Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Awhile back I asked for suggestions on what would make for a good first time hunt, and the overwhelming response was DIY WY antelope. My brother (also a first time hunter) and I decided to go for it. I flew out from CA, he flew out from MN. We hunted units 27 and 29 in the Thunder Basin area, and also had whitetail tags for deer unit 10 (also Thunder Basin area).

We were welcomed by sunny weather and open roads.

[Linked Image]

The antelope herd was thin, due to a tough winter in 2011 and a very dry summer. We put in 15-17 hour long days and had many fun chases! The first morning we saw this buck, in a little square of private land.

[Linked Image]

We hunted the second week of the season on public land, and the pronghorn were very much on edge. With their 8x vision they would often spot us from 2 miles away and then turn tail and run. It was incredible and we had to up our game to get a sneak on. This was the "you're busted!" look.

[Linked Image]
On the first day my brother spotted a small herd in a basin beyond a berm, in my unit. I snuck behind and crawled up and had a near perfect bench rest (rocks) style setup and made a 216 yard shot with my 1955 Winchester M70 Super Grade 30/06. The 180 grain TSX did its job and I got my first kill. This was just before sunset and so my first field dressing was done in the dark using a headlamp. I used the gutless method after having watched videos on the net. My brother is an emergency vet and was talking anatomy as we went to work. I hit her left lung and exited her opposing quarter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/IMG_2309.jpg[/img]
The next day was a wash. We experienced weather from 20 F to 80 F, and wind from zero to 40 mph. The animals seemed to be hiding out and I only spotted a tiny fawn at 78 yards, which I left alone. My brother's unit was particularly difficult with a small number of animals which were usually miles away.

The following day we saw an incredible sunrise.

[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/IMG_2324.jpg[/img]

And later in the day, I got my first buck. I spotted him against a large hill a few miles away, with a herd of does. He started tracking away, eating and ambling along, as I raced along the backside of a ridge to try to head him off. I'd occasionally sneak a look and then quickly duck down. It was a cat and mouse game for about 45 minutes before I had a small opportunity to shoot. I was on the backside of a declining hill, and shot in sitting position while using my sling. I connected at 326 yards with my 257 Weatherby. It was a 1 shot DRT bang flop. The 100 grain Spire Point broke its neck. He's a 12 1/2-13", 6" base, and I thought he looked pretty darn cool!

[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/buck.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss275/ebm1973/IMG_2404.jpg[/img]

GB1

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The next day we made chili out of him.

[Linked Image]

We spent days focusing hard on my brother's unit, to no avail. He had a few shot opportunities but the wind was howling and the animals were often just outside of practical range or were not offering a good shot. The terrain in his unit also seemed more broken up.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We thought we'd turn our attention to whitetail, and hunted the Cheyenne River. We saw 2 muley bucks and about 60 does. They were everywhere. But no whitetails.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'm now fully addicted and planning my next hunt. I may even try to catch some of the CA deer late season. I'd like to thank the innumerable folks on the fire for their collective wisdom and encouragement, and especially would like to give a special shout out to Oregonmuley (Frank) who answered many dumb questions and helped make this trip possible.

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well done Eric! Congrats on your first hunt in Wyoming. Glad it was fun and successful for you!And with that wonderful old Super Grade too!

Good for you not letting it become a safe queen!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats on a great hunt and time spent with your brother!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Looks like a good time.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice! Welcome to the fold. Now you can spend all your time and $$ planning for the next 360 days....Great job!

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on a great hunt!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
congradulations on a fun first hunt!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good story, and thanks for the pics. Looks like a fun trip!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big congrats! Great pics and stories. The memories will only get sweeter with time.

Just gonna warn you now, it's an addiction that is more than fun to feed... laugh

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome post Eric - you guys did well and it appears you had a great time so thats all you can ask for!! Really nice pictures - oh and glad to help create another antelope addict:)
Congrats again!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
All I can say is, WOW! That's a great hunt for anyone, but its an amazing first hunt, especially for DIY job.

NRA Benefactor Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Made my day to read this. Thanks for the post!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats! You are hooked my friend!!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eric,

Excellent post! I love antelope hunting, but haven't been able to draw the last 2 years do to declining antelope numbers here in Montana. It seems that all the "know it alls" poo-poo antelope, yet they are the best eating game animal you will get.

Nothing like antelope hunting in October...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Congrats Eric! Looks like a great time. Wyoming is an amazing place.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well done Eric! Great story and pictures...thanks for sharing.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great story and thank you a bunch for sharing it with us.

You had a great hunt and a heckova rifle to start out with. Congrats.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome to the club! Looks like you did it right. What are your going to do next?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everyone! grin

I had to bring the Super Grade out! I have no safe queens. I think I could do most anything I would need to do in North America with that rifle. It likes to shoot 180 gr. Barnex TSX, which is overkill for pronghorn but is accurate in that rifle.

My brother was using a Savage in 270 Win shooting 130 grain rounds.

I was also really impressed by the kind folks in WY - from the rancher whose cabin we rented, to the processor, the airline workers in Casper, the gun range we used to sight in (outside of Casper), etc. We also had a car issue the night before the flight home (nearly new Ford Expedition triggered its anti-theft system and killed the engine while we were driving on the freeway, and then would not start) and probably had 12+ cars and trucks stop to ask if we needed help. There's no way you would get that in Southern CA.

I have a deer tag for San Diego County and while the success rate for this unit is around 12%, I think I'll get out there. For next year... it would be fun to go back for more pronghorn, and mule deer (!). Elk would also be very cool but I realize that's a whole new ballgame.

Eric

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,798
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.