Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
I am looking to get a 7mm Magnum for an Alberta mule deer/whitetail hunt next month, and have narrowed down to a Cooper 56 or a Sako. I took up big game hunting three years ago and the only hunting rifle I have is a Cooper 54 in 7mm-08 and I love this rifle and am sold on Coopers. (I have more tactical rifles and pistols - 20 years military & government service mostly in the sandbox) I definitely think the Cooper is worth the $1600 I spent on it.

I was in the local high-end gun store the other day comparing Cooper 56 Jackson Game with a Sako 85 and preferred the fit of the Sako - the Jackson Game stock doesn't fit me at all, but the Cooper Classic is a good fit. I haven't yet handled a Cooper 56 Classic but have located one at the Cabelas in Austin where I will be next week.

Now it's down to price - is the Cooper really worth $1000 more than the Sako? The Coopers are guranteed 1/2 MOA accuracy compared to 1 MOA for the Sakos; the Coopers are hand made in the USA, the Coopers are factory bedded and have the best triggers I have ever used, and they have Decelerator pads vice the red rubber Sako recoil pads. BUT they cost minimum $1000 more than the Sakos. That's a chunk of change and I have heard Sakos are outstanding rifles. The Sako85 weighs one pound less, has some nice wood stocks as well (I like wood hunting rifles), and the barrel is an inch shorter.

The reason I want to get 7mm Magnum is for 350 yard plus shots -- I passed up some long shots with my 7mm08 because I have it set up as a 300-yard rifle MPBR rifle and had two 400 yard shots I had to pass up on a Wyoming hunt last week -- I think I could have made them with a 7mm Mag with a ballistic reticle.

Any thoughts?

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you could have made those shots with the 7/08..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Maybe .... but I KNOW I could make them with a 7mm Magnum -- and I want another rifle! You sound like my wife "I thought your rifle was the best all-around why do you need another one?" frown

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had both and kept the Sako. The Cooper I bought new (reputable online dealer) had a myriad of different cosmetic flaws including the barrel not being centered in the barrel channel. I contacted Cooper customer service requesting assistance and was given an arrogant response about how I should ignore the fitment and cosmetic issues and just shoot it. On a $700 rifle, maybe. On a $1900 rifle, not so much.

Instead of stressing out about it or giving Cooper hell, I just sent it back to the shop I bought it from. The shop apologized for letting the rifle leave their shop and accepted the return. No harm, no foul.

I have a Sako now and like it. It's as accurate as advertized and the fit and finish are good. Would I buy a Cooper again? Maybe, but not sight unseen.

In regards to the 7-08 and antelope, IME, 400 yards is well within the range of that caliber. I really don't see any huge advantage to a 7mm vs a 7-08. If the 7-08 can't get it done, chances are the 7mm won't either. It's going to be less affected by the wind, but if it's that windy and you're shooting, chances are you're fairly skilled at doping wind. If that's the case, what's a few extra clicks on the windage turret or a few inches more holdover?

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by BravoFoxtrot

In regards to the 7-08 and antelope, IME, 400 yards is well within the range of that caliber. I really don't see any huge advantage to a 7mm vs a 7-08. If the 7-08 can't get it done, chances are the 7mm won't either. It's going to be less affected by the wind, but if it's that windy and you're shooting, chances are you're fairly skilled at doping wind. If that's the case, what's a few extra clicks on the windage turret or a few inches more holdover?

EVERYONE is convincing me not to get a new rifle! it's not really the caliber question it's more the difference between a handy mountain/woods rifle setup and a long range plains rifle setup. My Cooper 54 Classic weighs about 7 lbs loaded with scope and sling, and gets about 3 shots before the barrel needs cooling due to POI shift. It is set up with a Trijicon post/triangle reticle which is set for within 3 inches point of aim/point of impact out to 300 yards. I intend to set up the 7mm Mag with a ballistic or mildot reticle and establish my holdovers out to 500 or so.

Last edited by PoorKnight; 10/12/12.
IC B2

P
OP Offline
P
I contacted Cooper customer service requesting assistance and was given an arrogant response about how I should ignore the fitment and cosmetic issues and just shoot it. On a $700 rifle, maybe. On a $1900 rifle, not so much.

I do agree with you about not buying a Cooper sight unseen. I had to send both mine and my son's back -- however my experience with Cooper customer service was different they bent over backwards to fix the issues.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I think you can not go wrong with the Sako as far as fit and accuracy, only issue some people have is with the center position ejector make cases hit a really low mounted scope. The should have offset the ejector to the side a bit like on a Winchester 70. My Sako 85 260 is a hammer. Spence

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by PoorKnight

EVERYONE is convincing me not to get a new rifle! Ok, point made -- sticking with the 7mm08

Haha! Nah! Just telling you not to feel undergunned with 7-08. If you want a 7mm, by all means get it. No sense in hunting with a rifle you're not happy with. Go with what will make you happy.

Good luck!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had trouble with customer service with my first Cooper also, but I bought another because I really like their rifles. They need to work on their customer service as I have heard of numerous issues.

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
P
OP Offline
P

Haha! Nah! Just telling you not to feel undergunned with 7-08. If you want a 7mm, by all means get it. No sense in hunting with a rifle you're not happy with. Go with what will make you happy.

Good luck!

I really like the 7-08 -- it's really more the scope setup as a handy quick MPBR 330 yard rifle. I want to set up the 7mm Mag as a long range plains rifle.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There was a really nice 98% condition L61R Finnbear,7mag for sale on the Sako collectors forum about a month ago for $800. You might check it out.

http://www.sakocollectors.com/forum/showthread.php?7384-L61R-Finnbear-7mm-Mag-in-excellent-condition

[Linked Image]

I have a pre-Garcia L61R Deluxe 300H&H, an AV Deluxe 30-06 and a model 75 Hunter Stainless .270; they are all excellent rifles.The L61/AV actions are a fine piece of workmanship.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 10/12/12.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Cooper's are nice guns but if you are looking for an accurate out of the box gun, get a Sako. I have owned a few and regretted ever parting ways with them. I still want my 280 Finnlight back! I shot a mule deer at over 500 yards with it. Get one!

Enough already, just shoot it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

I agree with RL,especially if you handload.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sako...Smoother action and just as accurate IMHO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had both and kept the Sako. The Cooper I bought new (reputable online dealer) had a myriad of different cosmetic flaws including the barrel not being centered in the barrel channel. I contacted Cooper customer service requesting assistance and was given an arrogant response about how I should ignore the fitment and cosmetic issues and just shoot it. On a $700 rifle, maybe. On a $1900 rifle, not so much.

Instead of stressing out about it or giving Cooper hell, I just sent it back to the shop I bought it from. The shop apologized for letting the rifle leave their shop and accepted the return. No harm, no foul.

I have a Sako now and like it. It's as accurate as advertized and the fit and finish are good. Would I buy a Cooper again? Maybe, but not sight unseen.

I have a Sako 85 and a Cooper 52 Custom Classic. Both are nice rifles, but the Cooper is better IMHO. Mine is more accurate, it has a better stock, triggers are comparable. No flies on the Sako, but it's not a Cooper.

Chris
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have 2 Coopers, a 54(7-08 as well)and a 52(30-06) and i really like both of them. As far as being accurate out of the box, both of mine exceed the 1/2" garantee when I do my part. I can't say anything about customer service as I have not had a reason to contact them( and hopefully won't have to). I handled the Sakos at the same place that carries the Coopers and I simply liked the the way the Coopers felt more than the Sako. Also, when I was buying my 30-06, i was told by the manager that the Sako came with "proprietary" bases. I didn't like the idea of that so that was another reason I chose the Cooper

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I'd go Cooper because the bases actually screw to the reciever not clamp on like the Sako............Other than the cheesey mounting system I do like the Sako better overall, but the mounting system is a deal breaker..........Good luck................Hb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've never fired a Cooper. But I do own a Sako Classic in 7MM Rem Mag. It's by far the most accurate & reliable rifle I own.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I'd go Cooper because the bases actually screw to the reciever not clamp on like the Sako............Other than the cheesey mounting system I do like the Sako better overall, but the mounting system is a deal breaker..........Good luck................Hb

I actually like the Sako mounting system better than any other.It allows more adjustment.You don't need bases.The Sako has a tapered dove tail that acts as a base.You just need good ringmounts that will clamp to the dove tail rail.I would not use any of the two piece mounts adapted to the Sako.It would be like putting a base on top of a base and totally unnecessary.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 7-08 you have will kill mule deer just fine, near or way out there. Spend your money on something that will add to your experience. (glass, air fare, some other amenity) Good hunting, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,547
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.