-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I went to Europe in 1991 the only place that served warm beer was in Berlin and that was during a hot spell. The rest of the time it "cellar cool" which was fine.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We have a Brewmaster here at the Fire who makes some really fine beer with real flavor. Perhaps he will chime in.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
All I can say is thank goodness for Ayinger and Spaten -
If not for them I would not drink much beer.

edit - but Sprecher is good, anybody headed South willing to
bring? smile

Last edited by jeffdwhite; 11/06/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We're not the only makers of crappy light rice filled lagers and seltzer water pale ales worldwide. There's plenty of soap suds beers in Europe: Heineken, Becks, Birra Moretti being only a few horrible green bottle beers. Asia is even worse in that respect.
At least the beer scene in the US is getting better thanks to microbrews. I can finally get a beer that's darker than cheap ginger ale, which would have been nearly impossible prior to 1985 or so. Of course the majority of the market seems to be triple hopped soap suds these days, but at least there's good availability of malty marzens,porters, doppelbocks, triples,quads and stouts in the US now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
IMO, Americans have only liked beer in the last 20 years. Before that, it was brewed to a neutral palate and served ice cold to avoid any hint of beer taste. All the breweries brewed to a virtually identical palate to compete for the mass market.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
All I can say is thank goodness for Ayinger and Spaten -
If not for them I would not drink much beer.

They are good over here, but on site in Munich they're superb.

The hotel where I stayed several times was owned by the Ayinger brewery, and their little bar always had a fresh keg on tap. The Hofbrauhaus was across the street. Augustiner, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner, and Schneider beer halls were all a short walk away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
IMO, Americans have only liked beer in the last 20 years. Before that, it was brewed to a neutral palate and served ice cold to avoid any hint of beer taste. All the breweries brewed to a virtually identical palate to compete for the mass market.

Again, I will reference "Ambitious Brew". Breweries made such beer because that is what the consumers bought. Other styles died out.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Europe has come a long way. When I lived there 25 years ago, beer was served warm. When I was there this past summer, they now serve it cold in most restaurants.

Where in Europe, and what precisely does warm mean?

Americans accustomed to mass market dreck think anything above 32 degrees F is warm. They want their taste buds anesthetized by the cold, it protects them from the flavor.

Germany/Austria and warm means room temperature from Late spring to early fall.

I was there in late July and August this year and I didn't have a single warm beer, despite temps in the high 70's.

That would have been unheard of in Germany in the 1980's other than perhaps the larger cities where American tourists visited, such as Munich.

This was one of the biggest changes I saw since I lived there. Refrigeration has been embraced fully by the Germans in the past 25 years. You may have found cellar cooled beer or refrigerated beer/kegs in some large Brauhaus in Munich in the 1980's or some large restaurant that catered to tourists, but it was not the norm in the average Gasthaus or fest.

Same with Coca Cola, they've discovered refrigeration and ice!, but you no longer get a wedge of lemon in your Coke everywhere. frown

Hell, here's something you most definitely wouldn't have seen in Germany in 1985. Chilled singles in an American style display cooler in an Autobahn rest stop. You know, for when you need a beer before you finish driving 120mph from Frankfort to Munich. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Garrett Oliver sees it as the fallout of Prohibition followed by the Great Depression.

My thoughts too

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Europe has come a long way. When I lived there 25 years ago, beer was served warm. When I was there this past summer, they now serve it cold in most restaurants.

Where in Europe, and what precisely does warm mean?

Americans accustomed to mass market dreck think anything above 32 degrees F is warm. They want their taste buds anesthetized by the cold, it protects them from the flavor.

Germany/Austria and warm means room temperature from Late spring to early fall.

I was there in late July and August this year and I didn't have a single warm beer, despite temps in the high 70's.

That would have been unheard of in Germany in the 1980's other than perhaps the larger cities where American tourists visited, such as Munich.

This was one of the biggest changes I saw since I lived there. Refrigeration has been embraced fully by the Germans in the past 25 years. You may have found cellar cooled beer or refrigerated beer/kegs in some large Brauhaus in Munich in the 1980's or some large restaurant that catered to tourists, but it was not the norm in the average Gasthaus or fest.

Same with Coca Cola, they've discovered refrigeration and ice!, but you no longer get a wedge of lemon in your Coke everywhere. frown

Hell, here's something you most definitely wouldn't have seen in Germany in 1985. Chilled singles in an American style display cooler in an Autobahn rest stop. You know, for when you need a beer before you finish driving 120mph from Frankfort to Munich. wink

[Linked Image]

I see that Faxe 10 in there, got a few cans of that in the beer fridge at the moment. One of my favorites, but given my advanced age and lack of resilience I don't usually pop one of those half liter cans unless I've got not much else to do for a while.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe that mule has a kidney problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Pasteurization, cooler rail cars and a nation wide market. Only pasteurized dishwater would travel well thus piss poor lager beer.

Look up the history of the original India Pale Ale. It had to travel a bit.

Man, I love a great IPA...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am hooked on IPA's. It's getting ri-[bleep]-diculous.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Profit, and I'd check at the schaefer factory for the rest of the answer. sick

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pugs

Just glad that since Bert Grant (re)started the micro revolution in the early 80's we now have an amazing variety of great stuff.

Poor old Anchor Brewing Co never gets any respect - Fritz Maytag had a steam beer (from the 19th century), an IPA, a porter and a barley wine by 1975.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Just glad that since Bert Grant (re)started the micro revolution in the early 80's we now have an amazing variety of great stuff.

Poor old Anchor Brewing Co never gets any respect - Fritz Maytag had a steam beer (from the 19th century), an IPA, a porter and a barley wine by 1975.

And I love them all, especially the Porter but I have always thought of Anchor as a macro brewer and Bert started the modern Micro that had a whole lot less capital invested and enabled a lot of innovation.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think part of it is that people like it that way. The guy in Homer Alaska that runs the Homer Brewing Company is a good example. The guy makes a great porter and a KILLER red ale... but I asked him what his favorite is and he said he likes his bitter the best. It just tastes like a light beer. A good light beer, but not all that better than Coor's Light in my opinion. I think my jaw dropped when he answered that.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

They get respect in my house. Anchor Steam and Liberty Ale are always welcome in my fridge.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason the big breweries produce something akin to making love in a canoe is the same reason Walmart has made billions of dollars. Most Americans are adicted to buying cheap crap vs. quality products.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And I love them all, especially the Porter but I have always thought of Anchor as a macro brewer and Bert started the modern Micro that had a whole lot less capital invested and enabled a lot of innovation.

Well, consider that Maytag got 51% of Anchor for a couple grand, and that when he bought out the rest of the partners, the brewery was producing 600 barrels of beer a year. Well below the threshold of the as yet uninvented term "micro brewery". Current production puts them over "micro" status, but at the 100,000 barrel range they're not even in the top 10 craft brewers.

Just got to back my man Fritz, as there just wasn't a whole lot of US made IPA or barley wine happening when I became seriously interested in beer in the mid 80's (bless you Chuck Hiigel).

Scott

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10gaugemag, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 160user, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 3,375 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,740
Posts18,535,365
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.