Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think some of you are missing the point of ctsmith's original question. His scope suffered no damage or ill effects from recoil or rough handling. The point of impact changed, but the size of the groups were still small and after re-zeroing all was fine. Nothing inside the scope is "loose" or it wouldn't continue to shoot small groups. And it's got nothing to do with the fact it's a variable power scope either. Fixed power scopes are more reliable because they have fewer parts. With any device, fewer parts equals better reliability. The reticle adjusting mechanism on a fixed power is no more rugged than on a variable and can still have a shift in POI without suffering any "real" damage to the scope.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had an intermittant POI shift on a hard kicker (300 Jarrett)that ended up being the base (Talley) screws being just enough too long to not torque the base to the action fully/properly, yet didn't bottom out enough for the base to feel loose. Under recoil was the only time it would shift an inch, or so, randomly.

The wizard Karnis identified the issue and proceeded to grind off a thread or two. It settled down & remained consistant thereafter.

Your screws may have stretched from torque, over time/recoil, so it's something to check before sending in the scope.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Formidilosus, you bring up a good point, which begs the question, what options do we have for a scope that withstands hard use and is suitable in size/weight for a hunting rig?

Regarding the fixed power scopes, I regularly hear praise. However, my experience has forever scarred my thinking. The first scope I ever had break was a Leup fixed six. It happened shooting a light weight 338-06 at the range. A shot didn't hit paper and I started inspecting the rifle. It didn't take long to figure out, the scope sounded like a child's rattle toy. It should be noted that it was my first, and only, fixed power scope. First impressions are hard to break.

I get to see a few more rounds fired and the scopes used therein than the average bear in a year, and with variables the only ones I find suitably durable and reliable (with adjustments that work) are few and far between. For normal hunting rifles The Nightforce 2.5-10x32 and the SWFA SS 3-9x42mm are about it. The NightForce is about $1,300 and the SWFA 3-9x42 is under $600. Both weigh at or near 20 ounces. The weight doesn't bother me as there is no question whether they will work, stay zeroed, track reliably, or last.

That's not to say I don't have and use other variable scopes (I have this sick obsession with killing scopes... grin) and one of my most used rifles has a Leupold 3-9x40mm VX1 with M1 turrets. It works and tracks, however I expect it to go anytime and will replace it when it does. Anymore when I buy scopes for normal hunting rifles they are either the 2.5-10x32 NF, 3-9x42 SWFA SS, or Leupold fixed power scopes.

4 to 5 more ounces is but a small price to pay for knowing your kit will just work.

timbo762,

There is zero doubt in my experience that fixed power scopes have less issues with being knocked out of adjustment than variables. The only issues I have seen with Leupold fixed 6's is when people put the scope ring in the wrong location and crank down.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I get to see a few more rounds fired and the scopes used therein than the average bear in a year, and with variables the only ones I find suitably durable and reliable (with adjustments that work) are few and far between. For normal hunting rifles The Nightforce 2.5-10x32 and the SWFA SS 3-9x42mm are about it. The NightForce is about $1,300 and the SWFA 3-9x42 is under $600. Both weigh at or near 20 ounces. The weight doesn't bother me as there is no question whether they will work, stay zeroed, track reliably, or last.

That's not to say I don't have and use other variable scopes (I have this sick obsession with killing scopes... grin) and one of my most used rifles has a Leupold 3-9x40mm VX1 with M1 turrets. It works and tracks, however I expect it to go anytime and will replace it when it does. Anymore when I buy scopes for normal hunting rifles they are either the 2.5-10x32 NF, 3-9x42 SWFA SS, or Leupold fixed power scopes.

4 to 5 more ounces is but a small price to pay for knowing your kit will just work.

timbo762,

There is zero doubt in my experience that fixed power scopes have less issues with being knocked out of adjustment than variables. The only issues I have seen with Leupold fixed 6's is when people put the scope ring in the wrong location and crank down.

Formidilosus,

Given that the fixed powers more robust than variables, you've got me considering the SWFA SS 6x42 mil/mi. Your thoughts?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Those scopes will probably outlast all of us. For $300 nothing can touch it for reliability and durability.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm thinking so. For $300 it's worth it in the name of experimentation...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The only reason I don't use the fixed power SWFA's more is because the 3-9x42's are so good.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
More to ponder... Thanks... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm about ready to start replacing my Leupolds with 3-9 or 6x SWFAs for hunting. I'm extremely impressed with the 10x I use on my .308.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Rem 700 action
Talley LW
Leup 3.5-10x40 with M1's

This is a consistently accurate rifle (308 with #4 Krieger) and the scope has been reliable for many years.

Yesterday I was putting the rifle through the paces in preparation for hunting season. I started at 300 yards and shot a 5 shot group less than .75 MOA. Zero was perfect as it always has been, I've never had to re-adjust the scope. I wanted to shoot out to 600 yards and had to relocate to another range. There were several rifles tagging along and this rifle was laid in the back seat floorboard. Its usually a short, smooth ride but farm equipment had tore up the road and it was very rough. I assume the rifle was bouncing around significantly in the floor. There was a rub mark on the scope where it was in contact with the seat frame (wiped off, did not permanently mar scope).

I first shoot a 450 yard target and its a clean miss; shoot again and another clean miss. Neither were even close. Move to 100 yards and it hits nearly 6" off. Adjust scope, next shot drills the center out of the target. Its really to dark to shoot but I let three rounds fly at the 450 yard steel, all direct hits. Shot three 300 yard groups this morning and all were under .75 MOA and perfect zero (one group was actually .22 MOA).

The scope appears to be functioning appropriately.

The Talley LW ring screws were properly torqued when installed and were not loose. The rings do not appear to have any stress fractures. Based on the crosshair alignment it doesn't appear as if the scope slipped in the rings. I am assuming whatever moved was inside the scope.

Question: What caused the zero to change and should there be concern of future failure?

Had the exact same thing happen with my 308, this one with a Leupy 2.5-8. Had her dialed in for hunting season, took her to our farm to check out drop on longer range shots, in the back of our rubber lined pickup truck bed and was way way high and off to the right. Couldn't hit a jug at 165 yards - made my decision to go with the 284 win an easy one.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Tanner,

Thanks for jumping in. I was about to shoot you a PM asking your opinion on the SS.

John

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
And the answer is: Fixed Power Leupolds for hunting rifles where weight is a concern.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Formid/MD, etc, a random question or two. This is out of ignorance, as I'm not a paper puncher type except to develop or verify new loads. Considering your average run of the mill variable hunting scopes, i.e. Conquest 3-9x40/3.5-10x44, VX3 3-10x40/4.5-14x40, Swaro A/z3 3-10x42, etc, have you any data/round counts, etc as to how long these generally last at your shoots before you see problems? I think we'd all admit these aren't generally thought of as competition or sniper school high round count setups as the NF is. I guess what I'm wondering if your data shows that the average hunter, who shoots maybe 20-50 rounds per year will ever wear one out. I know that's hard to answer, but you're bound know what you've experienced. Thanks, just curious.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/22/12.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
To piggyback on JG question, is what happened to my scope (jumping the spring) considered to be caused by wear? I am of the impression that it is not. I am of the impression that my scope is NOT in need of repair. The clicks still feel nice and firm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Tanner,

Thanks for jumping in. I was about to shoot you a PM asking your opinion on the SS.

John
I'm very much an amateur when it comes to all things rifles, scopes, loads, etc, but in my limited experience, the SS is an absolutely incredible value for the money they ask of them. Based on the clarity, tracking, durability, and RTZ I've seen from the one I'm using, there is nothing better for under 5-600 bucks. If they made a 3-10 that weighed under 15oz, I wouldn't own another scope.

Someday soon, I'm going to stick my 10x on a lightweight rifle and see how it feels, if only to see WTF. It might feel like a boat anchor on top, and it might not.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Regarding the SWFA SS, why does it have to be so ugly eek eek . I guess $600 makes it more attractive but I'm leaning toward fertilizing the money tree and holding out for the NF. Problem is, I want several.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CT, I hear you on that. If I had lots of money to build a custom hunting rifle with glass of my choice, it'd be a 2.5-10 Nightforce, undoubtedly. Seems like scopes can take an absolute pounding and still perform.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd rather have one rifle big game rifle (make mine a 308) properly put together than several rifles with less than reliable components. (not insinuating the SWFA SS is sub par, by all accounts, its a reliable scope. I'm just trying to convince myself to spring for a NF grin )

Regarding the 308, you may get marginal ballistic advantages with other calibers but for me it doesn't make up for the fact that the barrels last forever (can you shoot out a 308 barrel???), you can practice, practice, practice without worry of barrel life, Lapua 308 brass is possibly the most uniform brass ever produced, and a 308 is inherently accurate. But thats another thread!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed on all points! laugh My favorite rifle is quickly becoming my 700P .308, and if I can get my old load to start shooting correctly again, I'll see if I can touch some of your 100yd groups over on SH.com... grin

I'm starting to consider dragging it around for a day or two of a mule deer hunt, simply because of the fact that it puts bullets where they need to go, time after time. Only bummer is that it weighs 12lbs!

Plus... I've got 1400 178gr HPBTS to burn up.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
12 lbs in the hills???? Consider a gun bearer grin With unemployment rates so high, you should be able to get one cheap!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.