Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Thanks for the idea! Do you use that load on Canadian deer? I used to live in Toronto myself and have hunted two whitetale near Peterborough in Ontario. I shot both with 160 gr partion bullets in 7mm Remington Magnum. You can see pictures here

laugh

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dr. Omid: Wonderful rifle...I have not seen Jim Coffin's rifles in the flesh but admired pictures of them.

I agree with the poster who said simply load a 210 Partition and shoot everything.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wow

RLTW
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Omid
Thanks for the idea! Do you use that load on Canadian deer? I used to live in Toronto myself and have hunted two whitetale near Peterborough in Ontario. I shot both with 160 gr partion bullets in 7mm Remington Magnum. You can see pictures here

laugh

I'm north of Kingston. Haven't used this load on deer, but will be using it for moose next month. I have used 225interlocks and 225tsx previously, and both worked fine..

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Some updates:

As per suggestion of one of forum members, I contacted Mr. Steve Nelson who is also a guild member and a friend of the late Mr Coffin. He pointed out that the number marked on the barrel is ACGG's certificate number. So It should be possible to trace the gun through ACGG archives. I am waiting for more information from him on this.

IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Omid
Some updates:

As per suggestion of one of forum members, I contacted Mr. Steve Nelson who is also a guild member and a friend of the late Mr Coffin. He pointed out that the number marked on the barrel is ACGG's certificate number. So It should be possible to trace the gun through ACGG archives. I am waiting for more information from him on this.

This is great news! Get in touch with the guild and they will have it's history on file. Metal smith, stock maker, engraver and year of production.

BTW, beautiful rifle!

Terry

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Some updates: Just ordered two boxes of Federal ammunition to test the rifle with: 180 Gr Nosler Accubound and 250 Gr Nosler Partition. I should be able to test fire the rifle next weekend.

Also got information from Mr Nelson that the metal work on the rifle is most likely done by (the late) Mr. Larry Brace, also a master gun maker from Eugene, Oregon.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Omid,

Several years back I bought a custom Mauser in .404 Jeffery. I have been trying to identify the maker ever since. Unfortunately, my rifle has evidently been rebarrelled, and all traces of the maker's name went with the original barrel.

From what I can tell by examining the photos of your rifle, there are several areas of similarity. I would appreciate your examining the photos I posted in this thread to see if you spot other similarities: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=mauserarchive&Number=148745

You certainly have a fine looking rifle.

Bill Warren

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Re 404. The action is an original Mauser Magnum action. The safety and bolt handle are not original. However, the bolt handle appears to have been altered before the rifle was stocked. The bolt alteration looks like Burgess. The safety also looks a lot like Tom Burgess' as does the bolt knob checkering. Also, the stamping "404" look like the size and style which Tom used. The guard bow and lever are original and were not modified by Tom if he did this. The contour of the barrel shank is like Tom's also. It doesn't look like a new barrel but if it was it was well inleted into the stock by a pretty good stock maker. There should be markings under the stock line on the barrel shank. Post pics of the markings. I don't recognize the style of the stock. It would help if there were pics of the cheek piece and the forearm!

Last edited by RinB; 09/08/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
RinB,

Thanks for your comments. Howeveer, there are no markings anywhere else on the barrel and the barrel channel clearly shows where the wood was scraped to accomodate a slightly different barrel profile than the original. All of the barrel channel, except where the scraping took place, had been sealed, so the contrast is obvious. Also, the inletting was still not perfect, since there was quite a bit of up pressure on the barrel immediately in front of the receiver ring.

When I received it, neither a "go" headspace gauge nor Hornady factory ammunition would chamber in it, but Kynoch ammunition would.

There is no cheekpiece on the stock, and the quality of the wood is in strange contrast to the quality of the workmanship.

I have sent these photos to a whole long list of rifle makers and although praise of the workmanship is universal, no one has been able to identify the workman(men). Seeing Mr. Coffin's work added another name to the list of possible makers.

IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by setch
Can ayone tell from the pics the origin of the action -- sporterized, C-ring, I am not versed enough in mausers to tell

It looks like it began as a military rifle, a commercial sporter, or an early FN commercial action. Hard to tell w/o markings. Clearly a large ring, and it's unlikely that the side markings from a commercial Oberndorf would have been polished off. I would suspect it's something on the order of a VZ-24 that got new life (nothing wrong w/ that...actions of this kind are superb for rifles like this). To your question of C ring...it would definitely be a C ring, as only the later FNs were the H ring IIRC.

Very nice rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slick looking looking gun,great caliber!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Omid,

I suspect the number on the rifle, ACGG, No 61B is a American Custom Gunmakers Guild Hallmark number. Contact the guild historian and he should be able to give you complete details on the rifle. Jim Coffin was a very fine stockmaker, by the way.

TT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful rifle. As for loads, I've been happy with unload I got from Mule Deer; 65gr R15 under a 200/210 gr bullet.

O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O

Originally Posted by xausa
Omid,

Several years back I bought a custom Mauser in .404 Jeffery. I have been trying to identify the maker ever since. Unfortunately, my rifle has evidently been rebarrelled, and all traces of the maker's name went with the original barrel.

From what I can tell by examining the photos of your rifle, there are several areas of similarity. I would appreciate your examining the photos I posted in this thread to see if you spot other similarities: http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=mauserarchive&Number=148745

You certainly have a fine looking rifle.

Bill Warren

This is a beautiful 404!! Some parts look like my rifle but I am not knowlegable enough to say who the maker is. I see that other members already made some comments about your rifle. I hope you have found those helpful.

Last edited by Omid; 09/10/12.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
To TSQUARE:

Thanks for your comment. Mr. Nelson of Oregon told me he had already contacted the ACGG regarding my rifle and this is not a certificate number. Nonetheless, I am going to contcat them myself too. It wouldn't hurt to ask them since Jim Coffin has been a guild member and ACGG is stamped on the barrel. So, they should somewho have a record.

Last edited by Omid; 09/10/12.
O
Omid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
Finally, I got the chance to test fire the rifle at the range. Here are some pictures. I tested the rifle with 180 grain Accubound bullets and 250 grain Partition bullets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking through the Zeiss 4X scope:
[Linked Image]

Zoomed image showing central zone of the above image. The metallic targets seen here are at 200, 300 and 400 yards.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (1Longbow, 22kHornet, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 39 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,930
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.