Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone considering the shotgun action conversion TO RIFLE WITHOUT DECIDING TO BUSH THE STRIKER HOLES TO A SMALLER, MORE SUPPORTIVE DIAMETER let me point out 2 things.

A 45 COLT 280 gr SAA over 8.0 gr Unique will come out at 1,100 fps and cause wonderful damage to test media. Calculated pressure at 16K and life is good.

HOWEVER, FOR THE 30-30, 173gr cast FN using 10gr unique has a calculated velocity at 1470 and pressure at 30K.

The chrony read 1472, and the stock wrist splitting from the primer rupture says that 30K is too damn high for rifle primers over an unbushed firing pin hole.

The action is still OK, and the wrist split is minimal - but it could have been worse. Thank God for lead sleds, safety glasses and whatever else He gave me today.

Save any criticism, please. I just want folks to know before they jump.
If you want any other specifics, ask away....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And yes, Dave & Nate, the colt is working fine. I will fix the stock, complete the regulation and kill a deer with it before season's over.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

Want pics of my shorts in addition to the stock and rupture? laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Merkel's being doing it for years.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the warning, I am very intrigued by the idea. Did you build the rifle yourself or have it done?

A good quality double trigger 20 SxS, Prince of Wales grip and semi beavertail forend with an extra set of 9.3x74 barrels has me most curious.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pics of just the rifle and damage, please smile

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Merkel's being doing it for years.

?? never seen one of their double rifles without bushed pins? I owned two of them? 9.4x74 and a .470NE

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IF you ever feel the need to trade off that 9.3x74, PM me.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
rifle - your chrony is safe as well. I'm going to check my Weatherby 30-06, then ship it back. My 30-30 testing is done for a while. wink

IC B3

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Did you build the rifle yourself or have it done?

Dsink did my 45 colt, and vapodog did my 30-30. Both are great craftsmen.

The 30-30 was a total monobloc build and I did all the final shaping, cutting of lumps, etc by hand - with files, dremel and lots of time.

The Colt barrels were threaded to a cutoff monoblock, and again, final fit all by hand.

The quarter ribs, front sights, and stock/forearm work are being done by hand as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old Stevens 311 16 ga that my dad left me. I have heard they make reliable donor actions for double rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I have an old Stevens 311 16 ga that my dad left me. I have heard they make reliable donor actions for double rifles.

My only concern with the stevens is there is only one fastener on the breech face.

The Zastava M75 has two lumps under neath and most have a third fastener on the breech face.

But given todays physics lesson, I may be the last "expert" you need to consult on that.

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK - primer ruptured is a CCI mil spec LR primer
Other's shown are Win LRP I used before on some lighter loads. I switched to the MilSpec in hopes that they were less resistant to rupture. (irony)
[Linked Image]

And the stock damage:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, quite an explosion.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you are still with us.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Something like handgun cartridges are much less of a worry, but when you get to the higher pressure centerfire rifle cartridges, there's a lot more than just bushing the firing pins that you need to be aware of. I'd recommend you buy the book on the subject and study up; had you done so, you could have avoided the issue you ran into. Making double rifles is FAR more than just putting a set of rifle barrels on a double action.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

The action is still OK, and the wrist split is minimal...

Yeah,..but how did the bullets group..? grin

You gonna need another round of pulls..?

wink

So I'm still not sure what happened..?

Primer ruptured and then what..?

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Something like handgun cartridges are much less of a worry, but when you get to the higher pressure centerfire rifle cartridges, there's a lot more than just bushing the firing pins that you need to be aware of. I'd recommend you buy the book on the subject and study up; had you done so, you could have avoided the issue you ran into. Making double rifles is FAR more than just putting a set of rifle barrels on a double action.

I bought the book. And this project has been going on a lot longer than just calling up a few guys to put rifle barrels on a double action.

Amongst spending time early on calculating hoop stress and deciding on cartridges to use, and consulting a few folks for suggestions, I decided in order to avoid the necessity of creating the enclosed striker bushing needed in a standard load, I should keep the pressures LOW.

I decided to go with cast which responds better terminally to the slower velocity and subsequent lower pressures, hoping in case of the 30-30 to achieve 1500 fps. I consulted some tables of calculated data since test data for pressure using cast in the 1,500 area is limited and assumed that I could reach my target without getting high enough to blow.

I was wrong, apparently. Plain and simple.

Of course, I'm not so sure there wasn't some other issue involved, because I had fired 150gr standard loads in this contraption before, numerous times, without a failure, and in those cases, the table values were indicating that I should have been in the 33K+ range. Who knows.

In this case, I started at 8 and went up in increments. Didn't get any primer cratering till I hit 9.0 - and should have stopped there, however it wasn't near as bad as it was in the standard loads, which cratered to the point of locking in - so I carried on. To go from mild crater to catastrophic failure certainly caught me off guard.

Did I double charge? I don't think so. Using a Lee Loader, but still weighing the charges, and doing one shell at a time, inverting before pouring powder.

Could it have been the relatively low powder to case capacity issue? Probably not. People have been using 10gr Unique and 170 cast and never reported an issue.

Freak primer?

bug in the barrel?

I can only relay what I know to be accurate, and that is 10 grains of unique - which calculates under quickload to be about 30K did this.

So, it wasn't necessarily as flippant as you make it sound re: just putting rifle barrels on a double action.

LATE ADD:

The "Book" by Brown indicates "If the cartridge I have selected is pushing 44,000 PSI or greater, then I should probably seriously consider bushing the strikers" (process described later).

The minute I realized he was optimistic, that's when I decided to try and stay lower.

Worked on the colt project.....

Last edited by RWE; 11/05/12.
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

So I'm still not sure what happened..?

Primer ruptured and then what..?

vented gas came back through the ruptured primer, around the firing pin and into the action and cracked the stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 17 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,957
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.