Print Thread
Hop To
G
gotcha Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Can anyone give me some info on the 30RCM LGS has a SS & synthetic Ruger hawk eye available and am curious about this round? Am I wasting my time and should I just look at a 30-06 or 300win?
I do reload so future ammunition should not be a problem even though it may not be available everywhere over the counter. My go to rifle is chambered in 6.5x55 this would be my second.
The rifle Seemed to handle nice and had Iron sights a plus+.
(Use would be for bear deer)
Thanks
Carl

Last edited by gotcha; 10/15/12.
HR IC

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Its not a very popular case, so I would stock some brass for it if you go for it.

As a reloader its just slightly more than a 30.06, less than the 300 WSM or SAUM.

I don't have the 300 but I do have a 338RCM, its really a nice case, feeds slicker than my WSMs or SAUM. It might have been more popular if it had been first, not seven years behind the saums/WSMs

Unless the rifle is a very good deal, you can get practically the same performance from a 30.06 and the brass will cost less and you will have more choice in brass/dies.

If the rifle is the RCM rifle, the rifle it self is a good reason to buy it. not to many CRF, 20" carbines with iron sights around. if thats what floats your boat.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
G
gotcha Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
noknees thank you
What I was looking for was a shorter easy handling rifle. With iron sights only drawback was the synthetic stock, I would prefer wood,
the rifle was 550.00 otd

Last edited by gotcha; 10/15/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What's a "30rcm"??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
gotcha Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
300 rcm (Typo)? rugers compact magnum

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Carl,

I bought one when they were introduced, and I continue to like it fine. I did put in a SpecTech trigger because I know the guys who builds them. wink

What you will have is a compact rifle with the ballistics of the original .300 H&H.

Mine is blue and walnut, but I like that in a rifle.

jim

I forgot to add that I have a .375 Ruger AFrican already, so they were about a matched set.

Last edited by HunterJim; 10/17/12. Reason: add info

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by noKnees
I don't have the 300 but I do have a 338RCM, its really a nice case, feeds slicker than my WSMs or SAUM.

I just shot my first elk with my 338RCM and had all kinds of feeding problems and ejection problem on the 1st and second rounds. The gun was dry for sure but even now, lubricated, still feeds funny and scratches the brass, and I have to rack the bolt as if I am tearing it out of the gun to make it eject consistently. Did you polish yours in the feeding ramp / left side of magazine box area? This is what I am intending to do. Polishing the feed ramp in my .45 (as unrelated as that is) improved feeding dramatically and eliminated the infrequent stovepiping.
P.S. But, otherwise I really love the RCM for its diminutive size of the gun combined with the plenty of power for elk or moose. I think the uniqueness of the RCM is in the gun, not the caliber: you do not match the full size magnum velocities, no matter what the ads say, but you get a 40" gun, fully serviceable all the way out to 300 yards. And I preferred the 338RCM as being in even more unique niche, there is no other 338 (338 Federal perhaps, but that is quite a bit smaller) in the 338-06 category that would be packaged in such a handy rifle to boot.

Last edited by PaulDaisy; 10/17/12.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Mine is factory, at least as far as feeding goes, I have checked the feeding with 200 hor SP, 225 Hor SP and 210 NP, very good with all.

I also have 2 Ruger MKII 300wsms and a 7 SAUM as well as the 338 RCM. I have shot the 300WSM extensively (I am on the second barrel) and perhaps 200 rounds from the 7 SAUM. The second WSM is donor material. All 4 of the rifles feed reliably for me without modification, but it takes less effort to cycle the RCM, I suspect because the smaller case diameter.

It seems like something is up with yours, I hope you get it figured out.

I agree with the nice packaging of the RCM rifle. Its a compact little powerhouse. Mine is in a Mickey now and has a timney trigger. It shoots Nosler 210's into .75 to 1" 4 shot groups. Its got Moose rifle written all over it, Maybe I will get a tag next year.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree, I will look closely into mine. The 4th cartridge, feeding from the left, goes up at too steep an angle to clear the left of the mag box (or the mag box wall is too curved, or has a burr?). I will study it closely tonight, I won't live with this issue.
Mine shoots very well too, I only tried one load in it with a 225 gr TTSX. I like ball powders with these long bullets and W760 didn't disappoint, I get 1" groups routinely with them.
I think the 20" barrel Hawkeye might be the quintessential medium range rifle that doubles as a dark timber gun.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
No feeding problems with my .338 RCM. Had to bed the stock to get it to shoot reliably, though.

My son had a 7mm SAUM that didn't want to reliably feed the third round.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy

I think the 20" barrel Hawkeye might be the quintessential medium range rifle that doubles as a dark timber gun.

I agree! They're still listed on the web site, but is it just for clearance? I hope that Ruger doesn't give up on them too soon,
like Remington did with the SAUMs

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Originally Posted by PaulDaisy

I agree! They're still listed on the web site, but is it just for clearance? I hope that Ruger doesn't give up on them too soon,
like Remington did with the SAUMs

I agree. Haven't shot anything with mine but it sure is a sweet setup to hunt with!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think it is a well designed cartridge, and I like the rifle, but here are some pros and cons, btw, I'd like to have one myself:

300 RCM
Pros:

Comes in a nice rifle

Can approximate 300 Mag performance with careful handloading

Lighter than a 300 Win Mag in the same rifle

Better cartridge design than other short mags for easier feeding and extraction

Cons:
Brass is really expensive and you'd have to stock up

Only one manufacturer of brass

30-06 and 300 Win Mag brass is cheaper and available everywhere
Way better rifle selection in 30-06 or 300 Win Mag

Is a little faster than the '06, but not equal to the 300 Winchester Mag

You can find '06 and 300 Win Mag factory ammo everywhere, you'd have to stock up on factory ammo if you wanted it

300 WSM does everything it can and brass is readily available from multiple manufacturers

300 WSM rifle selection is also way better

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,947 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,533
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.