Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I've not had great luck in the past with Kimber's sporter weight rifles, but in all fairness I've not given them a real opportunity either. In spite of my previous experiences, they just feel to darn good for me to ignore. I keep going back.....

I recently purchased a new Montana in 243 Winchester. After some load development, I have three bullets shooting fairly well. The 80TTSX, 95 NBT and 90gr Speer Deep Curl are averaging about 1.25" at 100.

One trait I've noticed is horizontal stringing -- all bullets are virtually at the same elevation, but 1.0 to 1.5 strings. Not all groups do this, some are triangles. I realize these groups are perfectly acceptable for hunting. My goal is to tweak this rifle to realize its true potential.

The action is a little "loose" in the stock and I feel that could be contributing to the horizontal strings. I'm planning to skim bed the action myself. Any tips, pictures or advice from any of you that have done this to a Montana would be appreciated. I'm assuming the tang and the lug are the only areas of interest? I've never bedded a rifle myself. I've always paid somebody to complete this task, but I have no doubt I can do it.

This isn't a Kimber bashing thread. I'd like to utilize advice from those who have "been there, done that" to maximize the potential of this particular rifle.

One more thing -- anyone ever full length bedded a Montana?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM karnis. He can tell you everything you need to know.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And I'm pretty sure clark98ut full length bedded his 6mm rebarrel.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You could start by just bedding the lug area; that's pretty simple. Be sure to chip or sand off the gray paint on the inside... it's not something you want to stick bedding to. Also be sure to maintain the barrel float.

On a rifle that light I'm of the opinion that the trigger should be very light too FWIW.

Good luck!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
After messing with the Forbes rifle, the full length bedding has peaked my interest. That rifle was dang accurate and it shot 130's/150's to almost the same point of impact.

Karnis responded to my PM and he was very helpful. I'm going to start the project tonight.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
let us know how it works and what you do. I have a montana 270wsm that needs a little tweaking.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dremel some material from the lug area. Slap a teaspoon of bedding in there, sit the action in it and electrical tape the action to the stock. Done.

Tune the trigger down to 1.5 pounds while youre in there and you're good to go. smile

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I glassed my Montana a month ago with no improvement with a floated barrel the full length bed is next

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
After messing with the Forbes rifle, the full length bedding has peaked my interest. That rifle was dang accurate and it shot 130's/150's to almost the same point of impact.

Karnis responded to my PM and he was very helpful. I'm going to start the project tonight.

Yep. Let us know.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The action is back in the stock. I followed instructions provided by Karnis. I'm just bedding the receiver/lug/shank for now. We'll see how it turns out.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bedded a 300wsm, just the lug and tang. Took it from a 3" rifle to 1". Nothing I can tell you these guys havent. My only tip is to absolutely make sure you have enough release agent on the action.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I thought these things were reasonably well bedded from the factory. What am I missing? I am currently looking to get rid of a wood 84M for the purchase of a Montana in 308. I want it to shoot of course.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
I bedded a 300wsm, just the lug and tang. Took it from a 3" rifle to 1". Nothing I can tell you these guys havent. My only tip is to absolutely make sure you have enough release agent on the action.

If I could ask..what did you find that made your decision to re-bed? A couple I've looked at were very well done from the factory.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The stocks are slave bedded -- not individually bedded to a specific action. In my case, the action had a little wiggle room in the stock. I wanted it to be stress free to optimize performance.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bedded my .308, first, just the lug and the action (not the shank). It shot pretty good, but it shot better after I bedded two inches of the shank.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
TAG

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I want to follow up on this post. Karnis was a huge help with this project.

Before bedding. Although the factory job was smooth, I still had lots of wiggle room.

[Linked Image]

Etched the bedding with a Dremel tool and plugged the holes..

[Linked Image]

Applied tape and Acraglass gel...most of you that have done this before will recognize that I didn't use enough compound in areas needed...especially the lug!

[Linked Image]

This was my first attempt at bedding any rifle and It was far from stellar! Notice the lack of bedding in the lug area. The shank area was fine, but the receiver area was horrible.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I couldn't stand it, so I ground it all out the next night.

[Linked Image]

And this time it turned out much better!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I used more compound the second time. I had to Dremel a little overage from the mag well, but that was no biggie. I still have plenty of screw contact as well. I'm pretty happy with the results. I have a nice snug fit now. I'll shoot it this weekend and see how it does.

A big thanks to Karnis for all his help! Had he not been nice enough to exchange PM's, I would have probably made a big mess.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice. Shoot it!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What did you plug the holes with? How did you get it out of the screw threads?

Looks like a find job. Hope it shoots well enough for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 32 invisible), 2,000 guests, and 1,029 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,373
Posts18,488,422
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.