Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
probably loaded in excess of 5000 .300Win mag rounds on Redding FL bushing and regular FL dies and never had a dented shoulder. Dont know what your doing but I doubt the problem is with the dies.

lefty C

GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
I recently bought a T/C venture in 6.5x284 Norma and I need some dies. I usually by Lee dies and I refuse to buy Chinese RCBS. I have it narrowed down to the following dies and was wondering if people here could give some feedback to them in the calibers you load for.

RCBS dies - now made in China? I usually buy Hornady, but will CERTAINLY not consider RCBS if this is true.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found this on the net.

"Quote:
At one time about a year ago RCBS did experiment with having iron castings made in China. After a short period of time they discontinued this. My understanding is all of their iron casting is again done in America.

This is correct. "

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
RCBS Dies are machined from tool steel. They tried doing some iron casting (presses, powder throwers etc.) in China its my understanding they no longer do that. The dies were never made in China. RCBS has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
RCBS Dies are machined from tool steel. They tried doing some iron casting (presses, powder throwers etc.) in China its my understanding they no longer do that. The dies were never made in China. RCBS has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with!

+1 on their CS.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Redding FL rifle dies do not have an air bleed hole like the RCBS dies do and are more likely to dent shoulders.

Sounds like too much lube. If lube is sparingly applied, shoulders shouldn't end up dented.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Redding FL rifle dies do not have an air bleed hole like the RCBS dies do and are more likely to dent shoulders.

Sounds like too much lube. If lube is sparingly applied, shoulders shouldn't end up dented.

DF

Then why does RCBS put in air bleed holes in their FL dies?

Seems to me that it's a borderline situation where just enough lube will get by and just not enough will result in a stuck case and of course too much will dent.

Perhaps air is a factor as well?

I have been lubing and FL cases since 1953 and my old Lyman Eze Loader press uses FL dies with no air bleed hole as well. I have not used that press for FL sizing since I got the RCBS A2 in the 1960's. I FL size every rifle case I load and none of them dent. Too much lube with a RCBS die might result in dents as well if air did not play a roll. I never get dents with RCBS dies.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

DF

Seems to me that it's a borderline situation where just enough lube will get by and just not enough will result in a stuck case and of course too much will dent.

I have been lubing and FL cases since 1953 and my old Lyman Eze Loader press uses FL dies with no air bleed hole as well. I have not used that press for FL sizing since I got the RCBS A2 in the 1960's. I FL size every rifle case I load and none of them dent. Too much lube with a RCBS die might result in dents as well if air did not play a roll. I never get dents with RCBS dies.

I never get dents with any dies and I have more than 75 sets of REDDING dies... I have experienced dents from over-lubed cases years ago when I was a novice reloader... But my reloading has gotten noticably better since I discovered Imperial Sizing Die Wax about 25 yrs ago. If fact it has worked so well, that I threw away all my old RCBS lubricant AND my RCBS Lube pad... smile (With NO regrets, I might add...) grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

So people using too much case lube won't mash dents in the shoulders... blush

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Grasshopper

DF

I never get dents with any dies and I have more than 75 sets of REDDING dies... I have experienced dents from over-lubed cases years ago when I was a novice reloader... But my reloading has gotten noticably better since I discovered Imperial Sizing Die Wax about 25 yrs ago. If fact it has worked so well, that I threw away all my old RCBS lubricant AND my RCBS Lube pad... smile (With NO regrets, I might add...) grin

GH

+1

My experience and solution, exactly.

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I still haven't bought dies for the 6.5x284 venture you found for me either. Let me know when you decide what to go with. I think the expander ball stays centered better on reddings but I like the air bleed hole and customer service on the RCBS dies.

My new hornady 6.5 creedmoor dies actually aren't too bad. They came with an extra amax seater that seats vld's well without the tip bottoming out in the seater stem. The expander ball stem is threaded a bit now do it doesn't slip so easy and the hornady lock rings are the best. Plus I sent in the rebate and got a free box of bullets worth almost what the dies cost.

Bb

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 59 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.