-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TBBC is my favorite bonded core bullet but I haven't tried most of the others except Hornadys and they are more fragile IMO.

The 300 gr TBBC in a 375 penetrates a lonnnng ways but I have recovered a few from large bull moose. The expanded size is huge and doesn't penetrate through the offside hide like a TSX.

I did kill a grizzly by shooting in the neck [300gr] as it came toward me and the bullet exited 3" to the side of the tail.

Too bad we can't buy TBBCs for reloading.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have been very happy with the bullet, and really couldn't ask for better results. The load shoots well out of my Mountain Rifle, and I really wish I would have gone ahead and ordered 20x boxes while they were on clearance at Midway!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To the OP I bet those TBBC's you are shooting may be the "old" style that were available to handloaders.They were not cheap and I bet there are some floating around that you might find at gun shows, or maybe Ebay and gunstores that carry used loading components.

Keep an eye out and you may come up with enough to load yourself for that 280!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jason280
I have been very happy with the bullet, and really couldn't ask for better results. The load shoots well out of my Mountain Rifle, and I really wish I would have gone ahead and ordered 20x boxes while they were on clearance at Midway!

IIRC Federal changed the factory TTBC to the TBT. Don't know if they make HE in 7MM-08.
[Linked Image]

Ed
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by kman
Interlock would do the same thing and is cheaper as it is a non premium. If I'm paying for a premium I want an exit wound (mono), especially on something like a deer. Heck the 150 CT Btip exited from my buddies 280 rem mountain rifle last year on a solid buck at 75 yards.

I used an Interlock on my buck this year. Through-and-through with no blood trail.

Just about any bullet works on deer.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
... that makes at least two deer, shot at less than 100 yards where velocity was high(from a 280 Remington). Neither deer took a step after impact (DRT?),and the damage was extensive to the vitals, where it needed to be.

The bullet is a bonded core slug that generally expands to a wide frontal area,sheds no core material,penetrates well to the off side,where it is stopped by the rubbery hide due to the wide expansion (which also caused the damage to the vitals).

... I bet that at longer range ,where the velocity had dropped off, the bullet likely would have exited...

This is neither here nor there,as a blood trail of any type was not needed.

That same bullet would have worked as well on a an elk, a moose, a bear, or any other game animal in North America.The bullet is not lacking in performance in any way whatsoever.

North Forks are very similar to Trophy Bonded in construction (less the new tip on the TB's) and seem to perform in a similar manner. While one cow went 25 yards or so after a broadside and exit at ~280 yards (.300WM, 180g NF), two others dropped at the shot (.30-06, 165g NF). A 6x6 bull also dropped on a broadside, 213 yards with a 350g from my .45-70. The bullet from the .45-70 was recovered from under the hide on the off side, having done extensive damage and breaking the left front leg and two ribs. One of the .30-06 bullets was recovered from about 40 yards. A 140g from my 7mm RM was recovered from up against the sternum of a mulie buck, having entered low on the right rear ham. Dropped that buck straight down.

My hunting buddy has used the older TB's to good effect. Unless one is taking very long shots I don't know how one could ask for more consistent performance than the TB and NF bullets provide. You don't always get an exit but we've never had one come apart or create a shallow wound. They seem to work equally well at short and long ranges and don't waste a lot of meat as more explosive bullets often do.

My plan is to use the .300WM/180g NF and .30-06/165g NF again this year - will have to see what happens at the range tomorrow. Leaving Wednesday so this is our final range day.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
CH: Nice today there are so many good bonded bullets to choose from... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (AlanF, anothergun, 44mc, 7887mm08, Amos63, 7 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,701
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.