-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too have been looking at safes for years. I once made an offer on a beautiful Browining safe at a business sale. The guy running the sale wouldn't take my offer and told me to go look at the side of the safe that was up against the wall. This vault was one of those very expensive and beautifully finished safes with the nicely finished picture on the front and the big three handled locking mechanism. It must have had 12 big 1 inch bolts that locked the door closed and it certainly was fire proof. Guess what, the safe had been burlgled. No half-way intelligent burglar will try and go thru the massive front door. The front door is all for show. What these burglars did was to drill 4 holes in a square pattern about 6-7 inches apart about 2/3 is the way toward the top of one side. They they drilled more smaller holes between the 4 larger holes. Then they used a hack saw and cut between the holes and pryed the flap open they had cut. They reached in, one arm at a time, felt around till they found a gun and lifted it out thru the newly cut flap in the side of the vault.

Since seeing the burgled Browning safe I have been looking more at the material thickness and type metal on the top and sides of the vaults than at the massive doors.

Rolly
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rolly
I too have been looking at safes for years. I once made an offer on a beautiful Browining safe at a business sale. The guy running the sale wouldn't take my offer and told me to go look at the side of the safe that was up against the wall. This vault was one of those very expensive and beautifully finished safes with the nicely finished picture on the front and the big three handled locking mechanism. It must have had 12 big 1 inch bolts that locked the door closed and it certainly was fire proof. Guess what, the safe had been burlgled. No half-way intelligent burglar will try and go thru the massive front door. The front door is all for show. What these burglars did was to drill 4 holes in a square pattern about 6-7 inches apart about 2/3 is the way toward the top of one side. They they drilled more smaller holes between the 4 larger holes. Then they used a hack saw and cut between the holes and pryed the flap open they had cut. They reached in, one arm at a time, felt around till they found a gun and lifted it out thru the newly cut flap in the side of the vault.

Since seeing the burgled Browning safe I have been looking more at the material thickness and type metal on the top and sides of the vaults than at the massive doors.

LOL, musta took alot of time to do that. Thats why I pay 50 bucks a month for a monitored alarm system. They gots 30 seconds from the time they enter to figure out what to do. (Run or Play) Response time 5 min for police, 2 min for fire. Wonder if they are that fast at drilling and peeling?

Swifty

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too have kept my little inconspicuous floor safe for my guns and installed a 24x7 alarm system that is monitored for doors, motion and fire. The big fancy safes, as beautiful as they are, are going to have to wait. I'd rather go on a hunt !

Rolly
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Rolly

LOL, musta took alot of time to do that. Thats why I pay 50 bucks a month for a monitored alarm system. They gots 30 seconds from the time they enter to figure out what to do. (Run or Play) Response time 5 min for police, 2 min for fire. Wonder if they are that fast at drilling and peeling?

Swifty

"They gots 30 seconds from the time they enter to figure out what to do. (Run or Play) Response time 5 min for police, 2 min for fire. Wonder if they are that fast at drilling and peeling?"

Humm, so that's why Nike sells so many $200/pair of shoes!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
With all the modifications might be getting close in cost to a built in. Turn an entire closet into a safe and add as much security and fire retardation as you want. Main cost is the door, lock and hinge system then plate steel on the walls and ceiling.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find a regular gun safe whose door opens 180 degrees. Mount one row of guns to the back of the door, and you can freely access another row in the back of the safe. Store the guns in their own protective sleeves to avoid handling marks.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Humm, so that's why Nike sells so many $200/pair of shoes!

Yep them nikes sure are nice, heard they can help some out run a speeding bullet. crazy But for those who feel adventuresome, and are prone to depriveing people of their property, then there is this.

[Linked Image]

Which is why I said How fast can they drill and peel?

And to the OP, Creative use of space is always a good thing. Theres more than 12 in this, and I dont get dings and dents.

[Linked Image]

Swifty

Swifty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We`ve all had the bumped guns and aggravation removing the guns in the back of the safe.The advertised capacity (number of guns) might be attained if you store only single barreled shotguns or similar.Trying to fit scoped rifles etc.the space is quickly filled. This website: www.storemoreguns.com may have the solution.I just ordered the rods advertised and hope they work as claimed. I too am tired of scratched stocks and having to remove 5 or 6 guns to get the one in the back out.
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Finally got a chance to rework the innards of one of my safes and use the 'store more guns rods' that I had ordered. The product worked just as advertised.Capacity claimed for this safe was 30 but 24 or 25 was the limit for me.It now has 43 in it and no banging them together to remove one on the back row.Mixture of long arms;bolt,lever,double guns and scoped.This is one of those times that you ask yourself "Why didn`t I think of that?"
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 3,239 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.