Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Federal Grant Money I am fairly certain. Local and State not so much on that stuff fiscally.

Nope. Stuff you can put on a weapon is about the ONLY thing you can't buy with Fed Grant funds.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Greyghost
hearing protection...whaddaya wooried about ? Your Osama will save you.

And your Romney if somehow elected will destroy this Country!
Just watch, but you all wanted it... heaven help us you might just get it!

But I'm still betin I'll be trying some new Barnes Busters soon after it's all over! grin

Phil

WTF, too much koolaid? If Obama hasn't made best work of destruction of the US, I damn sure don't know who has. Of course the views coming out of Kalifornia, are just like those of Europe( that must seem normal to Kevin Gibson also for some reason). IE they've been blindfolded so long they no longer realize what freedom is and can mean. But are addicted to a nanny state sucking hind teat

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Have somebody bust a few rounds off from an unsuppressed M4 inside beside you and you will immediately have your answer.

Or a few of them. It get's loud until the ringing takes over.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Federal Grant Money I am fairly certain. Local and State not so much on that stuff fiscally.

Nope. Stuff you can put on a weapon is about the ONLY thing you can't buy with Fed Grant funds.

yeah, they're more into armored cars and diversity coordinators than stuff that goes bang

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
$1300 for a one time charge is MUCH cheaper than disability payments for hearing loss.

Not to be argumentative or anything, but hearing loss is not generally considered disabling.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How do you figure?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Greyghost
An article in this mornings paper was describing numerous surrounding city's opting for a larger better trained combined SWAT forces due to budget restraints! It's Cheaper!

Described members installing $1,300 silencers on their M16's, saying that they both restrain recoil blast and help to hide the flash...

Typical non-gun person's attempt to write for the press release. Suppressors are devices that do just that: suppress blast and muzzle flash. Recoil is obviously not a major concern with 5.56mm rounds out of an 8-pound rifle.

Suppressors are a virtual necessity for SWAT because so much of their/our shooting is done indoors... both training and ops. If you have never been in an enclosed room when two or three guys let off unsuppressed 3-round bursts simultaneously, you ought to get some buddies together and try it sometime. Trust me, even with plugs and muffs, your ears will be ringing for several hours thereafter.

Suppressors are simply good for SWAT cops' occupational health... OSHA's gonna be mandating them soon, I hear, it's buried in the back pages of the Obamacare bill right there with the Cloaking Devices for the black helicopters being built for the Healthcare Police...

grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by sse

Not to be argumentative or anything, but hearing loss is not generally considered disabling.

Not to be argumentative, but that is total bullsh!t. Check with the VA or OSHA about hearing loss disability before you enture your uninformed opinion next time.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If the loss is less than full, while a medical condition, there's not much that would prevent one from doing.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Doc, you may have a grasp of the medical issues, but not the legal issues.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I don't need to know about the legal issues to know that I have several patients with partial or total hearing loss who receive disability pensions from the VA and LEA's for hearing loss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting theory.

What's more interesting is that the entire medical community, the VA, OSHA, and most employers out there would disagree.

Not to mention the millions that are in fact disabled by partial hearing loss.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse
Doc, you may have a grasp of the medical issues, but not the legal issues.

What's the legal definition of a disability?

Turdlike, by default.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
OT, and tedious, but it depends on what standard is being applied. There's a million of them. There are millions of people with compromised hearing who are gainfully employed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was in Hong Kong years ago. Cops there where highly respected by the community and carried no weapons at all except a billy. Citizens had knives, clubs, spears maybe, bricks and rocks and chitt. Somehow it worked out.

Not really interested in emulating the Hong Kong model myself but the ongoing morphing of police power into military assault capability is not my cup of tea either. Having a little bit of a problem seeing the need for mufflers on SWAT weapons....but maybe it makes their twig 'n berries look bigger. Just a guess.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by sse
OT, and tedious, but it depends on what standard is being applied. There's a million of them. There are millions of people with compromised hearing who are gainfully employed.

And there are millions of people missing arms and legs and eyes and with severe disfigurement who are gainfully employed, and they're receiving disability pensions too.

You asserted that hearing loss was not "generally considered to be disabling". You said nothing about "total disability", which I infer now is what you meant, and if that was in fact your point, I wouldn't argue with you.

My point is that partial disability is still a liability to the employer, and adds to the cost of running the business/agency. Preventing hearing loss by the use of suppressors and other hearing protection equipment reduces the incidence of hearing damage, hence the incidence and prevalence of hearing loss and disability claims related to it.

Not to be argumentative here, though... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado
Couldn't we save a lot of money on SWAT teams if we just sent the Rangers, Seals or Marine Recons in?

Nope.The guys you mention are trained to make their mission their priority.

SWAT TEAMS,like other LEO's,are trained that "officer safety is paramount".At least that's what I keep reading in the newspapers when LEO's really screw the pooch.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by sse

And there are millions of people missing arms and legs and eyes and with severe disfigurement who are gainfully employed, and they're receiving disability pensions too.

You asserted that hearing loss was not "generally considered to be disabling". You said nothing about "total disability", which I infer now is what you meant, and if that was in fact your point, I wouldn't argue with you.

My point is that partial disability is still a liability to the employer, and adds to the cost of running the business/agency. Preventing hearing loss by the use of suppressors and other hearing protection equipment reduces the incidence of hearing damage, hence the incidence and prevalence of hearing loss and disability claims related to it.

Not to be argumentative here, though... grin

Gotta agree with this, even the non-argumentative part... grin

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Likely AR15's btw. Not many rock and roll toys in the arsenals.

You might be surprised to know where all those old M16s have ended up. I know of one small county sheriffs office here in Arkansas that has 3 A1s that are on permanent loan from the feds. The 3 M14s they have interest me more.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Bad comparison for a variety of reasons. While there are always exceptions, hearing loss, even if total, generally does not disable one from working, though it may qualify them for a given 'benefit', depending on which payor and what standard is being applied, whether contained in an insurance contract or statute.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 18 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,627
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.