Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Great day with the exception some things haven't changed. Flushed four Birds and managed to miss one of them in the wide open. Saw a beeeeg Buck three times in a matter of 15 minutes. Could have shot him three times-I think grin-at 15 to 30yards. I would see him and he would stand there for 30 seconds to a minute, then trot off. Go 50yards and there he was again. Couldn't get the camera out and on him in time for a pic. What is it with a Dog and Deer? The biggest Bucks I have ever seen have all been while Grouse hunting with a Dog and for the most part they stick around.

When I saw him the third time, I was thinking were would I set up for him the first morning and wasn't paying attention to Toby when he busted a Bird out of a grapevine tangle right beside me. It flew past me at 10 feet max and I waited for it to move out further and proceeded to empty the gun while he was in the wide open. Getting a little frustrating, but it is what it is.

Saw two big rubs and a long scrape line in another area about a mile away, so the day was not a waste. Took this not so good pic driving out of two little Does.

[Linked Image]

A pic of some of the countryside:

[Linked Image]

Addition: Don't be all that down about W.V. There is just an enormous amount of open land to hunt and the W.V. people are some of the best you will run into.

Last edited by battue; 11/14/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Not much kicking today. These three watched me and then trotted off.

[Linked Image]

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Toby: "Well just because you are in a slump doesn't mean we have to come home empty handed and I don't need no stinking shotgun."

Anyway, did a little Deer sign prospecting today and took Toby along. Didn't have a shotgun. Was looking over a well used trail when I see movement out of my peripheral. Turn and Toby is chasing down a Grouse. In seconds he has it and is bringing it to me. Huh?

[Linked Image]

Had a busted wing, so someone had clipped it sometime in the past, but let's keep that to ourselves and let him enjoy the good boy I gave him. wink

Took another pic for memory sake a little further up the trail.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/23/12.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice picture..Toby looks like a wonderful pal..I had a golden named that..deadly on phesants and sage grouse..I didn't realize what a great hunter he was until he was gone..Hard headed, but a great dog..nice work on Toby's part..Maybe in the late season shooting will pickup..Just got home from a seven week trip..Had some good shooting, nothing great, but it is great to be back home in Wy..Hope you had a good deer season and are ready for winter grouse...

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 1minute, 50 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,858
Posts18,478,546
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.