Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I have an old Savage M-23... I tried shooting it the other day with the iron sights. frown Shot 10" high at 25 yds. To further complicate matters, my 61 yr old eyes don't like the sights.

Has anyone ever mounted a scope on one? If so, what scope mounts does one use? I would prefer to use a "period" scope appropriate to the years of the rifle. Other than the obvious choices of old steel-tuber Weavers or Lymans or 2 3/4 Redfields, I have a couple of Lyman Alaskans , a Fecker 7x Small game scope, and a Litchert 8x Varmintmaster which I believe is a modification of a J4 Weaver...

Anyone have any recommendations? smile

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've had a couple 23s , currently one in 25-20. Used Weaver bases, same front and rear. Can't recall the Weaver # but they are a common base. For the scope I used a K-10 and Millet rings. If you'd like to see what it looks like I'll take a pic and post it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Craigster

I'd love to see a pic or two.... If it's not too much trouble... grin

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here you go:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some were drilled and tapped on the left side of the reciever for the older Weaver "N" sheet steel mounts for the 3/4 scopes. They also had a tip off mount that would align with the holes. If I can dig mine out I will. It keeps from having to drill and tap the top of the reciever if that is something you want to avoid. Ryan

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here it is on my 23D.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks a bunch, guys... It's nice to see something rather than just a pic in my head... smile

I'm not above drilling a couple of holes if I have to, but I'd really like to avoid any more holes than is absolutely necessary. I really doubt that these rifles will ever be a high dollar collector. But I can remember a time when they sold for $50 or less...

I have a side mount for a 3/4 scope, but I really don't want to go that route... I'd like a straight power scope like a Winchester A-5 or Lyman 438. Unertl small game scopes have just gone waaaaaay out of sight. frown I sure wish I'd have kept that 10x Unertl scope that I sold a few years ago for $90. frown I suppose something will turn up...

Thanks again,

GH

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You might be surprised at what the 23s are going for these days.
This beater went for $270.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=291407049

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm hesitant to resurrect this old thread, but I'm still having problems with the scope mount... I have acquired two Unertl bases. The front one has a dovetail on the bottom, and slides in where the rear sight goes. The holes on the rear one match the spacing of the two predrilled holes.

Heres the promblem: The front screw seems to be some sort of a #10 screw. All the screws I have in my parts box, nothing fits... And further, the rear screw seems to be a #4, or #5. That problem is a non issue, as I can merely D&T it out to 6-48...

Anyone have any insight?

GH

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hopper I had one w/a 2.5 scope in 25-20. I think you'd be better off drilling the top for Weaver mounts. They look better on the gun and it appears the Unertl mounts would need a rather long tube scope to be able to reach the front mount. That dovetail looks a long ways out there. powdr

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just took my 23AA to the GS to have top mounts installed. the old side mounts suck when trying to fit a scope to it..A couple more holes won't matter on my rifle. grin

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Hubert,

I talked to a 'smith about mine the other day, and he suggested that I put Weaver bases on it. It already has two holes D&T'd on the top now, so I guess a couple more won't hurt... grin I'm still trying to come up with a way to mount a vintage scope on it.

Likely if I go the Weaver route, I'll put a Lyman ALASKAN on it...

GH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 67 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,413
Posts18,470,470
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.