Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
Just wondering as I have some 6.5 120`s I bought when I could not get Nozler 120`s at the time.Thanks ahead, Huntz

Hit a little meat buck [7pt IIRC] on a bet at a touch over 500 yards with a 208 gr A-Max from my ole 300 Win Mag, he was DRT with a fist sized exit in the ribs.

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Matt

You are makin too much sence for an innernet forum

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ldholton
well damn matchking arent lead cored ?

SMK's are an OTM (open tip match) bullet and while I have killed a lot of deer with them, and would again, they are a bit inconsistent in tissue. A-Max's on the other hand are phenomenal medium game bullets if you desire quick expansion and are very consistent in performance.

For someone to say that A-Max's are "match" bullets and are not "hunting" bullets is just willful ignorance or downright BS. They are constructed identically, if not softer, than quite a few "hunting" bullets. One could say that they do not care for the tissue damage that A-Max's produce and that would be understandable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first gen Rem Ti .308 loves the 168 grain A-Max and it worked well on my first antelope that I shot facing me at 400ish yards. He was running away and stopped at the top of a rise and it was one of those shoot quick now or he's gone situations. Hit him high and almost beheaded him.

[Linked Image]

Shoot 'em heavy for caliber at longish ranges in vital areas and they are devestating on game, I believe.

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would lean toward the 140 grain A-Max with the 6.5 myself. I have used the 140 AMax (6.5), 162 AMax (7mm), and 168 AMax (TAP Ammo).
All good results.
308 in action at 350 yards. Don't usually use a 308, but used a friend's MOA Maximum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFaf...orites&list=FLfEoqqK-q7iARmKwk742NZg

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by 65BR
FWIW, in the Amax, MY fav is the 140gr in 6.5, the 120/123s may be all the more explosive, higher speed, less lead...

I dropped a buck at 400 yds w/a 105 from a 6BR.

The 123s have been doing deer well from slower rounds like a 6.5 Grendel.

What round you using/how fast are you pushing it, and what is your average shot distance?

I am using a 6.5X55 in a Ruger 77.The spot where I am going to hunt this year will give me shots from a few yards to about 250.

If you do go w/120s, I'd avoid shoulders to allow the bullet more chance to penetrate, esp if your shot is close, and your MV high. Again, my 6BR at 2850mv w/105 dropped another deer seconds before the one at 400 yds, it was at 200, I aimed for the spine, the bullet VAPORIZED, all mass was like grains of lead sand, 2" max penetration.

THAT is why I always say no heavy bone w/light amax/high speed/close shots. They will kill, but I'd go lung or neck shots personally, and even killed one w/a head shot at 45 yds....DRT of course.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xphunter
308 in action at 350 yards. Don't usually use a 308, but used a friend's MOA Maximum.
Nice shot!

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Quoted directly from Hornady's web site "A-MAX� NOW featuring AMP� bullet jackets!

Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...
�Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
�Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
�These bullets are not recommended for hunting."

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

A hole in the heart or lungs = dead

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks.
I have dropped game from 100 yards to beyond 1K with A-Max's.
So far they have worked for me.

Originally Posted by 406_SBC
Originally Posted by xphunter
Nice shot!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think what might be happening is that the A max is evolving. I'm not advocating using or not using. I'm just trying to provide info to the general forum here.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by ldholton
well damn matchking arent lead cored ?

SMK's are an OTM (open tip match) bullet and while I have killed a lot of deer with them, and would again, they are a bit inconsistent in tissue. A-Max's on the other hand are phenomenal medium game bullets if you desire quick expansion and are very consistent in performance.

For someone to say that A-Max's are "match" bullets and are not "hunting" bullets is just willful ignorance or downright BS. They are constructed identically, if not softer, than quite a few "hunting" bullets. One could say that they do not care for the tissue damage that A-Max's produce and that would be understandable.
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Quoted directly from Hornady's web site "A-MAX� NOW featuring AMP™ bullet jackets!

Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...
•Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
•Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
•These bullets are not recommended for hunting."
um guess the guys making them are ful of BS and ingorant

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before the AMP jacket came out, the A-Max bullet was recommended for small to medium game...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
There are reasons that Hornady does not state that A-Max's are for hunting. None of them are because they are unsuitable. The AMP jacketed ones perform exactly like the old ones in tissue.

I will tell you that several of the big wigs at Hornady have and do use them on game. Believe what you want. We have killed hundreds of deer with them. I always find it interesting when those who have zero experience argue with those who are very experienced with something....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
very experianced here , seen your website , I will leave it at that while I am LMAO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll repeat myself...

Originally Posted by MattMan
I'd avoid shoulder bone with the 120s, but wouldn't leave them at home.

I can also tell you there are several coues and antelope that had no idea the AMAX was not recommended for game, and up and f'n died anyway when a 6.5/140 AMAX rapidly and soundly liquefied their innards...

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are reasons that Hornady does not state that A-Max's are for hunting. None of them are because they are unsuitable. The AMP jacketed ones perform exactly like the old ones in tissue.

I will tell you that several of the big wigs at Hornady have and do use them on game. Believe what you want. We have killed hundreds of deer with them. I always find it interesting when those who have zero experience argue with those who are very experienced with something....

I don't doubt that, and I find them perfectly suitable myself as well, but I'm curious what reasons you might be alluding to? I'm not necessarily saying that the AMP jackets were the cause for removing the recommendation to use the A-Max on game, but simply that the two occurences curiously happened at the same time.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The 168 A-Max is a very good deer and hog bullet
Read this: www.ballisticstudies.com. The knowledge base section.
Real world experience.
I have a buddy that uses the 168A-Max in a Rem LTR and he has made 46-- 1 shot kills on deer and hogs. Largest hog was 546#@ 200yds. Longest shot on a hog was 427yds on a 200+#er.

Coach

Last edited by Old Coach; 11/09/12.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[quote=Formidilosus]

I don't doubt that, and I find them perfectly suitable myself as well, but I'm curious what reasons you might be alluding to? I'm not necessarily saying that the AMP jackets were the cause for removing the recommendation to use the A-Max on game, but simply that the two occurences curiously happened at the same time.

Think military and LE.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[quote=Formidilosus]

Think military and LE.

Ahh...makes sense. Kinda similar to the Sierra Matchkings.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

311 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,428
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.