Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought one at a garage sale (type 99 / 7.7) in NY back in the mid 70's for $20 if memory serves. It was "sporterized" when a previous owner cut the full length stock down by 1/2. It DID come with the bakelite (?) muzzle cover, and I think that's worth about as much as the rifle, and it has the (still comical to me) aircraft sight with the two arms that unfold to the sides for "leading" a plane.
I've shot Norma factory ammo, and a few hand loads (can't remember the recipe off the top of my head), but I remember accuracy being "minute of pie plate" @ 100 yards.
I like the angled bolt in the pic, as the "straight out" orig. bolt handle that rotates straight up 90 degrees is not what I'd consider good for sporting use. I realize that's not what the weapon was designed for.

Off topic, but I also paid $15 for a 3rd generation Burnside carbine at the same garage sale (boy, do I miss those days), so I got 2 guns for $35 bucks. I still think that was one of my best finds. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hawkins
The Arisaka has a god-awful safety for a sporter and there is nothing to be done for it.
Most 30/06's will not chamber an 8x57. If they do it is
the lack of neck clearence not headspace that causes the
trouble.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=42198/Product/Timney-Arisaka-7-7-Trigger-W-Safety
https://timneytriggers.com/timneystore/index.php?l=product_detail&p=27

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by reelman
They are hideous looking.

Yep they are that....

Arisaka beauty was discussed on this forum in 2008. Here's a link to the thread:
A challeng to Wolfe Publications

In the last third of that thread, forum member riceone posted some photos of his reworked Arisaka Paratroop Type 2. I don't think he will mind if I post one of those photos here. While beauty vs ugly is a problem in esthetics, most agreed in 2008 that this was a pretty nice looking rifle. Check the link for other photos.
--Bob
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's definitely high quality workmanship. Too bad it ruined a very rare and highly collectible Type 99 Paratrooper Rifle.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by timbo762
That's definitely high quality workmanship. Too bad it ruined a very rare and highly collectible Type 99 Paratrooper Rifle.

True but it was probably sporterized initially back in the '50s when few thought of any Japanese rifle as rare and highly collectible.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nsaqam

True but it was probably sporterized initially back in the '50s when few thought of any Japanese rifle as rare and highly collectible.

very true.....M1917's seem to only have gotten collectable and worth something recently as people looked around and realized how few are left after so many were messed with....i like dinking around with military sporters but i buy rifles someone else has already cut on and dont have the heart to chop up one in original condition...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The sale rack at my club had a sporterized 7.7 for sale last year. This one had a Mauser-style wing safety, an aftermarket receiver sight, and a decent walnut stock.

My local gunsmith said a lot of the 7.7s were rechambered to .30-06 by US armorers and issued to the South Koreans. Accuracy wasn't great with .308 bullets, but this was a way to arm the ROKs quickly with rifles that would use US surplus ammo. The ROKs got Garands etc when we went to .308s and .223s.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by nsaqam

very true.....M1917's seem to only have gotten collectable and worth something recently as people looked around and realized how few are left after so many were messed with....i like dinking around with military sporters but i buy rifles someone else has already cut on and dont have the heart to chop up one in original condition...

Amen!

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Patrick_James

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I guess fugly is in the eye of the beholder but that looks better to me than a Savage.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a 6.5 Ari some years ago that had been made into a Mannlicher-style rifle, and it certainly was a handy little rifle. The prewar 6.5's were definitely well made actions. Now the 7.7's - especially the ones made during the late stages of the war, could be suspect, and I'd tread carefully.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, nsaqam, I'm afraid I was one of those doing some of the hacking on a Springfield and a couple of Mausers, but a little later in the 60's and 70's. I did see my Springfield at a gun show years after I sold it with a tag on it that miss identified it as a G&H. crazy I don't feel too bad about that one and I will quickly admit that I had some close supervision from a brother that used to be a gunsmith at Pachmayr's. I got to agree that some dumb stuff was done during that time.

I would love to see a chamber cast of that Arisaka though. When the round was loaded it had to have pushed the bullet back down in the case. No telling what the pressures were like when he touched that thing off.

Harry
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Those Arisaka chambers are really oversized for 30/06 brass.
You will note that all of the sporters shown had the scopes
mounted high so the safety could be used.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I forgot to add that my Arisaka 6.5 Roberts is a type 30 (Ring safety). If anything the ring is worse than the turret on a
sporter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have seen the mention on another occasion of a 6.5 Arisaka being re chambered to 30/06 and it still seems to me to be something that would be difficult to do accidentally. The pilot on the reamer would be 30 caliber and not enter the 6.5mm bore. I don't doubt that an Arisaka action is strong (even if ugly), but I doubt that this conversion mentioned above took place by accident.

Exactly.....I'd hoist the BS flag on this story.

As to the story about the Arisaka action being so strong.....It stems from experiments by P O Ackley.....and that alone discredits the credibility of the work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are the actions for the 6.5 and the 7.7 the same, or is there two different actions for 2 separate cartridges?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Basically the same but the Type 99 for the 7.7 Japanese has many features which were incorporated to reduce production time and cost.

Some of the things done include a flat sided extractor rather than contoured, a stamped rather than forged TG and FP, a slotted left lug rather than the solid lug on the Type 38, much less hand fitting and polishing, and less extensive heat treatment.

The Type 38 is an extremely well made and finished military rifle.
The Type 99 is an adequate military rifle but pales in comparison to the Type 38.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Always wondered why the 6.5 had a better reputation than the 7.7.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The actions were the same, but the Type 99 had a shorter barrel than the Type 38. Type 99's also had fold out anti aircraft sights. Early 99's had a sheet metal sliding dust cover over the action (usually discarded by troops in the field) and a fold down monopod under the forearm.

Last edited by timbo762; 10/16/12.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The actions were the same, but the Type 99 had a shorter barrel than the Type 38. Type 99's also had fold out anti aircraft sights. Early 99's had a sheet metal sliding dust cover over the action (usually discarded by troops in the field) and a fold down monopod under the forearm.

Basically the same but with the changes I enumerated above.
Type 38's were also issued with dust covers as well as 99's.
Not all 99's have anti aircraft sights either.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 58 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,550
Posts18,472,964
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.