I have a Timney on mine and it required a little adjusting but works great.
Sportsman's guide store in MN. sells 788 magazines for around $30 or used to.
I don't think the 788 stocks had any cast on or cast offs for right and left handed shooters. I have a take off stock 788 from a .308 but is left handed if you want to try to switch the bolt handle inletting and make it work, it's yours. P.M me I'll have it on its way. Charles

J
JoshT Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks man. I'm sure that a gunsmith could make it better, but I've also read in more than a few places a gunsmith making these rifles unusable in the attempt. I'd rather go ahead and get the Timney, not too worried about the money if it has the same result as the JARD in my AR.

I saw those on the Sportsman's Guide site. They don't have a .243 but the .308 should fit, just worried about it being the exact same magazine I just trashed. I went with the Numrich one thinking the parts would be a little better.

I appreaciate the offer, but for 75 bucks I'll just go ahead and pick up the the Boyd's stock. I'm sure someone will come along needing a left handed stock, hold on to it for them.

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
JoshT I think you are making sound decisions. Best of luck to you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.