Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mtech Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Shot the M70 Classic SS .375 H&H today with the factory plastic stock and got vertical stringing in my groups. I pulled the action and it had the infamous glue gun factory bedding. I pulled the rubbery crap out and bedded it with acraglass. If it still doesn't shoot, I might order a McMillan . What is the best choice for the Winchester .375 H&H barrel profile?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Echols Legend.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
mtech Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks, I'll check it out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem.You have to get them from D'Arcy Echols...I don't have a link but he is easy to find in Utah.... smile

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I went back and forth between the Legend and the Express and ordered the Express from Rick for my M70 416. Should arrive for Christmas. Do note that the Legend will need the barrel recoil lug mortise machined, the barrel channel worked to fit the barrel and the ejection port and bolt cut made. Of course LOP may need to be cut too. Not a big deal but something to be aware of. The Express will essentially be a drop in (an action bed recommended) with clearance provided behind the barrel lug. Both Echols and McM recommended to not utilize the barrel lug (do not bed it) and float the barrel.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ed I did not know that about the Express....but I have fired the Legend in various calibers and love the way it manages recoil. smile

Good to have choices.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bob, I came darn close on the Legend but wanted to do the install myself which would have been tough given my limited time home. Also, I would have had to send it out for painting. I hope mine awaits me when I head home for Christmas.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah I can see how the Express would be easier to work with....I wouldn't attempt the install on a Legend. eek

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I went with a supergrade, mainly because I got a smoking deal on it. Recoil is fine. What I really like is how the stock works great for using both open sights and a scope. If I could change anything, it would be the squarish forend, rounder wouldn't hurt.

BTW, I had the same problem with mine in its original stock. I meant to rebed it, but found the MCM instead. Let us know how the bedding goes.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I went with a supergrade swirly and glad I did as the stock fit me great which handled the recoil real well.

[Linked Image]

I went with another supergrade after I got the swirly, but in EDGE fill when my 300 RUM was being put together.

Great stock.

IC B3

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Nothing comes close to the lines and the ergos of the Legend for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But I am perfectly able to cut the bolt handle mortice, ejection port, etc. myself. I had to change the tang for this cloverleaf style and different bolt release tab. I am much more fearless working in fiberglass than in walnut.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Legend is made by McM for D'Arcy to his specs. I do like the shape and ergonomics. They come inletted for the older New Haven two piece bottom metal and require a good bit of inletting for the new SC type, one piece bottom metal. One will have to fit the recoil pad, cutting the stock to length. The barrel channel will need to be inletted, as well as cutting the bolt slot, etc.

The McM Express comes with most of that stuff already done. So, McM may be a better buy, dollar for dollar, especially thru Rick here at the Fire.

All that said, I have a Legend on order from D'Arcy for my SS .375 H&H M-70 Express. I do all that stuff myself, so I can justify the cost. I don't charge myself for the work.. laugh

IMHO,

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer the feel of the HCR Bridges stock. D'Arcy Echol's stock is a close second. I have one wrapped around my M70 .458WM.

M
mtech Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Bearstalker,
That stock looks great! Is the cheekpiece very thick? I don't like a thick cheekpiece like the current Safari Expresses have.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I, too, would like to hear how well the irons can be seen with the Classic. I also would like to know if the McM Safari/Express are more conducive to irons than the Classic.

I talked to D'Arcy Echols about the Legend. He said it was made for scopes but did OK with irons.

It would be great to have the three, the Legend, the McM Classic and Express, all side by side to check out iron sights.

If anyone has done that, let us know.

DF

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would not want to use a Legend with irons. It is awfully straight for that.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by utah708
I would not want to use a Legend with irons. It is awfully straight for that.

Thanks for the update.

My M-70 Express now has the factory Tupperware. I may just stay with that because of the irons.

How about the McM Classic and irons? It looks pretty straight, too. I'm wondering it it's straighter than the Tupperware.

And then the McM Express/Safari. Seems they may be more set up for irons. Just not sure.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708
Nothing comes close to the lines and the ergos of the Legend for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But I am perfectly able to cut the bolt handle mortice, ejection port, etc. myself. I had to change the tang for this cloverleaf style and different bolt release tab. I am much more fearless working in fiberglass than in walnut.

[Linked Image]

Looks good brother. How do you like the Minox ZA 5? I was considering buying the 2-10x40 in the classifieds....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
They seem like a very fine scope. I have been trying to come up with a rationale to buy that same one (in the classifieds) as it is a great value.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, I'm surprised it's lasted the day....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (257 roberts, 160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,092
Posts18,482,970
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.