Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Was not sold on the ACC. The whisper has been around for a long time and worked fine.

And then my next thought has been the 762x39 instead of an ACC...

But I'm feeling open to suggestions... 762 could always blast cheap ammo...

Generally speaking I'd be looking for a twist able to stabilize heavy slugs, to be able to stay sub sonic and use a suppressor. Hence the 762 cheapy stuff would probably suck....

So now the 223 case and same mags and such makes more sense.

Any input welcome. I have not talked to John at White Oak to see... but anyone else doing barrels, IE fast twist barrels and not cheap ones like douglas etc..
Easy enough to do all the rest myself so searching for the tube itself and any input any subsonic shooters have to input.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My S&W .300acc or .300 Blackout (rifle shoots both rounds) is very accurate with the Hornady 115gr VMax load, and also with the Hornady & Remington Sub-sonic loads. Both rounds shoot sub MOA 5 shot groups @ 100yds with Factory Ammo. It's quickly becoming my favorite little hog gun here at the ranch.

The only drawback I see is the subsonic loads shoot 8" higher than the standard velocity stuff.

One selling feature for me was that it uses standard AR .223 mags.
I hate that I have to use a different AR mag for my 6.8, & another for my .308.
Plus the 300ACC round is much quieter with or without the suppressor than all my other AR's. Less recoil too. It's a hog killing machine.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
other mags aint' an issue as I have many different caliber ARS, and many ARs in general.

But heading to subsonic is the issue.

IIRC the whisper ran 240 smks. How is the vmax, thats an explosive bullet but may be fine at slow speeds.

RE impacts... I'd say thats a cool reason to order a scope with dots... figure out ammo, shoot in real life, have scope built with 100 yard dot for sub, and 100 for regular....

Of course 8 inches higher isn't that big a deal, it gives a decent reference, aim so there is a bit of "daylight" under the bottom and bang.

You bought a complete upper, and I just need a barrel so I'll hope some others chime in.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a CMMG upper in .300 Blackout, which has a 1:8 twist, presently mated to a CMMG lower.

Factory Rem subsonics with the 220 Matchking are only good for 3.5-4" at a 100 yards. My handloads with 10.9 gr of 1680 and the same bullet will cut that in half. I run to an OAL of 2.24", which is longer than recommended. Both factory loads and those handloads run flawlessly.

I'm testing it now with supersonic loads to see what it will do. If I can get better accuracy then I may stick with that barrel, or I may switch to a DD or Noveske barrel with a little faster twist.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have you shot anything like deer/pig with the 220s subsonic?

Accuracy is always a key, I'm somewhat picky, but could deal with 2 inches if I had to at 100 though it would aggravate me.

I have not even looked at twist rate.. you thinking even more like 7 or 6 twist due to low speeds long bullet ?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a CMMG 1-8 twist upper.
It will shoot my hand loaded sub sonic 200gr sierra MK's into ~1" @100 yards.
I've only killed one domestic hog with the above load. Hit in the ear and the bullet tumbled and exited.
DRT.
Also get ~1-1/2" At 100 with super sonic 125 BT hand loads.
Very happy with it.
Link to 300BLK web site.
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wanting data from lung shots no bone mostly.... looking at this round mostly for deer at the lease. Noise factor is an issue and now that suppressors are legal.... only makes sense to use them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a doe last year with the 220 Matchking subsonic load. Wounded & lost. Good blood trail, but it eventually she jumped a fence onto the next ranch and never slowed down. In hindsight I think I put it too high behind the shoulder. What would normally be a bang-flop with a .270 or .308 didn't work. frown

I wasn't used to thinking trajectory with a rifle under a 100 yards, but if sighted at 100 it's about 4 inches high at 50, hence the problem. If I try it again, I will be more exacting about placement - try for tight behind the shoulder and in the lower half of the chest.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
nice heavy ballistic tip around 240 grains or so that would open up down to say 800 fps, but not come apart at faster speeds IE around say subsonic, and on up to whatever max is, probably not much faster but lets say 2000 fps for grins..... that would be nice project for a bullet company... be even sweeter if a mono bullet...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I keep looking at it but realize unless your goal is suppressed it hasn't enough to offer more than standard 5.56. Suppressed and investing the money in the can, license, reloading dies, if you really dig it, then why not.

IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think its much easier to get subsonic with a 30 cal on a 223 case, with a heavy bullet, than to try to slow down a 70ish grain 223 bullet to almost 1000 FPS.... Never hurts to start with a larger diameter bullet either IMHO.

Just wondering RE expansion.

But yeah I've got my mind set on it. The cost of all the above is nil when compared to what I've spent over the years. 1000 for a can, 200 for a stamp, 100 for dies, and 500ish or so for an upper, thats a lifetime investment and amounts to not much in teh scheme of things really.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
nice heavy ballistic tip around 240 grains or so that would open up down to say 800 fps, but not come apart at faster speeds IE around say subsonic, and on up to whatever max is, probably not much faster but lets say 2000 fps for grins..... that would be nice project for a bullet company... be even sweeter if a mono bullet...

I think someone is now making bullets that are for the .300 AAC, that will expand at subsonic speeds, but I don't recall who. They are not very sreamlimed, however...

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
That wouldn't make much sense, not streamlined..

May have to make time to look at the acc chat forum too..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a paper patched, pure lead bullet would work grin

I think the ones I have seen are round nosed, intended for short range.

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been shooting deer with a 300 whisper for years. Subsonic 240 SMK's inside 100 yards. Personally I prefer a neck or head shot. If you can punch both lungs, fine, but be prepared for some tracking, just like a bow shot. I do NOT try to shoot the shoulders. Good luck.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Head shots are all I normally do on culls. Same on does. Culls sometimes do not allow that easily. And trophies sometimes really gets iffy and have to pitch one in the vitals...

Hence the wondering of how they work on lung shots. Trailing no problem, its part of the game, the wondering part is is there a blood trail to follow. I"ve bowhunted since high school and over 100 bow kills so following a trail isn't a big deal depending on trail.

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience is that a 240 smk will tumble making more of a "gash" than a "hole". You know from bow hunting taking out both lungs will kill the deer, but the trail could be spotty. I think part of the trailing issue will come down to angle of shot. A relativly flat pass through (shooting from the ground at a deer straight in front of you) might leave little blood. A steeper angle (sooting from an elevated position at a deer below you) may leave more blood on the off side.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Shouldn't be unlike following the ones I've shot with an MZ then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't shot anything with mine except paper and steel (yet), but I'm loving it. It loves the Remington 220gr OTM Subsonic ammo and will easily keep them inside 2" at 100 yards.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by clark98ut; 10/16/12.
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Barrel brand? Did Rex ever get to shoot your cans? I think he was so sold by conversation that he just went and ordered his regardless. I have not done same YET... have to wait till the new year to do that....

Don't know Albert Pina by chance?
Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 78 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,902
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.