Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I really like and have used for years Brownell's Latigo slings.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
THIS is the Butler Creek to have.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For a "shooting sling" for hunting, it's hard to beat the Brownells latigo. Killed a coues deer last weekend slung up in mine...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Nothing listed so far in this thread is a "sling", they are all goddam carry-straps and nothing more. A sling is a military loop sling like they've used a Camp Perry for a century or, better yet, one of Andy Langlois' Ching type-slings, which gives you about 80% of a mil-type slings' stability and is about five times faster to don, therefore emminently suitable for the game fields. Jeff Cooper didn't get everything right, but he's dead accurate on this one. All serious rifles wear Ching Slings, unless they are LR prone guns, and have bipods.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several Precision Long Range rifle instructors at Gunsite dropped the Ching and replaced it with the Pronghorn.

Ask me how I know.

Neither the Pronghorn nor the Ching will give you the stability a military loop sling will.

But both will be 3X times quicker to employ than a 1907 Latigo and will beat any conventional, single strap, carry type sling that can only be used in the hasty method hands down.

Both the Ching and Pronghorn are more than adequate for kill shots at 400 or so in the kneeling, sitting or prone positions. Both offer a benefit in the off-hand position as well.

Latigo slings are fine for competition, practice and for those who hunt open country and have plenty of time to set up their shots.

I used a Latigo for 35 years, and 90% of the time, I never had enough time to get into it to take a shot at game.

YMMV depending on where and how you hunt, but the fact remains that latigos are heavy, cumbersome and slower to get into.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GF1
I really like and have used for years Brownell's Latigo slings.

Ditto.

I don't think they're heavy at all...I don't even notice them. grin

I do like the leather better than any synthetic I've ever used.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/04/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Nothing listed so far in this thread is a "sling", they are all goddam carry-straps and nothing more. A sling is a military loop sling like they've used a Camp Perry for a century or, better yet, one of Andy Langlois' Ching type-slings, which gives you about 80% of a mil-type slings' stability and is about five times faster to don, therefore emminently suitable for the game fields. Jeff Cooper didn't get everything right, but he's dead accurate on this one. All serious rifles wear Ching Slings, unless they are LR prone guns, and have bipods.

Damn, I guess none of my rigs are SERIOUS rifles as most don't even wear a carrying strap, much less a sling.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For what it's worth, my 1" Latigo weighs in at 6 oz. vs. 2.5 oz. for my Uncle Mikes mountain sling.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been using the Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling (now Butler Creek) for 20 years. 3.5 oz's is the average of the half dozen I have. Wouldn't use another, but if I wanted leather and wasn't too concerned with a couple additional ounces, I'd go with Pat's Montana Sling. It's a brilliant design IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I must try one of your slings John. It, like the Safari Ching, is a variation on the same theme as the original Ching.

I should also mention the Sling that the the guys at Rifles Only in TX favor. It is a hybrid mil-loop type that is quicker to don. They made up an UL version for a guy over on the K-board (he has a lot of friends there, I guess) for his Montana 84M.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bearstalker
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Me too. I got one on all my rifles now.

+3. I have two that I sewed the swivels permanently on and they go from rifle to rifle as needed. Going on 20 years with one of them. Light, very flexible, quiet, strong and comfortable to wear.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Damn, I guess none of my rigs are SERIOUS rifles as most don't even wear a carrying strap, much less a sling.

Only too glad to offer whatever sage advice you need to un-[bleep] your gear, Steel. You must hunt where it is dry and flat, and not venture far from the truck, or maybe you are one of those rich safari types who have a gun-bearer?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Only too glad to offer whatever sage advice you need to un-[bleep] your gear, Steel. You must hunt where it is dry and flat, and not venture far from the truck, or maybe you are one of those rich safari types who have a gun-bearer?

"Dry, flat and not far from the truck." Yep, sounds like SE Ak to me. Good call...not.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
dingo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Actually I think one of these two slings might fit the bill. The top one is made by Outdoor Connections and the other by Vero Vellini.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dingo

[Linked Image]

Yeah, but the real question is does using such an ugly sling make a guy look so serious?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Keep guessing, cuzz you suck at that too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Another vote for the Montana sling all I use anymore.

I just picked up my first... Arrived today!

Love the Latigo, as well as military sling though mine is a little heavy.

For a plastic-stocked rifle like the OPs I'd do a black Montana or one of those nylon Mountain slings.

P
P
Message joes64gto. He handcrafts leather slings and they are AMAZING

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28
I only use Montana slings so it would be a black 1" Montana for me.

This...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hoofed it up some pretty steep stuff, and a the type of sling over my shoulder hasn't seemed to make or break a hunt yet. That being said... the next slings I buy will be Pat's. They are a great looking, tough, and useful piece of gear to keep that rig on your shoulder.

For big game killin', the last thing I'd do is start wrapping stuff around my arms and back...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 64 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.