Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I can see where it would be nice if putting two tents back to back and also for extra ventilation in warmer weather. Any downsides?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No.

1Minute
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1 on that.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Myself, i would not want a door on each end, just get the Cook Shack addition and do it that way, that is what i did, it works great. JMO

Kevin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have two doors would make setting it up easier with a internal frame. You could set the whole frame up, the just pull the works over the top.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real downside is, any tent without two......

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Lotsa reason to have two doors,not any I can think of not to.
Hot day you can get a breeze going. Extra escape if fire or ? gets in tent. You can tandem two together of needed. When one door zipper gets worn with age, you can tie that door shut and use the other.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and it's easier to sneak in the whores without the neighbors seein'.....grin

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

GreatWaputi:

With two doors you give up the use of the end wall because it's a corridor instead of a work space. The tent becomes less efficient from for space utilization.

A good way to put two wall tents together is to set them up with the doors facing each other and span the distance with 1" EMT then cover the space with a tarp. Here's an example using canvas gable tents.

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The reason I ask is because I just snagged a 14x16 Kirkham's (AAA Tent & Awning) that has doors on both ends and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or my Davis 14x16. Both have features I really like, but I can't afford to keep both.

The Kirkham's has been used twice and has just about every extra they offer (doors on both ends with screens and their buckled Uintah storm door closure, windows in both side walls, extended eaves, internal frame kit with snow poles, and a factory rain fly). Both tents are the same size on paper, but the finished size of the Kirkham's is noticeably bigger than my Davis. Both have Sunforger treated canvas and the Kirkham's is also fire-retardant. My Davis has three windows (back and both side walls), a screened front door, Colorado door, and internal frame. The biggest differences are the doors on both ends of the Kirkham's and the way the internal frames are set up, with Davis having the better frame, IMO.

I wasn't really looking for another tent, but couldn't pass up the Kirkham's for what I paid ($600.00). Now I just gotta make a decision as to which one to keep. Right now I'm leaning toward the Kirkham's, and it doesn't hurt that they're local.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless one of those doors is zippered with a fly over it, it's going to be drafty, and like KC said you loose the end wall area for beds, cooking, storage etc.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Both doors are zippered and both have an outer buckled flap (Uintah door) that covers the zippers. Just thinking out loud, but just because you have two doors, doesn't mean you have to use both doors all the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well then it's a matter of choosing which tent you like the best, and going from there.
Frankly I don't think you can have to many tents. I have 3 wall tents, an army squad tent with the liner, and two smaller tents that can be used to pack in a spike camp or stay in when traveling lite, and not going someplace the camper can go.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you use 2 doors --- your tent is way too big. A screened window with a canvas flap (my flap is held down with velcro) is an okay option though.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Well then it's a matter of choosing which tent you like the best, and going from there.

That's the hard part.. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If they're both paid for, it's easy... Keep em both!!

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
If you use 2 doors --- your tent is way too big.

yeah, right........ a 9x12 with 2 cots, stove, gear and saddles/tack? Too big, huh?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only downside to any Wall Tents is putting them up and taking them down. Tent having two door wouldn't have any down falls that i could think of.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting you mention the putting up and taking down part. I just got back from a 10-day hunt where a buddy and I stayed in my wall tent. A good friend who also went on the hunt just recently purchased a Fleetwood Scorpion trailer (basically a tent trailer attached to an ATV trailer) and bragged the entire time about how easy it was to set up and take down.

They rolled into camp one day while we were out hunting, so I didn't see the set up, but the day we left, we both started breaking camp at the same time and we were done and had everything loaded in the truck and on the trailer an easy 15 minutes ahead of them. My buddy and I have set up camp and tore it down enough times together that we pretty much have it down to a science. Still not much fun, but well worth it once everything is set up and ready to go.

Ever camp with guys with trailers/campers and notice everyone tends to congregate in the wall tent(s)?

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
My wall tent is about 12'x 14'. No frame, just an EMT ridge pole and up rights and 1/2" EMT For the wall poles.
I set it up and take it down myself. I'm 5'-5" anddon't weigh 150 lbs. Having two doors makes it nice that I don't have to run around the front when I'm working on the back.Once the tent is set up you DON"T HAVE to use both doors if the back of the tent needs to be used.

Having two doors and not needing one of them is a wholelot better than having one and needing two.

If used duirng the summer, on a hot day, you will really enjoy being able to have a breeze thru the tent.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,768
Posts18,515,526
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.