-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another information source would be the NRA. The Dec 1949 issue of the American Rifleman had a very good article with loading recommendation for different bullit weights, powders and safety notes for lever action savage and bolt actions for some of the hotter higher pressure rounds tested. I could fax if you are not an NRA member and really need to know. I don't have a scanner so I cannot post on the site.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300Savage,
<br>
<br>Does the NRA have back issues of American Rifleman/Hunter in an electronic format that NRA members can access via the net? I was 2 in 1949 and hadn't bought my life membership yet, so I don't have that issue in my library.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bearrr264,
<br>
<br>I was 1 1/2 and I have a copy in my library. You must have had a sheltered youth. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Rick....

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know they have an 800 number for their library. I have had copies of articles mailed to me. It used to be free but I believe they have a nominal charge for members. I could fax you the article. PS: I was also two in 1949, but came across this in the magazine rack of my gun club. Someone was cleaning out their basement. This same issue had an article on a buffalo Hunt. Interesting photo show the only buffalo that droped in its tracks with one shot was taken with a Savage 99 in what else but a 300 Savage! Elmer Keith needed more than one round from his .45-120-566 Sharps Buffalo rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Robert,
<br>
<br>I stopped at Hornady, after I went to Swed's and Diesbachs', when I was in Grand Island to check your information. They claim that they don't sell .227 bullet to Norma.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>They claim that they don't sell .227 bullet to Norma.<p><hr></blockquote>
<br>Notice that I prefaced my statement with "I believe." I've never used Norma components enough to know for sure. However, I do know that these are NOT available from Norma as component bullets and, according to the Norma literature I have (which dates back to 1972), they never have.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Robert,
<br>
<br>I know that you prefaced your comment with "I believe". I didn't say that you were wrong. I said that I checked your information, that you believed that Hornady supplied Norma with those projectiles, and Hornady says that they have not and do not.
<br>
<br>I'm not being disrespectful of you or your knowledge. Quite the opposite, I am quite impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge. I know that I can learn a lot from you. On the other side of the same coin, you can learn a thing or two from me, if you keep an open mind that is.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264
<br>
<br>PS Hornady also told me that they do make some projectiles for Remington, at Remington's specifications, so your dialog with someone about that issue on a different thread was correct. You won't see me taking a cheap shot at anyone, I just call 'em as they are!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tex, I'm probably a gettin in on the hind end a this discussion but I have a tiny bit of experience with the S&B 5.6x52R factory load.
<br>#1:Out of 2 different 1899H's,both TD FWT's, one would'nt shoot this load worth a hoot, the other rifle(Just got it back from the gunsmith, see my post from the 25th if interested)shoots this load as good or better than the Norma factory load.
<br>Go figure. Both rifles have a bore dia. of .227. I personally miked em.One was born in 1916(tha one that don't like the S&B)and the tother was born in 1914 (I think).
<br>#2: I also miked the bullets from said S&B loading and bear in mind, I'm no machinist,but I came up with a bullet dia.
<br>of .221 or so average from 10 different loaded rounds.
<br>If you bother to convert from metric to inches, .221 or so is actually 5.6mm.Kind a confusin ta this old country boy.
<br>The Norma factory load bullet miked right at .227.
<br>Now, why the S&B load will shoot in one rifle and not the other(when the bores both mike the same)is a mystery to me.Ya can take a loaded round(S&B) an insert tha bullet in the muzzle end a both rifles and it will "rattle" round in both of em.
<br>Maybe some of ya gents with a tad more expertise er knowhow can explain it.
<br>I do know one thang tho, at a cost a 9.50 per box(S&B)
<br>versus 28.00(Norma),I'll be a feedin my customized 22HP the S&B load cuz I don't handload no more.Yer ol cuz may be a tad dumb, but I ain't ignorant.
<br>Later, Yer ol Cuz Mitch.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the same experience....have two .22 HPs and one of them will shoot the S & B OK and the other one doesn't. The one that doesn't is an 1899H dob 1918 I think and the other one is a 99F dob 1938. The F does fine. Never checked the bores for size.
<br>
<br>Elwood

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 702 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,226
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.