Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
We did things a bit differently this year, to save the horses a bit. Last year We rode about four hours each morning to the top of the mountain, and then rode back to camp each night. This year we packed in and set up a tent.

Last year we had daytime highs of fifty degrees and bright clear sunshine each day. To say the least, the weather was a bit different this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The snow was deep enough to seriously impede our movement. But my buddy spotted an elk on the ridge across the creek from camp on the afternoon of opening day. He was carrying my 12x50 Nikon action extreme binoculars which showed antlers plainly. The bull was about 400 yards and 20 degrees uphill from us. My buddy tried a shot from kneeling and missed, I tried a shot from standing (yeah...right...HA) and missed. My buddy missed twice more with his 7mm BAR with open sights while I was looking for a rest. The bull just stood and watched us.

I moved laterally to the sapling on the right side of this photo and took another shot with my Ruger #1 in 7STW.
[Linked Image]

The bull looked like I hit him hard, but when he moved it became obvious that he was hit in the rear. Butchering would reveal that the Hornady 162 gr btsp had entered the meatiest part of the right ham and traversed the kidney area, then came to rest under the hide over the midpoint of the left back strap. The right ham and left back strap were cut in half, but no bones had been broken.

With the bull hit hard, but still not moving away from us, I felt confident enough to advance toward the bull to find a better rest. This rock was about forty yards in front of me.
[Linked Image]
and afforded the support I needed. Except the bull had turned straight away from me. All I could see through the Burris FFII 4-12x42 was his yellow butt.

I reloaded and shot four times in an attempt to break the bull's pelvis. At the fourth shot he staggered and fell down and began thrashing his head back and forth. For the first time, in the scope, I could finally see the mass of his antlers as he tossed his head back and forth.

The bull struggled back to his feet and finally turned to give me the side view I had been wishing for. At my next shot, my seventh, the bull finally collapsed.

Here is my buddy admiring the carcass.
[Linked Image]

This pic more plainly shows the shot which must have knocked him down temporarily. Note the chunk of antler missing on the left side. and also the deformity of the right antler.

[Linked Image]

I am certainly not bragging on my marksmanship this year. Of the four shots I took, trying to hit the pelvis, one caused the crease high on the right side, one hit the left antler, one hit the left ham, and one glanced off of the back bone just over the root of the tail.

But here he is all packaged up and ready to pack down to the rig. We put a little over three hundred pounds of the leanest elk meat I ever saw into the freezer, and about twenty five pounds of bloodshot or trim in for the dog's treats.
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Idaho_Shooter/DSCF0911.jpg[/img]

Honorable mention goes to my Coleman Holofill II mummy bag for keeping me warm at nights which did not miss zero by much. A new Century single mantle propane lantern inside the tent, lessened the chill, SLIGHTLY, during the night. A new Minox 8x40 monocular (from Doug)was light and handy to carry. But the built in compass froze solid and was inoperable for the duration of the trip.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations! Glad you scored. Looks kinda cold up there.

Unit 39??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to hear a hunting story that isn't the usual bang flop that seems to be always accomplished from at least a thousand yards away.

Good on ya.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoyed your report...and turned the heat up a little. grin

Thanks for sharing this with us. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
IF BULLETS DONT FLY-Meat don't fry

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Congratulations! Glad you scored. Looks kinda cold up there.

Unit 39??

L.W.

32A,

About 400 yds from the five point I got last year.

My family has been putting meat in the freezer from this ridge since 1950. My first trip up was in 1962. From where I killed this bull, we viewed about thirty head of cows, calves, and a couple spikes at three hundred yards the day before. The afternoon before our season opened.

The elk have become so heavily populated in this area that we see very little deer sign up on top. The area used to be infested with mulies and the elk were very sparce.

I imagine that wolves are largely resonsible for pushing the elk herds out of the very remote country, and into this area. And, of course, lots of surrounding territory was burned off this summer.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A bit of truth in reporting is refreshing. Eat hearty.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Congrats

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
The most interesting part of this hunt was that a nice mature bull, just stood and watched us as we shot and missed four or five times. (I lost track of how many shots my buddy took).

Looking at the ivories and at the carcass indicates to us the bull was at least ten years old.

After he was hit, he wanted to leave, but was up against a six foot tall boulder in front of him, and what appeared to be a light game trail beside it. But advancing on the trail would have required him to step up and over a three foot ledge covered in thick brush and deep snow.

I suspect that he did not have the strength to do that after the hit to his ham and back. We were just grateful that he did not turn and stumble down the incline as that would have made the carcass much more difficult to recover.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congrats on the bull but not sure I'd be too proud of the piss poor shot selection.

Your buddy was shooting open sights at 400 yards kneeling and you were shooting standing?

Sorry to rain on your parade but jeebus.....

Anyhow, nice bull and glad you (luckily) recovered him.

Maybe this was all tongue in cheek and I took the bait.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
We did things a bit differently this year, to save the horses a bit. Last year We rode about four hours each morning to the top of the mountain, and then rode back to camp each night. This year we packed in and set up a tent.

Last year we had daytime highs of fifty degrees and bright clear sunshine each day. To say the least, the weather was a bit different this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The snow was deep enough to seriously impede our movement. But my buddy spotted an elk on the ridge across the creek from camp on the afternoon of opening day. He was carrying my 12x50 Nikon action extreme binoculars which showed antlers plainly. The bull was about 400 yards and 20 degrees uphill from us. My buddy tried a shot from kneeling and missed, I tried a shot from standing (yeah...right...HA) and missed. My buddy missed twice more with his 7mm BAR with open sights while I was looking for a rest. The bull just stood and watched us.

I moved laterally to the sapling on the right side of this photo and took another shot with my Ruger #1 in 7STW.
[Linked Image]

The bull looked like I hit him hard, but when he moved it became obvious that he was hit in the rear. Butchering would reveal that the Hornady 162 gr btsp had entered the meatiest part of the right ham and traversed the kidney area, then came to rest under the hide over the midpoint of the left back strap. The right ham and left back strap were cut in half, but no bones had been broken.

With the bull hit hard, but still not moving away from us, I felt confident enough to advance toward the bull to find a better rest. This rock was about forty yards in front of me.
[Linked Image]
and afforded the support I needed. Except the bull had turned straight away from me. All I could see through the Burris FFII 4-12x42 was his yellow butt.

I reloaded and shot four times in an attempt to break the bull's pelvis. At the fourth shot he staggered and fell down and began thrashing his head back and forth. For the first time, in the scope, I could finally see the mass of his antlers as he tossed his head back and forth.

The bull struggled back to his feet and finally turned to give me the side view I had been wishing for. At my next shot, my seventh, the bull finally collapsed.

Here is my buddy admiring the carcass.
[Linked Image]

This pic more plainly shows the shot which must have knocked him down temporarily. Note the chunk of antler missing on the left side. and also the deformity of the right antler.

[Linked Image]

I am certainly not bragging on my marksmanship this year. Of the four shots I took, trying to hit the pelvis, one caused the crease high on the right side, one hit the left antler, one hit the left ham, and one glanced off of the back bone just over the root of the tail.

But here he is all packaged up and ready to pack down to the rig. We put a little over three hundred pounds of the leanest elk meat I ever saw into the freezer, and about twenty five pounds of bloodshot or trim in for the dog's treats.
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/Idaho_Shooter/DSCF0911.jpg[/img]

Honorable mention goes to my Coleman Holofill II mummy bag for keeping me warm at nights which did not miss zero by much. A new Century single mantle propane lantern inside the tent, lessened the chill, SLIGHTLY, during the night. A new Minox 8x40 monocular (from Doug)was light and handy to carry. But the built in compass froze solid and was inoperable for the duration of the trip.

Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Idaho Shooter, 32A. Thanks for the info. Some of that steep, rugged, snowy country in your pictures looks very similar to some places in Unit 39 where I've hunted.

I've not hunted 32A. Glad you scored an elk.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Now there's a story for a winter's night! Congratulations on the elk. For many years I had a dream about hunting an elk, but now time has passed me by, which makes your story so much more enjoyable.

Those winter scenes remind me (here he goes again) of the bear hunt my friend and I went on back when the world was young. We crossed a bridge over the swollen north fork of the Salmon River that washed out just as my car made the opposite bank. That was bad enough but a blizzard hit that dumped 184 inches of snow on the summit of the Siskiyou Mountains in three days. We were nearly stranded until the following spring, but luckily a snow plow pulled us out on the last day they worked the pass. Better to enjoy stories like yours than attempt such adventures these days.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 11/12/12.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 54 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,869
Posts18,497,528
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.