Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#7050063 - 11/07/12 Ammo hoarding?  
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 532
HE112 Offline
Campfire Regular
HE112  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 532
I wanted to protect myself so I stocked up on primers and some powder before the election, I hand load for 3 cartridges. I did not have trouble getting things, is that because the original hoarders are fully stocked, or were people confident that Romney would win?

I am wondering if I should shoot what I have now, what do you guys think?


CMG 300 BP

#7050737 - 11/07/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: HE112]  
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 455
PaulDaisy Offline
Campfire Regular
PaulDaisy  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 455
Colorado
Stock up.

#7054665 - 11/08/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: PaulDaisy]  
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 352
Tombstone Offline
Campfire Regular
Tombstone  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 352
Chandler Arizona
I remember ammo hard to come by in 2008 and 2009 here in AZ. Who knows, there may be another run on it again. You must have bought your stuff at the right time.


"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp
#7056203 - 11/08/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: Tombstone]  
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,208
WyoCoyoteHunter Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WyoCoyoteHunter  Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,208
Carbon Co. Wyoming
Before I retired in '99, I had realized loading stuff never gets cheaper and never spoils..with that in mind, I bought all the reloading supplies I could lay hands on or had $ to afford..The only down side to this is, new things have come along and I would like to give them a try, but they cost much more than the stuff I already have, and if I buy them, I won't be shooting the supplies I already have..one can never have too many guns or too much ammo to use in them..

#7057402 - 11/08/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: WyoCoyoteHunter]  
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 532
HE112 Offline
Campfire Regular
HE112  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 532
One blessing of my shooting hobby is that I am also into pellet guns and black powder muzzle loading. This is what I mostly shot in 2009, was thinking this morning that I will have to stick with it and use my .22 rim fire guns very sparingly as the .22's were not easy to get in 2009 either.

This is one way to keep the wear and tear down on my center fire guns.

Alpha

#7057638 - 11/08/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: HE112]  
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,120
bluesman Offline
Campfire Regular
bluesman  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,120
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have stocked up on .22 LR ammo, have 8,000 in air tight ammo cans. Fortunately I have been addicted to reloading for 50 years so I have enough ammunition to last my lifetime unless there is a shooting war right here in the USA. That said nobody can ever have too much 9mm, .45 acp, .30-06, .30-30, .308, .223, 12 gauge, .44 or .41 magnum. Keep loading - keep shooting.

#7061448 - 11/10/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: bluesman]  
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 133
paulfish4570 Offline
Member
paulfish4570  Offline
Member

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 133
alabama, on the warrior river
my youngest son's best friend has stockpiled 9,000 rounds of .223, and 20-30 mags for his ar. he is still buying ...


paul foreman
#7063497 - 11/10/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: paulfish4570]  
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 14,999
Bigbuck215 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Bigbuck215  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 14,999
Billings, Mt and proud of it ...
Originally Posted by paulfish4570
my youngest son's best friend has stockpiled 9,000 rounds of .223, and 20-30 mags for his ar. he is still buying ...


That ain't hoarding.... smile


The Mayans had it right. If youíre going to predict the future, itís best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.


#7066826 - 11/11/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: Bigbuck215]  
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,859
Take_a_knee Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Take_a_knee  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,859
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by paulfish4570
my youngest son's best friend has stockpiled 9,000 rounds of .223, and 20-30 mags for his ar. he is still buying ...


That ain't hoarding.... smile


Yep, that's just bein' smart.

#7107719 - 11/24/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: Take_a_knee]  
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 231
PeaEye Offline
Member
PeaEye  Offline
Member

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 231
New Mexico
I'm confident Obama's not going to go after guns and ammo, because doing so would be a political disaster for the Dems. Even if he wanted to, there is no way he can do so. He doesn't control the House and he's not going to. The GOP margin in the House is 44 seats. Enough of the Dems in the Senate, including our just elected Martin Heinrich from NM, are solid gun rights people, that nothing bad on guns will get through the Senate. I didn't think there was any reason for concern the first time, and the Dems have less power now than they did in Obama's first 2 years. So I don't think there's a need for a repeat of the great ammo panic. There has been a lot of fear-mongering going on out there, including all the BS about the UN treaty that we haven't signed, won't sign, and that our Senate will never ratify (2/3 majority required...)

Bravo

#7108706 - 11/24/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: Bigbuck215]  
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 19,722
17ACKLEYBEE Offline
Campfire Kahuna
17ACKLEYBEE  Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 19,722
A wash in the west.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by paulfish4570
my youngest son's best friend has stockpiled 9,000 rounds of .223, and 20-30 mags for his ar. he is still buying ...


That ain't hoarding.... smile


Anything under 20,000 per caliber is only being prepared for a rainy day.


NRA Lifetime Member
#7112645 - 11/25/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: PeaEye]  
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 780
GeorgiaBoiler Offline
Campfire Regular
GeorgiaBoiler  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 780
Land of Cotton
Originally Posted by PeaEye
I'm confident Obama's not going to go after guns and ammo, because doing so would be a political disaster for the Dems. Even if he wanted to, there is no way he can do so. He doesn't control the House and he's not going to. The GOP margin in the House is 44 seats. Enough of the Dems in the Senate, including our just elected Martin Heinrich from NM, are solid gun rights people, that nothing bad on guns will get through the Senate. I didn't think there was any reason for concern the first time, and the Dems have less power now than they did in Obama's first 2 years. So I don't think there's a need for a repeat of the great ammo panic. There has been a lot of fear-mongering going on out there, including all the BS about the UN treaty that we haven't signed, won't sign, and that our Senate will never ratify (2/3 majority required...)


I wish I were as confident as you. I don't trust the POS and wouldn't put it past him to try something with an executive order.

Last edited by GeorgiaBoiler; 11/25/12.
#7115014 - 11/26/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: GeorgiaBoiler]  
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,120
bluesman Offline
Campfire Regular
bluesman  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,120
Pittsburgh, Pa
Watch what the republicans do in the next month - they will kneel to his holiness and accept we the people getting screwed over again. They will sell our 2nd Amendment rights down the river in a heartbeat if it buys them more power and riches.

I have never "hoarded" ammo but reloading is, for me, an addictive hobby. For fifty years friends have given me their brass and I have reloaded it. Somehow I ended up with 200,000 + rounds in .50 caliber ammo cans out in the barn. Since I planned on using all this for hunting I guess I'm gonna need to live a VERY - VERY long time!

#7119817 - 11/28/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: bluesman]  
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 780
GeorgiaBoiler Offline
Campfire Regular
GeorgiaBoiler  Offline
Campfire Regular

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 780
Land of Cotton
Originally Posted by bluesman
Watch what the republicans do in the next month - they will kneel to his holiness and accept we the people getting screwed over again. They will sell our 2nd Amendment rights down the river in a heartbeat if it buys them more power and riches.

I have never "hoarded" ammo but reloading is, for me, an addictive hobby. For fifty years friends have given me their brass and I have reloaded it. Somehow I ended up with 200,000 + rounds in .50 caliber ammo cans out in the barn. Since I planned on using all this for hunting I guess I'm gonna need to live a VERY - VERY long time!


Depends on what you end up hunting.

#7125298 - 11/29/12 Re: Ammo hoarding? [Re: PeaEye]  
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 130
KMDGarage Offline
Member
KMDGarage  Offline
Member

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 130
Lathrop,Ca
Have a decent stock now but planning to get some more stocked up so I can shoot more. Never know when another run may come.


Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

AIH 160 1
Who's Online Now
462 registered members (1234, 117LBS, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1willett, 62 invisible), 1,294 guests, and 521 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod









Copyright © 2000-2018 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.074s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.9802 MB (Peak: 1.2230 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-11-17 23:02:23 UTC