Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi Guys,

I just mounted a new scope on a new Tikka T3. Before going to the range tomorrow, I figured I would load the magazine with some live rounds and cycle the action to see how smooth and also to see if the rounds would eject properly.

I am used to a Model 70. So I was very surprised that the round stayed in the chamber and that I had to knock it out. The bolt/extractor did not grab the cartridge and eject it.

Is this normal? will the ejector only extract a round once it's fired?

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I figured it's best to ask here before taking the rifle to the range.
Thanks!

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the cartridge extract and not eject or did you get no extraction at all?

Factory cartridges or handloads?

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should be getting extraction unless the headspace is REALLY long.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I got no extration at all. None. I had to tilt the rifle up and let the cartridge slide out by itself. I was using factory ammo. I bought 3 different boxes to see which might be more accurate for tomorrow's range session. None of the ammo manufacturers' ammo will even extract.

Thoughts?

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either your extractor is stuck or damaged or your headspace is incredibly long.

Take the bolt out of the receiver and fit your casehead into it by hooking under the extractor and tilting the case to depress the plunger ejector. Try to move the casehead laterally around in the boltface recess and see if the extractor releases.

Try pushing the extractor back and forth to see if there is any sticking.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't even looked at a Tikka for a long time,but if I remember correctly the ejection port is small enough to prevent loading rounds from the top.If loaded rounds can't go in,how do they get out.Perhaps the newer ones are not set up that way anymore?The extraction problem I cannot help with I'm afraid,that one has me scratching my head too! Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 10/20/12.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try soaking it in MEK or carefully disassemble the extractor (inside a large gallon sized Ziploc to prevent springs and stuff from flying into the darkest corner of your house) and physically scrape the Loctite off.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That used to happen with mine(6.5 SE)I had a smith look at it he was suprised too.However it always ejected a spent round.I left it at that and never had any issue.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Monashee
I haven't even looked at a Tikka for a long time,but if I remember correctly the ejection port is small enough to prevent loading rounds from the top.If loaded rounds can't go in,how do they get out.Perhaps the newer ones are not set up that way anymore?The extraction problem I cannot help with I'm afraid,that one has me scratching my head too! Monashee

Pretty easy to load from the port, just make sure the pointy end is forward....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stupid question. You're not just pushing the cartridge in are you? You would have to cycle the bolt down for the extractor to grab it.. Sorry for the dumb question, just thinking here.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Stupid question. You're not just pushing the cartridge in are you? You would have to cycle the bolt down for the extractor to grab it.. Sorry for the dumb question, just thinking here.

I was thinkin the same.
Someone used to a CF might not realize you have to close the bolt completely for the extractor to grab the case rim.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Hi Guys,

I just mounted a new scope on a new Tikka T3. Before going to the range tomorrow, I figured I would load the magazine with some live rounds and cycle the action to see how smooth and also to see if the rounds would eject properly.

I am used to a Model 70. So I was very surprised that the round stayed in the chamber and that I had to knock it out. The bolt/extractor did not grab the cartridge and eject it.

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but I figured it's best to ask here before taking the rifle to the range.
Thanks!

Isn't the purpose of an ejector to spit out " fired cases" . How does it handle a fired case?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Hi Guys,

Thanks!

The rifle should easily extract and eject a live round....you could have a misfire while hunting and have to ditch the dud round in a hurry (hey, it happens!);or a round or chamber could be dirty/gunky,etc and not chamber...any host of reasons.

Don't know how the OP punched out the round that would not extract but I imagine a cleaning rod was used.

Just FYI but if the round required any more force than a light "push" with the cleaning rod,this is a bad practice.

Guys have actually been killed punching out a live round,stuck in the chamber,with a cleaning rod.They tapped on the rod...The round detonated in the chamber and they were killed or injured by the rod flying through them.This has been well documented by (IIRC) Bob Greenleaf in Precision Shooter magazine.It has happened more than once,so be careful with this stuff.

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/21/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My T3's eject rounds whether loaded or not. I'd try it again, making sure to fully close the bolt each time, and see what happens. If it doesn't work, it's probably time for a trip to Beretta.

Tom

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BobinNH, good info as usual. Thanks for sharing.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The extractor on the T3 is not very stiff, you can move it back and forth with your finger. Make sure it isn't stuck open due to debris underneath it.

Like was post prior, are you actually closing the bolt before trying to eject?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
KensJ, don't want any folks to get hurt! eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Completely close the bolt - the extractor grabs the cartridge as the bolt is closed. (obviously point rifle in safe direction).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My '06 slings them out even when S L O W L Y opening the bolt...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe nsaqam is onto something concerning the headspace. All the Tikkas that I have loaded for and still load for have alot of headspace. Everyone of them I have never been able to do a FL resize otherwise the extractor would not grab the case. However, I've never seen it done with multiple factory loads. Shoot a couple and see if they extract... just my .02 good luck. mmm

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,827
Posts18,496,576
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.