Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Criminals find it rather easy to disarm a person who is open carrying. Even Police officers with decent holsters have to be aware of this problem. I say don't open carry if you don't have too. I didn't say this, Derby Dude.

ah, i don't think so, you wouldn't find it or anyone else find it easy to disarm me.

On the other hand, open carry on the prairies and forest is far more dangerous from criminals both to honest citizens and peace officers yet both citizens and officers open carry in the field. I guess we must still be the Wild West. SARCASM! Boy, was this point lost! Derby Dude.

Ah, of course we are still in the Wild West. Visit rural arizona some time. I don't know where you get your logic? It is a standard joke in arizona that people don't carjack trucks in arizona, you might get shot. You would be surprised how polite society is when every man/boy is armed. Geez, I had my favorite grandson open carrying while i was with him, when he was about 8 or so. He started with a ruger bearcat, unloaded, moved up to loaded, then up the scale to a springfield xd. The one thing i ain't gonna do is be two hours from response time from a law enforcement agency and be unarmed.
You think it is FAR MORE DANGEROUS FROM CRIMINALS because of open carry?
Twisted for sure.

The point I was trying to make is that it's far easier for criminals to disarm or kill police or honest citizen in the field than it is in the city yet I don't hear of police or honest citizens being killed or disarmed in the field. I believe that the myth of open carry leading to disarmament or death in the city is just that a myth.

If there are actually stats to say otherwise than let someone post especially the police types on here.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Boococky
In Tennessee (where I work and hunt) it is legal to carry open or concealed
In Mississippi (where I live) its concealed only, but they are not concerned about printing or partially sticking out, just no wide open carry

With that being said, I typically only open carry on my property and sometimes at my business. I don't know if its myth or fact - deters crime or makes me a target, but I would rather have my gun concealed or at least partially as to have an advantage if that situation arose. Most people around here don't care either way, but I don't like drawing unneeded attention to myself.

As mentioned before, I would like the option of open carry to cover ARs and such if the need arose
Were I free to choose, I'd carry concealed most of the time. Open carry would be reserved exclusively for instances where an open show of preparedness would seem advantageous.

I totally agree, wish it was an option in my state(MS) although where I live, there would be an extreme rarity that I would ever even need my gun....where I work on the other hand, it is a daily necessity

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Criminals find it rather easy to disarm a person who is open carrying. Even Police officers with decent holsters have to be aware of this problem. I say don't open carry if you don't have too. I didn't say this, Derby Dude.

ah, i don't think so, you wouldn't find it or anyone else find it easy to disarm me.

On the other hand, open carry on the prairies and forest is far more dangerous from criminals both to honest citizens and peace officers yet both citizens and officers open carry in the field. I guess we must still be the Wild West. SARCASM! Boy, was this point lost! Derby Dude.

Ah, of course we are still in the Wild West. Visit rural arizona some time. I don't know where you get your logic? It is a standard joke in arizona that people don't carjack trucks in arizona, you might get shot. You would be surprised how polite society is when every man/boy is armed. Geez, I had my favorite grandson open carrying while i was with him, when he was about 8 or so. He started with a ruger bearcat, unloaded, moved up to loaded, then up the scale to a springfield xd. The one thing i ain't gonna do is be two hours from response time from a law enforcement agency and be unarmed.
You think it is FAR MORE DANGEROUS FROM CRIMINALS because of open carry?
Twisted for sure.

The point I was trying to make is that it's far easier for criminals to disarm or kill police or honest citizen in the field than it is in the city yet I don't hear of police or honest citizens being killed or disarmed in the field. I believe that the myth of open carry leading to disarmament or death in the city is just that a myth.

If there are actually stats to say otherwise than let someone post especially the police types on here.

You very well maybe completely right, but in the off chance youre not, I choose to conceal

I have a good friend who is LE and even if he is off duty, if he is still in his uniform, he keeps his vest on for the very reason we are talking about, to not be a target

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
"Blatantly" open carry makes people around you nervous,especially store owners and gas station attendants....

We've had an "unintended consequence" (interesting book, BTW)from a recent open carry law that was passed here. Overland Park is either the largest or 2nd largest city in KS and recently passed an ordnance allowing open carry. About two weeks ago I stopped in a very large liquor store to get libations for a South Dakota pheasant hunt for 11 guys (would have been a significant purchase blush )and found that they had recently posted it. Rather than enter, I went to the car and called them---they said they decided that it wasn't appropriate to have open guns being carried in their store---evidently none of the clerks felt comfortable having customers openly carrying. I next drove to the local mega-mall where my wife and I frequently go walking when the weather is bad---there's also a Panera and a Barnes & Noble that we frequent there. There are now no-carry signs on the mall entrances as a result of the oc law. Quite honestly, I didn't anticipate that result. Our concealed carry laws have been in effect for about 5 years and neither location was posted---within a week of Open Carry being passed, both locations posted their property.

I've always had conflicting feelings about oc----the deterrent factor is real in some cases, but so is the catalyst factor.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Some will say "f'em, I like to make people uncomfortable". That's up to each person.

...unfortunately the "armed society is a polite society" concept has its deviants.

Having worked in a gunshop and at a large indoor range, I'm convinced that everyone should be allowed to own and carry a gun----however, it's also convinced me that not everyone should be allowed to breed or vote. The shooting qualification-test for our state is a joke---it literally could be passed blindfolded.....I'm more concerned with the incompetence of the carriers than with whether they're open or concealed carrying. Most people carrying in the State of Kansas (and I suspect most other states also) are less of a threat to their intended target than they are to any other object downrange in a very broad beaten zone (including themselves). Still, I support their right to carry, but indeed ignorance is bliss and knowledge is a burden.
JMO-YMMV

Last edited by gmoats; 11/05/12.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In more places than not, even where legal, open carry will generally be frowned upon and could lead to questions, looks and stops by an LEO. Not right, just a fact. Living in a stupid ass blue state there is no way I'd open carry in town or city unless I was trying to make a statement. Which by the way I think is about the stupidest reason for an "individual" to do something. So while I'm not against it, I really question the intelligence/sanity of someone who goes open carry for a trip to the store. Throw a dang jacket or untucked shirt on for Christ sake.

But "issue" avoidance is really my only reason to be against it. I've yet to see one documented case where a civilian was singled out and attacked first because it was known they had a gun, or was big, or looked tough, or...........

Now you'll note that I put "individual" into quotes above. Personally I wonder if we'd all be better off if everyone as a "group" with open carry capabilities did so on a regular basis. The more folk who get used to the idea the better off we'd all be in the long run. Maybe we should declare first Sat. every month "Open Carry Day" and let the rest of the folk know that it's not gonna be a gun battle free for all that they fear.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I only open carry around the farm or in country where people are few and far between. I don't think OC is a wise option otherwise.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LarryfromBend
I only open carry around the farm or in country where people are few and far between. I don't think OC is a wise option otherwise.
I can. For example, there are arsonous riots going on, and heading your way. You want them to see that folks in your neighborhood are prepared to repel them, if need be.

Also, you and your family are moving from your old house in Miami to your new house in Tallahassee, and in the truck you have your fifty thousand dollar firearms collection, and fifty thousand dollars worth of silver and gold. At gas stops and such, it seems to me you might want to send the signal, when you all dismount, that you folks are prepared to repel carjack attempts. Avoid the trouble before it happens that way.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by deflave
I'd rather a bad guy not know he should shoot me first.

Travis

That's my thought as well. I have no issue if others do, but it's not my preference.

+1000000 Gentlemen.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I originally come from Vermont. Back in the day (30+ years ago) Vermont had no gun laws, open carry, concealed carry who cares there were no laws or licensing requirements for either and there were not gun battles on every corner.

I guess it's just the anarchist in me, let people carry as they see fit with no restrictions or licensing requirements. Hold people responsible for their consequences of their actions if they screw up.

If we all carry, we will be a polite society and criminals will go some where else. Personally, I think the police are more scared of the honest citizen carrying than any criminal.

I should have added politicians to that last sentence as well.

Last edited by derby_dude; 11/05/12.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If we all carry, we will be a polite society and criminals will go some where else. Personally, I think the police are more scared of the honest citizen carrying than any criminal.

How the [bleep] would you know about the thoughts of any LEO?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
let people carry as they see fit with no restrictions or licensing requirements. Hold people responsible for their consequences of their actions if they screw up.

In this regard, I would agree.

I think the police are more scared of the honest citizen carrying than any criminal.

Here, however, you are way off the mark.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Do you really? Say something intelligent every now and again and you could probably get away with saying that ("I think" that is; the rest of your post is polar opposite of what LEOs would like to see). Right now? Not so much.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well, for about seven years i worked patrol as a sheriff's deputy in yavapai county arizona, which is larger than some states. At times there was only a couple of us on duty for the whole county, and many areas i patroled i had NO radio contact or backup. I had absolutely no concern about being disarmed period. Backup if any, was often provided by some agency that took quite a bit of time to get there. I think the same is true still in parts of arizona, certainly for the border patrol in some areas. Most of the people i had contact with i would have said at the time probably would have covered my butt if needed. But then that was rural arizona. To this day, i have a habit of slowing down or stopping if i see a leo THAT looka like they may need assistence. Course that helps in areas where everybody knows everybody.
Game and fish works with armed people all the time. I don't think i can remember even one of them being shot.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by NH K9
let people carry as they see fit with no restrictions or licensing requirements. Hold people responsible for their consequences of their actions if they screw up.

In this regard, I would agree.

I think the police are more scared of the honest citizen carrying than any criminal.

Here, however, you are way off the mark.

George

Well you may have a point in more rural areas of any state but you get into the big metropolitan areas such as New York City, Boston, Chicago, etc. and the police are scared of anyone having a gun citizen and criminal alike.

There I compromised for the good cops like you George. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Magnumdood

Do you really? Say something intelligent every now and again and you could probably get away with saying that ("I think" that is; the rest of your post is polar opposite of what LEOs would like to see). Right now? Not so much.

See reply to George.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
See reply to George.

Cite your source. Anecdotal evidence (talking to a few LEOs) means about as much as what you think (or even IF you think) - nothing. Direct me to a scientifically conducted survey of LEOs working in the inner cities asking them about their perception of an armed, law abiding citizenry. I'd like to read it and examine their survey instrument and the methodology of the application of the instrument. Additionally, I'd be very interested in the conclusions of the PhD(s) who conducted the survey.

Otherwise, as Travis put it; how the [bleep] would you know what an LEO thinks?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I LOVE Utah and yes I OC, EVERY day. This will be me tomorrow am after I walk out of my local elementary school where I vote.

Alan

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
well, for about seven years i worked patrol as a sheriff's deputy in yavapai county arizona, which is larger than some states. At times there was only a couple of us on duty for the whole county, and many areas i patroled i had NO radio contact or backup. I had absolutely no concern about being disarmed period. Backup if any, was often provided by some agency that took quite a bit of time to get there. I think the same is true still in parts of arizona, certainly for the border patrol in some areas. Most of the people i had contact with i would have said at the time probably would have covered my butt if needed. But then that was rural arizona. To this day, i have a habit of slowing down or stopping if i see a leo THAT looka like they may need assistence. Course that helps in areas where everybody knows everybody.
Game and fish works with armed people all the time. I don't think i can remember even one of them being shot.
Makes sense to me. Only a nut job would be looking around for an opportunity to mess with someone who's openly armed. Not saying such nut jobs aren't out there, but that they are rare in the extreme. As Travis intimated, it's probably only a legitimate concern when you're in the process of arresting someone who's determined not to be arrested.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I am sure you are referring to AZ because I know of several wardens that have been shot and/or killed the last few years across the country

They, IMHO, have the most dangerous LE jobs

Them and probably border patrol eek

-Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by GSSP
I LOVE Utah and yes I OC, EVERY day. This will be me tomorrow am after I walk out of my local elementary school where I vote.
Alan
[Linked Image]

....Alan, my guess is that even in Utah if you go into an elementary school and polling place on election day armed, you'll be walking out in handcuffs. Of course, I could be wrong.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (405winash, 35, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 8 invisible), 796 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.