Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Huh......But have you ever been given a rifle? I'm trying to conceptualize such doings and I might have a difficult time.

the last potlatch I attended I was indeed given a rifle, and beaded gloves and a bead choker. I was a pallbearer for my wife's grandmother, by their customs blood relatives are not to touch or handle the deceased. Also by custom, they use NO machinery to dig their graves nor is a blood relative supposed to help in the grave digging.

soooo, me and a couple of Indian boys half my age, hand dug grandma's little grave in the cemetery. 5.5 feet till we hit permafrost.

when the grave is filled in, the funeral party takes turns with the shovels putting dirt over the deceased.

here's a pic of my little guy taking his turn covering his beloved great grandma

they purchase new shovels and pulaskis for the event and those are then gifted, I also received the pulaski we used to chop roots and keep the sides of the grave even.

[Linked Image]

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by pabucktail
What's the deal with how many .30-30s you have? I don't get it.

That would be an inside joke, of sorts. A cultural thing, as the .30-30 is or has been the big game rifle of choice for Athabaskans for about the last century.

A (white) friend tells a truely hilarious story, with himself as butt, where he was conned into shooting over a dozen caribou with his "big rifle" (a 300 Win Mag) in early winter when he, as Teacher in a one-room, grade 1-8 school, was the lone white man in a remote village several decades ago.

I've related it before, but in short, the Chief organized the whole village of 300 or so into turning out for a caribou hunt on the willow-clad river bank as the migration started coming thru. Closed down the school by pulling all the kids out so they could help pack meat("big kid, big piece of meat- little kid,little piece of meat") with this vital need. So as not to lose an official day of school, Gaylen suggested he go along and conduct an autopsy on a caribou, as a "field lesson" for the kids. The chief agreed, "Good Idea, Teacher."

As an "after-thought" as the last bundled up kid left the school, the Chief invited Gaylen to bring his "big gun", along. ("Maybe you shoot caribou too."), then, out on the river-side hunt site, offered Gaylen "first shot" - about 15 times as he pointed out which 'bou he wanted shot as a big herd streamed through, with Gaylen firing and reloading as fast as he could.

All the village men were down there on the edge of the willows clutching their .30-30s, the women and kids back in the willows out of the wind and sight, with fires and hot tea, waiting to help butcher and pack meat. But no one else had fired a shot.

Turned out (with later discrete investigation) Gaylen had the only ammunition in town.

Years later, Gaylen had a random encounter with the Chief in Anchorage, where the Chief admitted "That was pretty good, huh?" and "Hell, no, kids big damned pain, but I knew if I left you even one kid, you wouldn't come hunt!"

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sounds like the Chief proved out the old saying..�Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill�.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
That's funny. I like the appreciation of the .30-30. What bullet weight is the most popular in those parts? I once brought ammo out for some guys in western alaska, their rounds of choice were .17 HMR for seals and .22-250 for caribou and wolves.

Thanks for the pic and info 2legit.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
2legit,

thanks for sharing. I have only lived in KY and PA. But, have visited maybe half of the states. Always intrigued by the differences in cultures and customs across various geographic locations. Even tho we all nominally live in the same "country"...

Warren

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 3,005 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,042
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.