Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

I would rather eat elk deer moose over beef any day.

Me too. Especially when ya concider todays beef industry. But with all the spices, I really can't tell that much difference tastewise. Course, no two batches ever come out exactly the same anyway, do they?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I think adding chocolate to chilli is a Mexican thing. They make a mole or poblano sauce that uses chocolate. Damned good too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may be right but Chili as we know it is not a Mexican deal exactly. If you go anywhere off the border down in Mexico and order some chili you ain't going to get a good old "bowl of red". They have no freaking idea what chili is other than peppers and they don't even spell it right. Call it chile grin Chile con carne is just a bowl of chopped up pepper with some meat thrown in to them.

Real chili is a very simple dish of meat, onions, garlic, tomatos and spices in varing proportions. You see a recipe with a whole list of exotic ingredients call it what you want but it ain't chili.

Quando Omni Moritati
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
A bit of chocalate might work for you. I have made a red chili with Mole, it was ok for the occasional I want something different mood, but it wasn't my favorite by any means.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh the heck with chili anyway.....pozole is better! grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger

Real chili is a very simple dish of meat, onions, garlic, tomatos and spices in varing proportions. You see a recipe with a whole list of exotic ingredients call it what you want but it ain't chili.

Agreed!!!
Although some would argue the tomatoes.
I make it with and without tomatoes and like em both.
I like the tomatoe version with plain ol white rice, but I'll eat rice with just about any thing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
""but there's nothing "sweet" about bakers chocolate"".......But as a kid "i put the sneak" on mom's "bakers chocolate" stash grin !!! ....just took a big hunk threw it in my mouth and ate it/while making a run for it to boot... the kind with no,none,not a drop of sugar sick....bout broke me from sucking egg rite ther i tell u.......

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I add a quarter teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder to about a pound of my beanless hotdog chile and it "rounds out the flavor" qute a bit. The first time I tried it I ate four beef hotdogs and although full I had a hard time stopping. Haven't added any to our red chile yet. Different chile though. For dog chile, a bit is all you need. It adds a browned flavor sort of. Easy on it, little by little. Taste as you go and stop when it tastes decent. Too much isn't good. It tastes nothing like chocolate. I wouldn't recommend bakers chocolate, different animal so to speak.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
[quote=Boggy Creek Ranger]

I make it with and without tomatoes and like em both.
Couldn't do chili without tangy tomato sauce and sirloin. I ordered chicken chile at a restaurant once and it looked white. Didn't even try it. To each his own.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by custombolt
It tastes nothing like chocolate. I wouldn't recommend bakers chocolate, different animal so to speak.

"Bakers" is the brand name. They make semi-sweet and unsweetened. The unsweetened is no different than the powdered stuff you use. Matter of fact I had to grate it first (which was a pita). It's so dry, grating it just turned it into powder anyway.
Like atvalaska said, the "semi-sweet" is about like dark chockolet and quite good.
Don't matter cause I won't be using it again reguardless of which form it comes in.

One things sure though. Chili's as controversial as barrel break-in around here.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Chocolate in chili?

No way.

Sounds like some limp wristed homo came up with that idea.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Spoken like a real Douche.

Go crap in someone elses thread tuff guy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Real chili has beans in it! laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by eh76
Real chili has beans in it! laugh

lot's of young men in my community thinks chili has to have so much hot pepper (chili?) in it to require a large consumption of beer to keep cooled down.

without the chili being hot, what'd it be good for?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by sse
Didn't know there were so many chili snobs around here...LOL

Tongue-in-cheek or have you missed a lot of the chili threads?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Spoken like a real Douche.

Go crap in someone elses thread tuff guy.

OK.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 10/22/12.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by sse
Didn't know there were so many chili snobs around here...LOL

Tongue-in-cheek or have you missed a lot of the chili threads?

I don't remember a lot of chili wars around here. Isn't it supposed to taste like vegetable soup? LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It tastes nothing like chocolate. I wouldn't recommend bakers chocolate, different animal so to speak.

"Bakers" is the brand name. They make semi-sweet and unsweetened. The unsweetened is no different than the powdered stuff you use. Matter of fact I had to grate it first (which was a pita). It's so dry, grating it just turned it into powder anyway.
Like atvalaska said, the "semi-sweet" is about like dark chockolet and quite good.
Don't matter cause I won't be using it again reguardless of which form it comes in.

One things sure though. Chili's as controversial as barrel break-in around here.
I thought is was generic bakers'. I stand corrected. Wife does the baking. So..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I thought is was generic bakers'. I stand corrected. Wife does the baking. So..

Yea,,, I think it is used as a generic term sometimes too cause "Bakers" brand makes semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolate. Nestles however makes "semi-sweet bakers chocolete" and "unsweetened bakers chocolate"... Very confusing. I definatly did some head scratching in the cake-mix isle. Best to let your wife continue to do the baking. wink

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jpb
John -- who is aware that there will be few here with the memory which will let them figure out what the hell I am writing about... smile

Tell tale signs of margarine denial...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (264mag, 673, 44automag, 7mm_Loco, AB2506, 450yukon, 17 invisible), 1,154 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,881
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.