Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kutenay;
I trust that this finds you well tonight sir.

This is the 2nd attempt here at a photo...the new photobucket is giving me absolute fits.

[Linked Image]

OK, unless this one vanishes as well into the clouds, this shows the comb and cheek piece on the 98 style he offers.

While I suppose it would be possible to rasp it off, one would definitely be through the outer skin and into the foam core at that point and I'd be worried about how that would affect the integrity of the stock.

As a by the way, the recoil pad in the photo is still the original 5 oz Decelerator which has since been changed out for a blank that I picked up from the good folks at Corlane's up in Dawson Creek.

Their blank isn't quite as easy on the shoulder as a Decelerator, but did drop an honest 3oz from the total weight.

Oh, I do know that starting with a 98 action isn't the bright way to build a true lightweight rifle. It was just one of "those projects" that I started and it kind of grew a life of it's own.... blush

I did end up with an honest 7lb 98 when I was done, which was more or less the windmill that I'd saddled up to tilt at.
[Linked Image]
As to was it worth it? Well I wish I'd started with either a Brno or small ring Husqvarna now, but as you can see, I didn't.

Hopefully that was some use to you sir. All the best to you on your future rifle builds and hunts.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 10/25/12.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've worked with Lone Wolf, Brown, McM, HS and others. I reworked the bedding on the Lone Wolf stock pictured earlier. I'm not convinced Lone Wolf is nearly as good as they think it is. They have a proprietary bedding process that they're really proud of. If it's all that much better than standard bedding, I don't know. For what they charge for it, I hope it's a lot better... blush

I don't understand the business plan for the new company that Lone Wolf became part of. Seems to me they're pricing themselves out of the market.

McM Edge or Brown Precision would be two viable choices for very light weight rifles, IMHO.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I don't understand the business plan for the new company that Lone Wolf became part of. Seems to me they're pricing themselves out of the market.

A filthy stinking rich .com millionaire thought it would be a good idea. That's pretty much the business model in a nut shell.

Look on the bright side. At least he didn't buy RL Winston and Simms waders.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm in the process of skelitonizing a model 7 ss 308 -the stock is the odd looking one that came off of a remington 673 guide gun that gun had a magnum barrel channel [#3].
I took a rip saw w/a fine trim cutting blade laid the stock on flat surface -placed knee on stock and put the blade through the stock and out the other side through the cheekpiece-laf-.
Then did it on the lower edge of the stock -then finished the two big cuts w/a jigsaw- +hacked off 1 1/2" of the forend and started sanding-i have a bit of sanding left to do then i'll refinish the raw wood/laminate.
Someone told me that laminated wood didn't take normal wood finishes very well -so i'm contenplating sanding the whole stock down and refinishing it w/ leather die that i was told to use.
The stock is light wood / dark wood finish in the laminate and ain't too pretty to me -so i might make it a darker brown or maybe charcoal color w/a very low gloss finish.
It sure lightened it up -no more mod7 feel -still might hog a little more wood out of the pistol grip area w/a paddle bit.
My new computer won't recognize my camera no matter what i do -so can't get pics onto photobucket -i could send pics via phone if'n somebody wanted to post them.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 51 invisible), 17,967 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,955
Posts18,539,564
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.