Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok...anyone who is shopping a new pair of boots, should take a look at schnees beartooth insulated. I wore these on my CO elk hunt and they were amazing...no breakin was required. They fit me like a glove right away and were extremely comfortable and supportive through miles of walking/hiking.

I hunted in a pair of meindle perfekts last year & they just didn't fit me right, were uncomfortable, and I returned them. No issues with the schnees. Check them out if you need a new set.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the Meindls were uncomfortable why did you buy them in the first place?

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was told they required a breakin and would then loosen up. So I bought them and and tried to work them to a comfortable place. I had the proper size, but the 'crease' along the toe-line continued to bite my feet well after the rest of the boot loosened up. They just weren't for me given my foot.

I'm not bashing them...was simply providing a point of reference.

Last edited by setch; 10/22/12.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What shape foot do you have?

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a bit of a narrow heel cup and the front part of my foot is a little wide. So the challenge is finding a shoe/boot that is a touch narrow in the heel & little wide in the toe box.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bet the seam was off. I had that happen in a pair of Keen's I use for around town hikes. Returned them and the seam biting my toes was no longer in the way.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the review. I am debating whether or not to get another year of use out of my Schnee pacs. We hunt after XMAS in + 10,000 of New Mexico and can get quite a bit of snow and cold. Therefore, these tall boots and gaiters come in handy. There are times I may post and glass for a few hours and the felt pacs plus my woolens work out real well.
The bottom line is I am leery of a boot, even with 400grams of insulation to keep my feet warm. I also will change out my socks after getting to a vantage point to mitigate any cooling with damp socks.
I'll check their website.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Thanks for the review. I am debating whether or not to get another year of use out of my Schnee pacs. We hunt after XMAS in + 10,000 of New Mexico and can get quite a bit of snow and cold. Therefore, these tall boots and gaiters come in handy. There are times I may post and glass for a few hours and the felt pacs plus my woolens work out real well.
The bottom line is I am leery of a boot, even with 400grams of insulation to keep my feet warm. I also will change out my socks after getting to a vantage point to mitigate any cooling with damp socks.

Joe, I'd be using the Beartooth's if they fit my right foot. I've used 400 gram Thinsulate down in -30F and as long as I was moving, my feet were fine. No doubt, 200 gram Primaloft would work equally well. And I frostbit my feet severely in 1976 and they've never been the same since.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
those look like my Lowa Sheephunters which I am using for my 7th season. They are one mean hombre and I love 'em.

The way life should be.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Lowa Sheephunter KILLED my feet... they may look the same, but the Lowa's are FAR stiffer... not for everyone's feet. I've had both...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have a pair of the uninsulated ones and with about 30 miles on them I'm pretty happy. Get a slight pinch at the base of the big toe from the way the leather folds but it isn't painful. I did find they needed some breaking in to settle the heel. For those with wide, blunt feet like me, they are built on a straight last and the toe box is roomy. They are built for high volume feet, so there can be a little too much material for a low volume foot, which is why I think I have the fold that I do. Well made, and just the right combination of support and flex. They are heavier than the Schnee's website says, mine are about 4.5 lbs for the pair. Reasonable for the support they provide.

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
those look like my Lowa Sheephunters which I am using for my 7th season. They are one mean hombre and I love 'em.

The nice folks at schnees told me the beartooths are based on the sheephunters, so the similarity was deliberate.

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

I have the schnees pac-boots, BTW and really like them. I don't hunt in as severe cold weather as you do, but they are my favorite for stand hunting in Jan in NW PA. For a non-Pac-boot, you might consider the Dannner Canadian. I have a pair and they are very very warm...600grms thinsulate and are quite tall at 10" with really good support.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
These companies need to come up with some kind of a fitting system. Something thy could send you to take a foot measurement and then use it to help with sizing and models. It's not like you can go to very many stores and try on all these makes and models!

I want to buy a high end pair, but I can see a lot of return shipping in my future.

setch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I agree. You pretty much accept the fact that you have to order 2 or 3 different sizes, pick the one that fits & return the rest. So the cost of the boot is actually a bit more once you return the ones that do not work. I consider it a 'cost of doing business' and just accept it. The alternative is to shop boots that are available at stores, and that really limits your choices...often to lesser quality boots.

I doubt they can get to a standard/uniform fitting system, but it sure would be nice!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
These companies need to come up with some kind of a fitting system. Something thy could send you to take a foot measurement and then use it to help with sizing and models. It's not like you can go to very many stores and try on all these makes and models!

I want to buy a high end pair, but I can see a lot of return shipping in my future.
If you're willing to pay for it, Lathrop and Sons will kinda do that with their fitting system. FWIW...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
hmm, pretty cool.

http://www.lathropandsons.com/synergy-footbeds/synergy-footbeds-custom-insoles.html

so this would do exactly what i wanted, for ANY pair of boots. except that it would not affect fit problems arising from parts of the boot other than the footbed/last?

ie, if the toebox is not wide enough, this won't help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if they work on brands other than they sell, but I do know that they will alter the boots as well for a better fit (obviously within limits). So, it might be possible for them to stretch/form the toe box to fit better. The offered to adjust my boots if the insoles + new boots didn't solve an issue I was having. I've only had one transaction with them and it was positive enough that my next expensive boot purchase will be with them as well.

They fit orthodics and prosthetics for a living.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
thanks for the heads up. sounds like the kind of dedicated customer oriented business i like to trade with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1moredeer, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,224 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.